Multi Regulator Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilroy

Reaction score
Greetings -
I have a 5 regulator dispensing setup (6 if you count the reg on the tank).

I picked up the regs from American Scientific, and hooked them up in the same way that many others have on the site.

I have a 50lb tank that I rent, and it is set at 30 psi, and then that comes into the regulator "bank". Each regulator in that bank has it's own pressure out.

I have Cider, Wine, Beer, Hard Lemonade, and Soda Water. Each has it's own pressure.

Everything is low except for the water (low 7psi - 12psi) water is at 30psi.

I am having really REALLY bad foaming probs on everything, except the water. Everything seems to be flowing at a rate that you would expect for the pressure assigned to it, nice and slow typically. Water comes out the tap like a rocket.

I Have tried to turn the other pressures down to a ridiculously low level, and I still get foam. I have hoses that are 8 feet I think 3/16 ID. Using Ventmatic faucets.
Freezer is temp set at 34 degrees.

I have tried to "regulate" the flow of the beverage in the hose, using a C clamp to clamp the hose, thinking that a slower flow in the hose will help, still not, just get major head, it does settle after a while into a nice bubbly brew after a minute or two, but you only get a 1/4 of a glass.

So any suggestions?

Thanks
Kilroy

Actually putting the clamp on the hose just knocks more CO2 out of solution so it's counterproductive. What kind of pressure gauges are you using on these regs? What's range on them?

How did you carbonate your beer?

It really just seems like an overcarb problem.

The pressure guages are 0-30 bought from the kegman.
All brew is force carbed at the dispensing pressure till done, usually about 2 weeks in the kegerator.

This might not account for all of your problem, but what temperature are the glasses you are pouring into? If they are room temp and your beer is barely above freezing, I would expect a good amount of foaming.

What is the difference in height from the center of the keg to the faucets?

The only other thing is whether you put the regulator bank together incorrectly and that you are actually pumping out at 30psi through the high pressure port on the regulators. Also, in order to keep the soda water from shooting out, you will need more than 8 feet of hose. You need to use more hose to restrict the flow rate down to a reasonable pour.

I use 15' of 3/16th on soda and 12' on everything else. Makes for a slow pour, but no foam.

This would be a pain to check, but a least one person on the board had a problem with the way the holes were drilled through the shanks. They were drilled from both ends and were a little offset where they met.

Are you sure that your beer lines are 3/16ths ID? They look like 1/4 ID from the pictures. If they are 1/4 ID, that would be a huge problem.

Latest posts

Back