Multi Purpose Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorsbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, slowly building out my setup and the next thing i'm looking at is a pump for pumping water through an immersion chiller (and one day perhaps a CFC) as well as recirculating BLC cleaner for my keg setup. It'd be great if i could have 1 pump that would serve both purposes.

I was following this guide Here. That pump Here is probably fine for recirculating BLC through my keg system but i doubt its enough for an immersion chiller?

So i was looking at this pump Here thats probably more than enough for an IC or CFC but would that be way too much for recirculating BLC through keg lines?

If it could work i'd rather get the stronger one because i was thinking a third awesome use for the pump would be to fill a bucket with hot tap water and use higher pressure water for cleaning kettles and whatnot as opposed to slow tap water and elbow grease.

Aside from whether that much flow through 3/16" beer line would cause any issues (foaming, anything else?) i was wondering if a pump designed to run through 3/4"-1 1/4" tubing adapted to run through 3/16" line might over stress and kill the motor?

Lot of thoughts there, i know :)

Thanks for reading! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the bigger pump to run ice water through my Chiller. I'd save the headache of trying use a pump for my beer lines and build one of these on the cheap. Fill it, pump it, hook it up, open the tap, pull the trigger done. Next tap. Not that easy with a pump. no step downs...no pressure spikes blowing sanitizer all over the place.

5458806287_a05aa55255.jpg

Thanks but i'd feel much more comfortable flowing BLC through my lines (it needs 15-20 minutes contact time from what i've read) rather than just letting the BLC sit in the lines, or flow through for just a short time with that thing. And not to mention thats quite a waste of co2 and BLC, the item you posted i vaguely remember seeing costs $60 by itself. What i'm proposing will serve 2-3 purposes and cost similar. Even if i got the second smaller pump separate that would still be cheaper than that and work better.

Then i'd also use the same pump to rinse the lines with water then star san after running the BLC. It actually shouldnt be that hard and should work well. I got the idea from this youtube video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qZUlTSW0Y[/ame]

So, anyone know if that larger pump would not work for doing the keg system? Whether it will overheat the pump motor running it through such restrictive lines compared to what it was designed to run through. And any other issues with that?

Even if i do have to get both pumps for the different purposes i'd need to know if that restriction for that pump power is a problem as i mentioned i'd also like to use the pump for cleaning with pressure (and thus pushing through small lines).

Thanks

Latest posts

Back