Multi mix Apple-Pear Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaftandDirty

Reaction score
I have recently started my first batch and am hugely impressed with it's success. Thanks mostly to all you folks right here on the cider forum. I have learned much from your lessons and comments. I decided to use a few types of Apple Juice/Cider as this is more of a experiment than a simple throwing of 4 gal of cider and 1 gal of pear and throw champagne yeast on it. I have had it in primary for 3 days and it is already at 6%. The O.G. was 1.072 on the Ale yeast I selected.

The recipe ingredients:

1 gal Central Market HEB Organic Pear Juice
2 gal Louiseburg All Natural Apple Cider
1 gal Motts 100% apple Juice
3 cans of Seneca Apple Juice concentrate

White Labs Ale Yeast

after 24hrs it had a very white krausen about 3" thick and was bubbling like mad. I think I am gonna let it go to around 10-12% and pasteurize it so it hopefully stays sweet. :tank:

One thing I forgot on my ingredients list... I also added 2 lb of light brown sugar.

Also I did not add any water to this batch.. I left the concentrate as is.

Krausen is very unusual with cider. It normally doesn't happen.

Since you didn't dilute the concentrate, you really had no reason to add brown sugar. I'm assuming you left the concentrate as is to give it more flavor, but adding sugar increases the alcohol and therefore dilutes/covers up the flavor.

What was your OG?

As stated in the original post the OG was 1.072. I am not worried at the flavor as much. I will be stopping this from fully fermenting out by pasteurizing. I guess if it fails to produce the flavor I want, I will try again. If it works out well that will be great. I will report what it does either way.

So I Primaried it and then waited two weeks and secondaried it and then a week later gelatined it and racked it after two days... then it finished out to 1.000 almost a month in the carboys total. It clarified great.. it tastes fine, but I bottled it, with no sugar add and gonna see how it ages... all in all simply a great Cider. The pear needs to be upped to 2 gallons I think though.

Latest posts

Back