MSDS Binder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm rather an old school in some ways. I was taught when I started brewing to always keep an updated MSDS binder in my brewhouse or nearby when brewing. My current Binder seems rather thinner than my old one but for the life of me, I cannot remember what else I should add. Currently, I have Star-san, B-Bright, Clorox, Bar Keepers Friend, Oxygen Wash, Propane, CO2, OxyClean, B-T-F, Windex, Dawn, and Pinsol. I cannot for the life of me think what else I should have in the binder for the brewhouse.

Maybe I’m a bit naïve, but why would you need a MSDS file at a private residence (I assume that’s your “brewhouse”)? I’m a volunteer firefighter and very familiar with the purpose of them, but I can’t see where someone would keep one at their house. I know certain businesses or companies keep them on site, and they are required in many instances as a “duty to inform” document. They can also be used in emergencies when dealing with certain exposures or spills for specific substances that might pose higher than normal damage to health or environment. When we respond to somebody’s home, we kinda just assume there could be just about anything under the sun there.
Just curious?

Maybe I’m a bit naïve, but why would you need a MSDS file at a private residence (I assume that’s your “brewhouse”)? I’m a volunteer firefighter and very familiar with the purpose of them, but I can’t see where someone would keep one at their house. I know certain businesses or companies keep them on site, and they are required in many instances as a “duty to inform” document. They can also be used in emergencies when dealing with certain exposures or spills for specific substances that might pose higher than normal damage to health or environment. When we respond to somebody’s home, we kinda just assume there could be just about anything under the sun there.
Just curious?

Ditto ...

Also, even in business/industry situations, the physical MSDS binders are basically a thing of the past. At least in the last three hospitals that I have worked at, the MSDS information is simply a link on the company intranet.

For me I like to keep safety items in my brewhouse. For just in case and because for me it was how I was taught. Even in a private home it is good to have msds on hand if you use something often. I have grandchildren and goddess forbid they get access to any chemicals in the home no matter how safe I keep them its far faster than trying to look it up or calling the poison hotline. It is also for me is a carry over from my working days where it was required. For myself the question is why would you not want to have safety information readily available incase of accidents. How many issues could have been eased by having the Information readily near by.

Ditto ...

Also, even in business/industry situations, the physical MSDS binders are basically a thing of the past. At least in the last three hospitals that I have worked at, the MSDS information is simply a link on the company intranet.
Let me ask you this what happens if the power goes out and a situation occurs where you need the msds and the work intranet is down? While I do understand why many companies are switching to an online digital msds, but the military taught me that power is never fully 100% reliable

Well, I see your logic. But I don't keep a MSDS binder basically for the same reason that I don't have an emergency eye wash station or an emergency shower station in my home. These are simply OSHA or NFPA requirements for workplace safety and they don't apply to private residences. They are in place to protect employees from chemicals/items in the workplace that they may not have a working knowledge.

I do read and understand the labels on all the products I use. I don't keep flammable liquids in the same room with a gas water heater or any other flame source. I'm familiar with all the chemicals and items in my home because I'm the one purchasing and using them. Yes, safety is very important to me in my home for my family. But that does not mean that I need to follow all the govt. requirements for workplace safety.

Just because a particular gov't agency doesn't have jurisdiction doesn't mean their safety guidelines or requirements aren't useful, helpful, effective.

Water mineralization salts
Phosphoric/lactic/citric acids
Carbon monoxide
4-10% ethanol solutions
If you have dogs, hops

Let me ask you this what happens if the power goes out and a situation occurs where you need the msds and the work intranet is down? While I do understand why many companies are switching to an online digital msds, but the military taught me that power is never fully 100% reliable
I just bought PB Blaster, Marvel mystery oil, auto parts cleaner, engine starter and some chemical compound to clean cloudy plastic headlights for and old car project I'm working on. Add that to the decades of other car stuff, gardening sprays, fertilizers and bug killers out in the garage, and I would need a pretty big binder if I was worried about that. There are likely 25+ different cleaning products in my house.
I don't need a data sheet to know that you're not supposed to drink Roundup, Dawn or wd-40.
Material Safety data sheets were created to protect industrial workers who use large quantities of hazardous materials.
Cleaning products sold at the retail level are (mostly) diluted to a pretty safe level and have the information you need to know printed on the container. Yeah, you should be careful if you have grandkids running around, but the MSDS isn't going to make their pain go away if they get something nasty in their eyes. If safety is really your #1 priority, kid-proof the house and garage, and keep everything dangerous out of reach and possibly secured in locked cabinets.

Msds? I dealt with these almost my 40 year working life. Made them, kept up with the dang things, and managed them later on, and the folks who kept up with them. A complete waste of time in my opinion. Just another make work from our not friends at the federal government. No one referenced them except inspectors. No one. Ever.

:off:

The MSDS binder at a company I worked for had White-Out and ink pen data sheets.
Just in case somebody got exposed, or took it internally, I suppose.

Just curious?
And you're be right. This is what I have in my garage at all times:

CO2. CO2-NO2 mix. CO2-Argon mix. Propane. Natural gas. Acetylene. O2. Gasoline. Diesel. Kerosene.

And that's just the gases(*)!

And you're be right. This is what I have in my garage at all times:

CO2. CO2-NO2 mix. CO2-Argon mix. Propane. Natural gas. Acetylene. O2. Gasoline. Diesel. Kerosene.

And that's just the gases(*)!
If this helps OP feel safer about brewing and having kids running around the house, I don't know why we need to dissuade OP about something that is completely harmless to everybody.

Exactly. I’m not saying that it’s wrong and if that makes the OP feel more comfortable than that’s fine. I was genuinely interested why, as I have never heard of that outside of the workplace. I personally can’t imagine spending the time and effort and paper to assemble a file for household items. The MSDS for CO2 is 11 pages long, Windex is 9 and the one for Dawn dish soap is 7 pages believe it or not. We have one where I work that is about 5 inches thick and covered with a thick layer of dust. The only person concerned with its existence is our safety compliance officer. Most folks probably don’t even know how to use one if they had to.
Carry on.
Sláinte

The best comment on the effectiveness of rules, such as the requirement to keep MSDS files, is in the book Fate Is The Hunter by the late Ernest K. Gann. While in the context of aviation safety it’s applicable to many other activities.
”Rule books are made of paper. They will not cushion the sudden meeting of metal and stone”.

Off topic-for anyone interested in aviation, FITH is probably the best aviation book ever written.

SDS, formerly MSDS information should be readily available. If you can look it up on your phone it qualifies in California, you can then produce that for an inspector and you are good.

It's important to respect chemicals and be informed of any potential hazards regardless. From a business perspective, it's a legal requirement SDSs be provided by suppliers and stored in the work place. They are essential for risk assessment and training staff. If an employee has an accident and the employer can't document the injured employee received adequate training, read risk assessments, etc., the employer is in breach of employment laws and potentially screwed. In many situations, due to the nature of the business, the regulations are an annoyance, but in others they are essential. Since being introduced and adhered to far fewer accidents have occurred in potentially hazardous work environments.

Back