Mr ris

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramitt

Reaction score
For ****s and giggles I bought one of the Mr Beer premium kits off woot a few weeks ago. I figured the fermentor would be nice for experimental batches and the bottles useful for knowing how my beers are carbing up. Like my wife would say, it is cute!
It came with the West Coast Pale ale kit, but I was not interested in using it as such, so I decided to try turning it into an Imperial stout.

In addition to the can of prehopped LME and the booster ( what the hell might as well do something with it) I did a mini Biab.

1 lbs 3.4 oz HME
12 oz Corn Syrup Solids ( Mr Beer Booster)

3 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 60l
8 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Chocolate
1/2 cup flaked oatmeal ( instant oats) - this was last second for the hell of it.

.5 oz Super Galena 12%aa @60
.5 oz Willamette 5.5% @15
.5 oz Willamette 5.5% @0

I ended up with 2 gals @ 1.090 with an estimated IBUs of 68 ( I had to guesstimate with the hopped extract). I pitched one hydrated pack of Nottingham

Prefermintation it was thick, rich and tasty, should be interesting to see how it turns out. I am considering after 3 weeks fermentation to rack 1/2 of it onto some bourbon soaked oak chips.

How long should I expect this RIS to need to Bottle condition, I know some need up to 6 months.

How much LME is it? At first I read just the grains and thought "Wow like 12+% roasted barley? Enjoy your nasty cigarette stout :p"

Lol, sorry I will add the ingredients from the kit.
1lbs 3.4 oz HME
12 oz Corn Syrup solids.

So this is going on 1 month in the bottle @62 - 65 degs. I am guessing this would benefit from longer than the 4 weeks I usually condition beers in my cellar. Being a small batch anyone have a recommendation flr when I should sample? This is my first RIS and my biggest beer to date.

Personally I'd crack one at one month just because of bad patience. Wait, did you put this entirely in the liter-sized Mr. Beer bottles? If you only have like 8 bottles of it I'd just let it age as long as you can bear.

No I bottled it in 12 oz glass. I only have 12 RIS and another 18 I blended with a bourbon barrel barleywine that got way over oaked. So I am really trying to be patient.

Back