mr beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk34

Reaction score
i got a mr beer kit for a gift. i used it as my fermenter slash bottling i know should have racked secondary. however it is day eleven didn't know anything about gravity i used dry extract instead of the can liquid extract it still has bubbles at the top. does that mean it is still fermenting?

Depends on how much bubbling. Let it sit a few more days.

I'd recommend you go spend the $6-$7 on a hydrometer because that will tell you for sure when it is done. Short of that, err on the side of caution and wait a full 3+ weeks before bottling. Either way you go, if you are going to continue making beer, get a hydrometer because it really is an essential tool for the home brewer.

i did buy one however the one i bought is way to big for the mr beer i ordered but it take another 10 days to get it

bobk34,
Two things that might slow your fermentation: too cool of temperatures & MrBeer yeast packets used to be really small (2 grams?).

If you have your fermenter somewhere between 68 - 75 degrees with MrBeer yeast, you should be fine.

If the quantity of yeast pitched was small that will add time to your fermentation.

+1 to waiting the 3 weeks.

God luck & have fun!

Usually folks use a turkey baster or a wine thief to remove a sample, place it into a test jar (a long, cylindrical holding vessel) and then read the hydrometer from that. Even if the hydrometer fits into the Mr. Beer, you'll be hard pressed to read it accurately from inside the fermenter.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NDHGEM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Take a sample using a turkey baster and fill that test "jar" up about 2/3 of the way. If you sanitize everything you will be able to dump the sample back into your fermenter. In a 5 gallon batch it is no worry if you're missing a few ounces but in a gallon batch, every bit will count. I usually grab about 6 oz, throw back 4 oz and taste the remaining 2.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back