Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just remember that Mr. Beer is not a sealed bottle, Its not good to leave beer in a Mr. Beer keg for longer than 10 - 14. For you, I would ferment it in the bucket for atleast two weeks and then transfer right before bottling. I just bought an ale pale. That is the way to go. I am finally to the point to where I have a carboy and an ale pale. Yea, no more mr. beer. Feel like I graduated from college or something, haha.

arrigo said:
I just bought an ale pale. That is the way to go. I am finally to the point to where I have a carboy and an ale pale. Yea, no more mr. beer. Feel like I graduated from college or something, haha.

Yeah, that is where I am headed. I have made and drank one batch of Mr. Beer, and am fermenting my second now. I have been pricing carboys and buckets this week, so I am not far from graduating either.

I have really enjoyed making the beer more than I have the buzz of drinking it. My problem is that I want to make it quicker than I can drink it!

431brew said:
Yeah, that is where I am headed. I have made and drank one batch of Mr. Beer, and am fermenting my second now. I have been pricing carboys and buckets this week, so I am not far from graduating either.

I have really enjoyed making the beer more than I have the buzz of drinking it. My problem is that I want to make it quicker than I can drink it!
That's my problem, too. I've bought a couple of 3-gal. carboys because I think I want to stick with smaller batches than full 5-gal. But now that I've got those, I think this afternoon I'm going to go to the LHBS and pick up a couple of air locks and a bottling wand.

I'll be bottling a wheat and an oatmeal stout tomorrow.

The reason time is more important in open fermenters is not so much the proximity of the still beer to dead yeast, but of the danger of oxidation reactions occurring as the beer sits.

Most do not advise leaving the beer in an open fermenter for more than 2 weeks. Here is some reading I have done on it. There is a bunch more. Search open fermentation.
http://brewery.org/brewery/library/OpenFerm.html

Ok.... I bottled, but I'm not sure what I have. That wheat was S-T-I-N-K-Y!

I've read a few anecdotes from some people here that have said the stinky beer they threw away, save a couple of bottles, ended up being some of their best.

So... it's bottled. But I'm not expecting much.

well I bottled my WCPA exactly 2 weks ago. Tried one beer on this past Saturday.
Beer was cloudy and a hint of a cidery taste I feel. my father did not get the cidery taste but noticed the cloudiness. also not much of a head.

Today is exactly 15 days bottled. I will put it in the fridge this weekend. Superbowl baby! Go Giants!
anyway, what do you think I did wrong? followed the directions to a T.
any advice?

:rockin: :mug:

What you did wrong is decide to drink them after 2 weeks in the bottle. Conditioning takes time, and it sounds like they are even done carbing yet. I think that priming sugar that hasn't fermented yet gives a fruity, cidery taste to beer. Plus the cloudiness means that things haven't settled into the bottom of the bottle yet. It's ok, your beer will be fine for superbowl. But if you want really good beer that's nice and clear, expect to have to wait 1 to 3 months after bottling before start drinking it. Then stick it in the fridge for a week to let the last of the haze settle out.

I've had my beer sitting the in the Mr. Beer tub for coming up on four weeks now. Should I just dump it then? If it is open aerated, I am guessing that it is worthless. It never foamed up much, but I did not add sugar to it yet. Isn't that when the real fermentation starts? I am going to re-read the manual. I feel like an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockin:

Yea, my first batch of Mr. Beer was the same way. The first bottle I was trying was only bottled for two weeks as well. As soon as I put it in the fridge it went cloudy. After a day of chilling I popped the top and tried it. It had a cidery taste that I didn't to much care for. But I let them sit for a couple more weeks and decided to give it a try, not a taste of cider and crystal clear. I also found that leaving the beer in the fridge for a 4-7 days before drinking also cleared the cloudiness. I don't use booster or table sugar any more and I haven't had the cidery taste since.

I mean you already brewed it. That doesn't happen with every case of leaving it in longer. Its just a possibility. It could be fine. Poor an ounce out of the tap and give it a try. Bottle it for carbonation and conditioning if it tastes alright. It will be flat and may be sweet but should taste like beer.

ghostofdavid said:
It never foamed up much, but I did not add sugar to it yet. Isn't that when the real fermentation starts? :rockin:

With most mr. beers, they don't really foam up to much. The only thing you should have added was the booster or ume, the beer mix, and the yeast. This is where the fermentation takes place. Let it sit for normally 14 day with the mr. beer keg. Yours is done fermenting, all you need to do is follow the directions for adding sugar to you bottles for bottling. Adding the sugar will give the yeast more sugar to eat to create co2 to carbonate your beer. As said above your beer is probably fine after the four weeks, its worth a shot.

arrigo said:
With most mr. beers, they don't really foam up to much. The only thing you should have added was the booster or ume, the beer mix, and the yeast. This is where the fermentation takes place. Let it sit for normally 14 day with the mr. beer keg. Yours is done fermenting, all you need to do is follow the directions for adding sugar to you bottles for bottling. Adding the sugar will give the yeast more sugar to eat to create co2 to carbonate your beer. As said above your beer is probably fine after the four weeks, its worth a shot.

I agree.... Do you run risks by leaving beer in a Mr Beer for 4 weeks? Yes. IF oxydation hasn't taken hold, will this be REALLY good beer? YES YES YES. Bottle that stuff up carefully and leave it for another month, chill it for a week, and you will be astounded at how great it is:)

hello all. so mr. beer arrived at my house yesterday and i made a batch and now it is fermenting or whatever. i really like how the keg looks. it is brown and shaped like a barrel. its really cool lookin'

my question is, is "mr. beer" a good product? i know absolutely nothing about brewing.

There is a sticky in the beginners forum all about Mr Beer, check it out. I started with it too. Good luck on the new brew!:mug:

Welcome to the new obsessio...er I mean hobby.:rockin:

To answer your question...No...and Yes. A lot of people slam the good Senior Brewskie, but it is a good introduction to home brewing. It's a stepping stone that many of us passed through on the way to 5 gallon batches.

Now don't judge all homebrew based on what come out the first time....THe ingredients leave something to be desired (Pre-hopped extract). It's not the same as if you did a boil with special grains, extracts and hops.

But if you do research into homebrewing, use good sanitization, even skip buying the Mr. Beer kit ingredients and scale the recipes found on this site down to 2 gallon batches and buy fresh ingredients. You can do 2 gallon full boils and ferment in your Mr. Beer and make some damn find beer.

Here is a good place to start a whole thread on Mr. Beer https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46360

If you got any questions that's a good place to start.

I also started with a Mr. beer. The beer that I made from it was not to bad, but its all gone now and I'm waiting on my first 5gal batch to finish up in secondary so I can bottle it. I plan to brew a porter this weekend. My Mr. Beer kit is headed to ebay.

i too started with a mr beer kit. if you follow the directions, it will make decent beer. so yes it's a great intro to homebrewing.

if you continue with this hobby tho you will definetly outgrow mr. beer fast.

i say do a couple of brews with mr beer. if youlike the results and wish to continue consider stepping up to atleast a true brew kit:

http://www.crosby-baker.com/TrueBrew.htm

available at most lbhs.

good luck with your brew and continue the tradition of homebrewing!

thanks all. i do hope to plan to "graduate" to better equipment.

but honestly what i think i am looking for in equipment is in aesthetics. i want a beer brew kit that looks neat like if someone were to come over they would think i was a chemist or something. like i want a whole bunch of clear bottles and stuff and fancy looking gas tanks and i want it to bubble.

now is this possible?

I suspected this was a joke from the first post, now this pretty much confirms it. ;) Either that or somebody has had one too many :tank: :drunk:

You'll find that any brew equipment is aesthetically pleasing. Come on, stainless steel, tubes, bubbling brews, etc. Also it will insite questions from guests. Just try to avoid launching into an hour long story about your brewing hobby until they actually ask for it;)

i can't contain myself. i know that the directions tell me to keep the mr. beer 'keg' out of sunlight. but i can't help but put the mr. beer keg on top of a dresser inside of my room. i have this obsession with staring at the keg.

so sue me.

it's ok to keep the mr. beer fermenter out in the open in a regular lighted room right?

Is there a problem with keeping the bottles upside down during carbonation? Turning them over every couple of days or so?

I know it will settle at the top, but if they all go right-side-up during bottle conditioning it will settle to the bottom.

One of my coolers broke and the only way I can get all the bottles in the one I have is if about 1/3 of them go in upside down.

Fire Me Boy! said:
Is there a problem with keeping the bottles upside down during carbonation? Turning them over every couple of days or so?

I know it will settle at the top, but if they all go right-side-up during bottle conditioning it will settle to the bottom.

One of my coolers broke and the only way I can get all the bottles in the one I have is if about 1/3 of them go in upside down.

i doubt that would be a problem

but what do i know. i am a n00b at this brewing stuff

Cola it is advisable to keep any beer out of the light in a dark quiet area to ferment. Disturb it and expose it to light as little as possible.

Pugilist said:
Cola it is advisable to keep any beer out of the light in a dark quiet area to ferment. Disturb it and expose it to light as little as possible.

roger that, mr. boxer.

I'm building my first brew.. (mr beer canidian draft).
My dad's a wine maker and thought he'd hook me.....
Anyways, the draft call for 7 days...
Is it optimal for 7 days?
Will longer be better?
I can still see some bubbles floating up.
It smells a bit acidic.
Is that normal?
I'll be 7 days in the morning.

......Can I taste test it without causing an issue?
timg
ps: I moved this here as I posted in the incorrect catagory last evening.

timgman said:
I'm building my first brew.. (mr beer canidian draft).
My dad's a wine maker and thought he'd hook me.....
Anyways, the draft call for 7 days...
Is it optimal for 7 days?
Will longer be better?
I can still see some bubbles floating up.
It smells a bit acidic.
Is that normal?
I'll be 7 days in the morning.

......Can I taste test it without causing an issue?
timg
ps: I moved this here as I posted in the incorrect catagory last evening.

Go ahead and pour a little into a glass from the spigot and taste it. It should taste like a flat beer and won't be an issue at all. If it has an off taste, let it sit awhile longer.

It taste much better than I thought.. it kinda has a bit of a..... ipa bite. and it seems to have a bit of carbonation to it..

Should I wait to bottle? ot shall I say...
will it be even better if i wait?
thanks
timg

timgman said:
It taste much better than I thought.. it kinda has a bit of a..... ipa bite. and it seems to have a bit of carbonation to it..

Should I wait to bottle? ot shall I say...
will it be even better if i wait?
thanks
timg

I am far from a expert, but I think you would be o.k. either way.
I believe that it would lose the "bite" if it rested a little bit longer.
Someone with a bit more knowledge will correct me if I am wrong.
:mug:

Maybe I could bottle some now and half later? see what one works better?

blackshirtproud.. are you from grand island near buffalo ny?

timgman said:
Maybe I could bottle some now and half later? see what one works better?

blackshirtproud.. are you from grand island near buffalo ny?

I am performing the same experiment right now myself. Bottled a couple beers each week for four weeks. My week one stuff was awesome (A couple of work friends thought so two, so it wasn't just me patting myself on the back thankfully.)
Week two had almost very little carbonation what so ever, tasted o.k. but just went flat very quickly. I think I might not of rinsed all of the One Step sanitizer all that well and may have killed the remaining yeasties to carb:confused: .
Week three taste test will happen some time next week. All of them bottle conditioned for three weeks, I hope the rest work out as good as the first week.

Grand Island Nebraska, possibly the flattest place on earth.:cool:

AFAIK the main gripe with the Mr. Beer system is the quality of the ingredients with the hopped malt extracts and what not. However, it does seem like a decent little setup with a spigot for bottling and a built in airlock as far as small fermentors are concerned.

Would there be a tremendous advantage to going and buying a bunch of new equipment compared to just making a high-quality 2-gallon batch and using the Mr Beer fermentor?

I find the kegs kind of a pain in the butt to clean, honestly. The fact that the spigot is attached can also be an issue eventually, I would think. More places to harbor bacteria.

The lid is an airlock of sorts, but you have to be careful with it. You have to tighten it, but you can't tighten it too tightly...and I like having the visual gauge of a three-part airlock (I've gotten spoiled).

I'm not saying they're useless, because they're absolutely not. But for me personally, I prefer the carboy or bucket.

Ok, I'm on my third batch of Mr Beer.

First was a Canadian high country draft. Came out great.

Second was a Cooper's Draught. Came out great. A bit bitter for my taste, but matched the flavor profile. 7% alcohol!

Yesterday I started a batch of the Mr Beer's Oktoberfest Vienna Lager. I followed the directions explicitly. I used only distilled water and made sure to sterilize everything. After chilling the wort back down to room temperature, I poured it into the fermentor, filled the fermentor the rest of the way to 8.5 qt and added the yeast per directions. After five minutes, I stirred it vigorously per directions.

24 hours later there's nothing going on in there. No foam. There's a tiny ring of something floating in the center; it's hard to tell what it is, but at most it covers 10% of the surface. I drew off a tiny sample and sniffed it to confirm my suspicions. Nothing's happening.

The can is dated to expire in 2010. I ordered this kit through the Army Air Force Exchange Service, and I also got a Mr Beer Cowboy Lager kit with it. So, my question is this:

Can I salvage this batch by pulling the yeast from the Cowboy Lager kit and mixing it in? I can get more yeast for that kit later when I get a chance to hit the LHBS. Or should I dump it?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Dave

Dave, you're worrying over nothing. It'll get going soon enough, stop worrying. There's no reason to repitch at this point. On a side note: Lager yeast ferment at about 50 degrees F. How do you plan on chilling your fermenter down to that temp? If you let it go at room temp, it'll taste like a california steam beer at best if the temp is around 60F, or just be really nasty and virtually undrinkable if the temp is around 70F. After primary fermentation is complete, you'll need to get the temp down to the mid thirties to Forty degrees, for the lagering stage, which can take a month or more. You're gonna need a plan.

Back