Mr. Beer Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostofdavid

Reaction score
Formerly Cincinnati, OH; Currently Columbus, IN
I purchased a Mr. Beer kit at the local Bed, Bath, and Beyond for less than 25 bucks a pop. I was wondering, before I opened it, if any of you have had any experience with this very introductory piece. I have never brewed before and don't have room for a lot of equipment since I live in an apartment. I know I can get a lot more for 75 more bucks, but was wondering if any of you had any positive experience with this kit. Thanks!

Thanks! The mods can close this since it appears to have been asked a dozen times. I did not know that searching with an astricks in the middle would help me track down the Mr. Beer mentioned threads. I typed in Mr Beer without and thought my search was useless. Thanks!

It's a good way to start. And don't let the size of your apartment scare you from brewing bigger batches, you'll be suprised where you can fit things.

Welcome to the board. I, like many other people here, started with Mr. Beer, so don't let that get you down.

I would also say that there are many of us here that brew with modified equipment in an apartment...even going all the way and making beer the "all-grain" style (AG). I do this, and find ways around the space issue.

Let us know exactly what your concerns may be about the apartment situation, and we'll do our best to help you out and give you ideas.

I bought one, used it one time then moved on. I still use the fermentor when I do a 2 1/2 gallon experimental batch, so it does not tye up any other equiptment.

From the site you list...

a 6.5 gal fermentor.
A lid for the fermentor (if it doesn't come with one.
airlock
sanitizer
any of the beer kits that you see on the site that are extract kits.
bottles and caps.

nice to have:
hydrometer (Tells you when beer is done dermenting)
funnel
big pot
big spoon

follow directions for boiling the kit, cool, put into the sanitized fermentor and add yeast. close lid and wait 7-10 days then bottle in sanitized bottles with priming sugar. wait 3 - 4 weeks and drink.

I have oversimplified, but not by too much.

OR

one of theseL
Brewer's Best Equipment Kit

and one of these:
Listermann's American Pale Ale Kit

and bottles...

Several websites have nice starter kits of equipment.

Northern Brewer has a nice way of showing a basic kit, with upgrade options (carboys in place of buckets, etc.)

Forrest at Austin Home Brewing can also hook you up with equipment. They have a fixed price for shipping if you spend a minimum amount.

MoreBeer is another good one.

Good luck with your brewing.

As I understand it, glass doesnt scratch in a way that plastic does so it is less prone to ruin batches from lack of sanitation. I really like the pictures on Midwest.

I am not against plastic, especially since I have never brewed beer before. Sorry if I am asking too many questions.

Best bang for the buck? Plastic from Midwest?

ghostofdavid said:
As I understand it, glass doesnt scratch in a way that plastic does so it is less prone to ruin batches from lack of sanitation. I really like the pictures on Midwest.

I am not against plastic, especially since I have never brewed beer before. Sorry if I am asking too many questions.

Best bang for the buck? Plastic from Midwest?
According to the website, you've got a Old Time Pottery in your town. You can save $10 on 5 gallon glass carboys buying them there.
http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#q1=1191+Smiley+Avenue%2C+Cincinnati%2C+OH+45240&mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-84.522886&lat=39.295899&mag=3
If you start with a $59.99 Brewers Best equipment kit and a $15 carboy from Old Time pottery you're doing pretty good for $75.

My ¢2,
Matt

For fermenters, take a good look at the "Better Bottle". It's a plastic carboy which comes in at least a couple sizes. I have a 6 gal and a 5 gal. The six is good for primary fermentation (it has more of a head-space for vigorous fermentations). The five is good for secondary fermentation.

Advantages:
- won't shatter (like a glass carboy)
- not as heavy as glass (or as slippery when wet)
- you can watch the fermentation process (it's more fun than looking at a bucket)
- it cleans quite easily (not quite as easy as an open bucket - but easy enough)
Disadvantages:
- more expensive than a bucket
- it can melt if you pour really hot water in it (so don't do it - hot tap water and a good cleaner is all you need)
- since it's plastic, it can scratch internally if you are dumb enough to scrub inside with something abrasive (as mentioned above, you won't need to do this so it's a non-issue)

I went with better bottles, but you can have great results with any of the three options. If you search the forum, there are tons of threads debating if glass, buckets, or better bottles are superior.

In terms of where to buy - check out the major retailers, and do some comparison shopping. What I did (and others do) is load up the shopping cart with the same items in each store, add the shipping, tax, etc., and see which is the best deal. Or split the order between two or three vendors if there are local deals to be had.

Some retailers have great deals on shipping, but slightly higher prices. Others may offer lower prices and you may spend more even with higher shipping.

Good luck - selecting your equipment is fun, but as many people here can attest, it becomes an addiction.

ChrisS said:
From the site you list...

a 6.5 gal fermentor.
A lid for the fermentor (if it doesn't come with one.
airlock
sanitizer
any of the beer kits that you see on the site that are extract kits.
bottles and caps.

nice to have:
hydrometer (Tells you when beer is done dermenting)
funnel
big pot
big spoon

follow directions for boiling the kit, cool, put into the sanitized fermentor and add yeast. close lid and wait 7-10 days then bottle in sanitized bottles with priming sugar. wait 3 - 4 weeks and drink.

I have oversimplified, but not by too much.

OR

one of theseL
Brewer's Best Equipment Kit

and one of these:
Listermann's American Pale Ale Kit

and bottles...
Good list if you want to stay local and shop at Listermann's, although I like carboys and would go with a carboy, carboy brush, stopper and airlock.

An added benefit of shopping there is the advice you can get, not only from Dan, Chuck, or whoever else may be working, but sometimes even the customers. I was in there once and guy asked me if I could help him out with a recipe conversion. I made a call to a brewing friend that I knew had ProMash and we whipped up a good ingredient list on the spot. Plus, you may decide to start with brewing kits, then maybe tweak them a bit. They can help you out with substitutions or other equipment you may want to add down the line as you get a few batches under your belt.

never used MR.Beer but I know that you can brew a coopers kit for less money if you have a 5 gallon bucket and a lid and a big stock pot and it tastes pretty damn good. but like everyone else said you can get a better kit for not very much money, I live in an apartment and make a lot of home brew!

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Good list if you want to stay local and shop at Listermann's, although I like carboys and would go with a carboy, carboy brush, stopper and airlock.

Just a note, if you do go with a plastic carboy(better bottle) do not get a carboy brush, it can scratch the plastic. Only get a carboy brush for use with glass carboys.

gpogo said:
Just a note, if you do go with a plastic carboy(better bottle) do not get a carboy brush, it can scratch the plastic. Only get a carboy brush for use with glass carboys.

Nice add. I could see how someone new might see a carboy brush in a brew shop or website and assume they need one for their better bottle.

From a reputable shop, I saw that there are such things as two stage fermentation kits. Is it worth the extra thirty dollars or so for the second carboy to make twice-fermented beer? The site advertises it as to make stronger alcohol content beer, meads, and that the beer will be clearer in appearance and smoother in taste. Is this true/worth it?

I would like to brew mead sometime, so is this extra carboy worth it?

Thanks, fellas!

And a thanks to those of you who told me to not use a brush on the plastic carboys. Saved me a bunch of grief!!

ghostofdavid said:
From a reputable shop, I saw that there are such things as two stage fermentation kits. Is it worth the extra thirty dollars or so for the second carboy to make twice-fermented beer? The site advertises it as to make stronger alcohol content beer, meads, and that the beer will be clearer in appearance and smoother in taste. Is this true/worth it?

I would like to brew mead sometime, so is this extra carboy worth it?

Thanks, fellas!

And a thanks to those of you who told me to not use a brush on the plastic carboys. Saved me a bunch of grief!!

Well, it's not exactly twice fermented. Once your beer is fermented, it's fermented. The "secondary" fermentation vessel is basically a conditioning vessel or bright tank, which means it just a place to store your beer to clarify, condition and dry-hop (if you're dry-hopping). I would say that if you've got the funds to do it, it's best to get it now. You won't have to pay the shipping costs twice, and you'll have the equipment when you need it.

And yes, extra carboy's and buckets are worth it. If you get serious into it, then you'll always have them full. If you don't, you can always sell them on craigslist and make most if not all, your money back so you have nothing to lose.

ghostofdavid said:
I have never brewed before and don't have room for a lot of equipment since I live in an apartment.

Just quoting this. Search for it in a year to 18 months...

You seem like the type that may stick around for a while.

Back