Mr beer kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
IM an all grain brewer. So I know my beer will probably be much better then a mr. Beer kit. But this guy is selling 10 cans( so ten 2.5 gallon batches) for $20. I mean...it's still beer. I'm tempted to buy it and make some cheapo beer.

Thoughts?

How old are they? There was a guy on youtube who brewed something like a 10 year old Mr. Beer kit, that was supposed to be something resembling pale, came out black and apparently nasty as all get out from staled extract.

Check the dates on what you buy. A lot of Mr Beer kits sit on shelves a while and expire by the time a consumer gets their hands on it. My original Mr Beer had expired yeast that didn't make beer worth drinking. Now I use my Mr Beer keg as a secondary to experiment with small batch flavors of oak, bourbon or different hops.

I've had decent mr. Beer results before I started AG BiaB... There's a Mr. Beer forum where folks give recipes using Mr. Beer cans of HLME ( hopped LME) and steeping grains or fruit or spices...

You can turn a pretty basic Mr Beer kit into a fairly involved brew.

Granted, I think all of my AG efforts have come out superior to my Mr Beer brews, but I was just starting out and have learned a lot more since then. I enjoyed the Mr. Beer kits I brewed. They were fine beers.

Back