Moving to Lexington, SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertHSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My family is relocating to Lexington SC this July.

Is there an active homebrew club in the Columbia/Lexington area?

I was going to ask at a local place a couple of weeks ago when we were down there. We stopped by the Hopyard home brew shop next to the Old Mill brew pub and it was out of business?

Anyway, we're looking forward to getting the home brewery back up and running.

Cheers!
Robert

The Hopyard shut down because the owner's wife/girlfriend had a kid. It's too bad too, he had a great setup and is very knowledgeable.
As I understand it he's still the brewer at the brew pub and id opening up a brewery with someone else in Columbia...Cotton Town is the name I believe.

There is a club (Palmetto State Brewers). They are active, even if their website doesn't look like it. They meet every second Monday at a restaurant called "Zorba's" on St. Andrews road.

You'll also find a homebrew shop out on St. Andrew's Rd. Betmar Liquid Hobby. I went there before Hopyard was open and am back giving them my business now that Hopyard is closed (nothing against the other shop--Hopyard was just a five minute drive vs a twenty).

Welcome to the area! Bet-mar is a solid shop. Disappointing to hear of the shop closing down in the old mill. Also there is the Keg Cowboy on main. I've never been but I looked on their website and they say they still have home brew supplies.

Keg Cowboy no longer has Homebrew supplies. At least as of last time I went in...which has been a while. Pretty sure they're just a bar now.

Welcome to the Midlands. Some good advice in here I'll expound on...

Hop Yard closed, but not necessarily because Matt had a kid, more so to pursue his own place, Cotton Town. He should be opening later this year. I was out at his hop farm for a gathering a few weeks back and man that guy knows his stuff and makes excellent beer. Matt is a tremendous resource and always willing to help other brewers out. The owner of Keg Cowboy was out at the hop farm as well, pretty sure they do not sell any homebrew stuff anymore.

BetMar on St. Andrews is almost your only option in the area. I get most of my grain from him, but still order my hops and yeast just because he usually doesn't have much variety when it comes to hops and yeast except the standards, e.g., US-05, Warrior, Mosaic, etc.

One more option (but in Cola, not Lex) is Bottles downtown near Garners Ferry and Rosewood intersection. It's a bottle shop (good selection) but they recently started carrying homebrew supplies. It's more equipment now, with some standard grains (no milling) and just started getting hops in, but no yeast.

As for beer and taprooms, check out Conquest and River Rat downtown near Williams-Brice (football stadium). IMO, Conquest makes better beer, but RR has a better atmosphere. RR is great to sit outside in the grass, they've got a nice deck, cornhole boards, all that jazz. Solid beer, just no wow factor. Conquest is in a warehouse and doesn't have much as far as ambiance goes, but the beer is good. They push the envelope a bit more than River Rat does.

Let me know if you ever want to get a beer or do some brewin!

Thanks for the welcome! We're still unpacking, but I did get into the garage a couple of nights ago and at least organize the brew stuff into it's own pile. I'd definitely be up for a beer at some point...

Found my flasks and stir plates, got the kegerator setup, fermentation fridge pulled out from under the boxes. Found my starsan and bpw, burner and grain mill. Opened up my mash tun and it didn't smell funky from it's 1.5 yr hiatus in storage.

I think I'll be gathering materials soon for my first beer in SC.

QUESTION: How's the water here? In St Louis it was great, I could use it straight from the tap without issues from cholormine/chlorophenols. Is it similar here in Lexington/Columbia?

Thanks for the welcome! We're still unpacking, but I did get into the garage a couple of nights ago and at least organize the brew stuff into it's own pile. I'd definitely be up for a beer at some point...

Found my flasks and stir plates, got the kegerator setup, fermentation fridge pulled out from under the boxes. Found my starsan and bpw, burner and grain mill. Opened up my mash tun and it didn't smell funky from it's 1.5 yr hiatus in storage.

I think I'll be gathering materials soon for my first beer in SC.

QUESTION: How's the water here? In St Louis it was great, I could use it straight from the tap without issues from cholormine/chlorophenols. Is it similar here in Lexington/Columbia?
Columbia water is pretty damn good (pretty sure this applies to Lexington as well since most/all come from the Lake Murray plant). I've used it straight from the tap on many beers with no problems. I only recently started dabbling in water adjustments. I'm attaching the latest water report I've got for Columbia. Point of note: the iron is wrong. You'll drop your jaw when you see it. But I'm pretty certain the iron is listed as ppb not ppm as it states on the sheet. Also of note, the horrendous flooding we had last October screwed up the water supply so this report may not be completely accurate. I'm in the process of getting an updated report from some colleagues at work (I work for the state health & enviro control agency) and will gladly share it when I get my hands on it. But for now, this is what I've got. Suffice to say, Cola water is pretty good for brewing. If it was good enough for my hydroponic garden, it's good enough for brewing, IMO. Cheers!

2016 Water Report.jpg

Hey guys I'm in the Columbia lexington area too. I've been trying to meet some other brewers. Apart from my buddy that got me started brewing and the guy at Betmar I've not really talked to any experienced brewers in person. I've got cayce water though it's terrible, I don't drink it without it being filtered so I don't brew with it

Hey guys I'm in the Columbia lexington area too. I've been trying to meet some other brewers. Apart from my buddy that got me started brewing and the guy at Betmar I've not really talked to any experienced brewers in person. I've got cayce water though it's terrible, I don't drink it without it being filtered so I don't brew with it
Highly recommend heading down to Conquest on Saturday Jan 28. It's their anniversary party and they release their big finisher stout. But the real fun is the bottle share. Starts bright and early around 8:30 or so. Usually some damn good beers there. I'll be there as well as a few other homebrewers. Come on down!

Well that does sound like fun and the wife is going out of town that week. I had a few brews planned for that weekend. I'm a bit of a hop head though so stouts don't really tickle my fancy. I'll drink them though

Well that does sound like fun and the wife is going out of town that week. I had a few brews planned for that weekend. I'm a bit of a hop head though so stouts don't really tickle my fancy. I'll drink them though
Fair enough. I go not so much to get the yearly finishers, but mainly the bottle share. It's a damn good share that usually has a good turn out. If you go, bring a few bucks. Last year they charged a fee to participate in the share for a charity. I'll be there with some homebrew and some bottles from the cellar.

Columbia water is pretty damn good (pretty sure this applies to Lexington as well since most/all come from the Lake Murray plant). I've used it straight from the tap on many beers with no problems. I only recently started dabbling in water adjustments. I'm attaching the latest water report I've got for Columbia. Point of note: the iron is wrong. You'll drop your jaw when you see it. But I'm pretty certain the iron is listed as ppb not ppm as it states on the sheet. Also of note, the horrendous flooding we had last October screwed up the water supply so this report may not be completely accurate. I'm in the process of getting an updated report from some colleagues at work (I work for the state health & enviro control agency) and will gladly share it when I get my hands on it. But for now, this is what I've got. Suffice to say, Cola water is pretty good for brewing. If it was good enough for my hydroponic garden, it's good enough for brewing, IMO. Cheers!

You...you, sir, are a champion. I'm in Lexington and get sourced from the West Columbia Lake Murray plant. They don't test for this stuff--I called and they kind of treated me like I was crazy (do more than we legally have to?).

I've been struggling for months to figure out where to get this info without coughing up money for a lab analysis. And I will now worry less about my mash pH. Many thanks.

You...you, sir, are a champion. I'm in Lexington and get sourced from the West Columbia Lake Murray plant. They don't test for this stuff--I called and they kind of treated me like I was crazy (do more than we legally have to?).

I've been struggling for months to figure out where to get this info without coughing up money for a lab analysis. And I will now worry less about my mash pH. Many thanks.
I'll do you one better...because I know those values are not current, especially after the flooding, etc. So I got a Ward report a few weeks back...

Ward Report Nov 2016.jpg

I'm just starting to learn about water chemistry. What do you suggest for testing ph? I'm looking into getting a tester to test my house water and also the ph of my mash

I'm just starting to learn about water chemistry. What do you suggest for testing ph? I'm looking into getting a tester to test my house water and also the ph of my mash
I use a Hanna digital pen. Just don't get the ph strips. They're crap. I'd just find ones with the best reviews within your price range. Mine wasn't expensive (i.e., less than 40 bucks) and I've had mine for years with no problems. Just get the calibration solutions so you can calibrate it.

So I was looking at some on amazon. I saw that some of them say they have a ATC and a working range of up to 122 degrees or something. Then I saw somewhere else ,maybe northern brewer, said that that is for the electronics part not the liquid you are testing. So basically as long as it has ATC it should be good right? I would like the Hanna like you have but idk if I want to spend 40$ on that right now. I have a 50$ lowes card but they don't carry that. Lol. I'm thinking about getting a cooler mash tun with it anyways I already have a stainless valve for it

Whales? Yeah man I did a starter for the beer with the blowoff then a one gallon zombie dust clone then used half the yeast from that for a one gallon cider then I did a session IPA Saturday evening and woke up Sunday and did a westvleteren 12 clone that didn't quite reach target gravity which I'm kind of glad now seeing it ferment. Oh then I dry hopped some apfelwein on the left with 2 oz simcoe

Oh ok. Well I made a 1 gallon clone of beer you can only buy in Indianapolis or something and a semi clone of one of the top 20 beers in the world that you can only buy in Belgium. Idk what Kbbs is though

Oh ok. Well I made a 1 gallon clone of beer you can only buy in Indianapolis or something and a semi clone of one of the top 20 beers in the world that you can only buy in Belgium. Idk what Kbbs is though
What's the semi clone you did?

KBBS = Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout (Toppling Goliath). It's a 100 on BA and averages just north of $1,000 a bottle on Beer Black Book (although I am NOT in favor of selling beer on the secondary market, but that's a rant for another day).

Haha yeah. I took the northern brewers westvleteren 12 clone and got the ingredients from betmar I also got that new mash tun on Saturday too because I had 18 lbs of grain and thought it would be good to have a 10 gallon tun. I think it leaks air out because the mash started at like 151 and ended at 147. I'll have to fix that so I didn't get the target gravity I'm thinking that's why I had a gravity of about 1.055 from the grains with 6.5 gallon in the boil. I then had 2 lbs dark candy sugar to add I figured it might raise it 20 points so I added about a lb of dme that I had and got an og of 1.077. I call it a semi clone because it didn't go like it should have lol

Back