Moving to all-grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
After two partial mashes, my brew buddy and I have decided to go all-grain. Actually, I have decided this and will be letting him know :D He's the handyman of the duo, so we'll probably go the DIY method of converting a cooler. Anybody have any tips? I've seen lots of tutorials but do not know which design would be optimal. As for batch size, I don't see us going bigger than 5 gallon batches, as we are doing full boils on the stove. Maybe if we got a turkey frier...

Any direction and help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Personally I would invest the time and effort into converting a 15.5 GAL keg into a mash tun. From my experience as soon as you do a few 5 gallon batches you get the itch to go bigger. Empty kegs are pretty easy to find on Craigslist.

Personally I would invest the time and effort into converting a 15.5 GAL keg into a mash tun. From my experience as soon as you do a few 5 gallon batches you get the itch to go bigger. Empty kegs are pretty easy to find on Craigslist.

Good to know! I may be moving from my cramped apartment soon, as I'm looking at a house tomorrow that I'm very interested in. As soon as I end up in a house, it's turkey fryer all the way and no more stove-top boils. Once that happens, I may start doing 10 gallon batches.

Would a 15.5 gallon keg/tun maintain temps well if I'm mashing for a 5 gallon batch? Just wondering about all the headspace.

Much easier to start with a cooler. The guy who advised you to use a keg does not live in an apartment. Brew now before you move!

I would start with the 10 gallon cooler. It will give you more than enough room for a 5 gallon batch and will be doable for 10 gallon batches when you move. You can convert a keg later if you feel the need to.

Latest posts

Back