Moving to all grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmelanco

Reaction score
I'm planning my first all grain and have read pleanty on how to do it. I have not however found an explanaiton of why mashing and sparging/partial sparging is actually required. What I mean is, why can't I just boil, hitting all my temperature stops, strain, chill and ferment? :mug:

Hate to pimp my all grain primer to a 1st time poster but it will answer all your questions. In short, you're talking about a no sparge and it leaves a lot of sugar behind.

Gottcha Berserker, I misstated my point a bit - why can't I heat my grains in the pot, hitting all my temperature stops (basically mashing), then remove them, sparge a little right to the pot then boil as normal?

Thanks Bobby M - I saw (and will read) the primer. So all I'm missing out on is a percentage of the sugars? In the short term I can deal with that, I'll make one or two one gallon batches from sparging the leftovers.

"sparge a little" is the problem. I get the feeling you're thinking of just holding a grain bag over the kettle and pouring a little water through. It won't get much of the sugar out.

This will give you the idea: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ but then that's only a partial mash where you need to add some extract at the end.

If you're going for 5 gallon all grain batches, you'll need a vessel to mash at least 10 pounds of grain with 3.5 gallons of water. You'll need to sparge with about 4 gallons of water to get a total preboil of 6.5 gallons which you'll boil down to 5.25 gallons.

Back