Moving To AG, Grain Bill Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StateRoad84

Reaction score
After 1 extract brew and 1 extract/specialty grain brew I'm making the move to AG. I'm making my first ingredient order for two batches. One grain bill includes 2 row malt, flaked corn, caramel malt 10L and carapils. My question has to do with mash and whether to mash the adjunct and specialty grains or to separate them from the bill and steep? Confused about this as I have seen recipes that have them mashed. Does it make a difference? My batches are 1.25 gallon so parts of my GB may only be 4 oz.:confused:

For AG you will mash all of the grain together, no need to separate the adjuncts. I would highly recommend you read How to Brew by John Palmer (available as a website online, or newer editions in printed form) and study the section on All Grain brewing.

For AG you will mash all of the grain together, no need to separate the adjuncts. I would highly recommend you read How to Brew by John Palmer (available as a website online, or newer editions in printed form) and study the section on All Grain brewing.

I read the online edition once through about 3 weeks ago. Great book! I'm gonna reread the All Grain section through again. I have seen some that mash the base malts and then steep the specialty grains in the wort, so I was a bit confused.

Back