Moving to 5gal + propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
I've done small batches on my stove forever, but I've moved and am going to do 5gal full volume BIAB outside using a propane burner. I have questions.

- Kettle Recommenations: 10 vs 15 gallon, bayou or concord or SS Brewtech/Anvil, how much do you like having a ball valve and thermometer (I've been using a siphon and thermapen)?

- Burner: I was probably going to buy a cheaper Bayou burner from Amazon

- Favorite brew bags?

- What size/style wort chiller for 5.5 gallons? I'll be using an immersion.

I say 15 gallon, i have a 10 and it is pretty full for some BIAB mashes and i still had some boilovers. As for brand i would say pick a price point and go with that.. you definitely get what you pay for... definitely a yes on the ball valve and up to you on the thermometer. You will still use the thermapen for exact temps, the kettle therm is to help tell when you are close.

I used the burner than came with my turkey fry pot for a while and it was good. Upgraded to the KAB4 and it was awesome but almost overkill for 5 gallon batches only.

Got mine from brewinabag.com and it is very nice. Used for about 20 batches so far and still going strong.

I have been using the silver serpant 50' stainless and it takes about 25min to chill a 5 gallon batch. Again there are more expensive options that work much better.

You sure you want to brew on propane and outside, instead of electric and inside?

Since I bought a 240V/3500W induction burner (Avantco IC3500, $190) I never looked back at propane. I may use propane maybe once every 2 years at an event such as Big Brew.

There are also some awesome all in one electric systems for both 120 and 240 hookups. Some of them come with all of the pieces you need. After 2 years of BIAB I am moving to the 65L brewzilla. Cant yet comment because my first brew day on the new system is this weekend.

I would go with a 15 gallon kettle. I have a 10 gal Megapot ( love it) but it is a little full when adding the grains.

Ball valve yes. Thermometer no. If you ever want to use a pump the ball valve port is a must. I always worry the thermo well will tear the bag.

Bag is from brew in a bag. Did not know about Wilser at the time or I might have bought that one.

I have an Edelmetal burner and I love it. Puts out a lot of btus. Quick to heat up.
I have a 25 foot copper IC. Works but want something more efficient.

I would recommend a 15 gal kettle, but you would be fine with a 10 gal. I use a 10 gal kettle and have had no issues to date. If you're doing high gravity, big grain bill, lower the strike water volume and add a dunk sparge. I also use a wilser brew bag. Bought it with a pulley and couldn't be happier. I also chill with a 25' copper immersion chiller and it does great with my 5 gal batches. The only issues chilling is when the ground water is too warm in the summer. For that, I bought a pump and recirculate ice water.

I switched to AG BIAB a few years ago, and I love it. I went with a 15 gallon kettle and a propane burner in case I wanted to do 10 gallon batches (which I have). But, in hindsight, I should have gone electric. If I could go back, I would, but I do love my setup. It's just more lugging stuff around. I'd prefer to set it and forget it...

Good stuff. Anyone wanna weigh in on buying a cheaper concord/Bayou vs a Brewtech/Anvil/Spike pot? Thicker steel, etched volume markings seem to be the biggest differences.

15gal BC kettle (upgraded with drain valve), Wilser bag, and BC KAB4 burner is what I use. I wouldn't change any of it.

15gal gives you enough space to do larger batches if you want, and basically removes the possibility of boil overs for 5 gal batches. You want a drain valve for sure. You can buy a kettle with one, or contact Bobby at brewhardware.com to get the parts for installing one. Don't get a built-in thermometer on the kettle for BIAB.

Wilser bags are great. His grand slam package is a steal for what you get. All of it is quality gear that will last for years.

The banjo style burners (like Bayou Classic KAB4), are MUCH better than the single jet style burners. The reduction in noise level alone justifies getting a banjo style burner. They're also much hotter, so your ramp times will be much shorter.

Regarding "brand name" kettles, just do what makes you happy. If it will make you happy to see a particular brand name on your kettle on brew day, then pay the extra dollars and get it. This is a hobby that should make you happy. What defines happiness is going to be different for every person. The beer? It doesn't notice what brand of kettle you use.

I have a ten gallon mega pot love it. But if I where to do it again I would have gotten a 20g where I could do double batches when I wanted. One brew day 2 full corneys would be amazing. I also am Brewing propane on my 10gal set up making 5 gal batches in my garage in the south. With the door open and the heat. Def looking into electric don’t know what route I’m going yet but piecing parts and ideas together. I use a home made 40ft ss emerssion chiller with another 40ft in a ice bath for a pre chiller. Temp drops to transfer in 15-20 min

I have used propane with a 10 gal pot for years for 5 gal, traditional mash batches, so can’t speak specifically to BIAB. Love the burner, over the partial boil on the stove. I enjoy brewing out side, year round. Be prepared for larger evaporation losses outdoors with a larger surface area pot. 55,000 BTU bayou burner has been good, but when I moved up to 10 gal batches, I wish I hade a bit more power. A wind screen around the burner and base of pot makes a big difference.

Man. CHoosing between a 10 and 15 gallon pot is hard. Everyone says 15 but also that they use a 10 and it's fine.

I have a 10G kettle (holds 10.25 to be exact). I recently moved over to BIAB and do full strike volume, no sparging, so it's pretty full. The last batch I did had a 14.25# grain bill. While it did in fact work fine, there was very little extra room during the mash. I mean like less than an inch remaining. Once the grain was removed, it was fine and I was not concerned with a boil over at that point. To me, that is just about the max grain bill I should go for, which could limit what I do. Point is, a 10G kettle is the bare minimum IMHO. Unless there is a significant price delta, I'd go with a 15G.

For those of you brewing indoors, how are you dealing with evaporation?
I brew in the kitchen on the countertop, with a box fan in the window above it.
If adequate ventilation is a problem, look at the Steam Slayer vapor condenser, or DIY one of those.

Man. CHoosing between a 10 and 15 gallon pot is hard. Everyone says 15 but also that they use a 10 and it's fine.
Clean up one boil over from a 10 gal pot and you'll wish you got a 15. As long it fits on your burner, stove, equipment, storage shelf, etc, the cost difference is pretty small. I'd size up to the 15 if you're on the fence.

I have a 20 gal pot , so brewing double batches for 5 yrs now . Never had a boil over . I use 3 bayou burners for strike water and boil. 10 gal igloo mash tun will hold 22 lbs of grain. Filling 2 corny kegs with each brew and just about the same clean up as a 5 gal brew.

Yea def not trying to choose between door a(10gal) or b(15gal) then hitting you with mysterious door number 3 (20 gal) but for biab if you may ever want to do a double batch if is worth the investment that is my biggest regret since pots. Good pots are a big investment that lmstay with you

I agree with others that I'd go electric if I had to do it all over again. I use Wilserbags and they are awesome.

For 10 or 15, I would agree 10 would be the minimum. I use an 8 gallon kettle and it works, but I have to be careful with boilovers and max out at about 1.055 OG. I have a 15.5 gallon keggle that's just too big to deal with for most stuff I brew, though I use it on occasion as a mash tun for big beers.

The answer depends on these 3 questions. Beer/batch size, efficiency (or amount of grain), and how much water do you use in a batch are the big factors.

Do you brew big beers or want to brew bigger batches? If so then 15.

Do you mill your own malt and can you boost efficiency? If so you can use a smaller pot since you use less grain.

Are you OK with a lower rolling boil or do you plan to have a lof of boiloff? If you like a stronger boil, use the larger kettle.

For the chiller, I use a 50ft coil copper immersion chiller, and it works great. I'm in Houston so we have warm water most of the year. I run about 10 gallons of tap water (and save for cleanup), then switch to a pump recirculating ice water in a cooler. I can get down to 60 degrees in about 15-20 minutes.

I like electric but if I couldn't get 240 wired to it I think I'd go nuts waiting. I'm all for RDWHAHB but I also have a kid and a life to take care of. Propane's crazy fast w/ the right burner. Your weather may be a factor as well - if you have tons of ncie days, it's OK to be in the garage. If it's crazy hot or cold often then yeah, electric gets more interesting. Even if it stays in the garage at least you don't' have to babysit it quite as much.

Pots - I have a 10, it's plenty. 7 was too little for sure. A little fermcap ensures no boilovers but I'm in the garage the whole time and can watch it right at first boil or when I add hops watching as well. Kettles make nice storage containers, a bigger one might be more able to handle all your crap and put a lid on it to keep things tidy and clean.

I have had a few burners, the cheap Bayou worked but was smoky, the DarkStar was much better, the Blichmann even better yet. Huge flame when wanted, efficient, you name it I love it. Seemed sturdier than the Anvil so I went w/ it. 4 legs > 3, less likely to tip. Unlikely for anything to tip but I like the safety margin.

Since you mentionned Bayou Classic, they have an 11 gallon kettle which is what I use. The extra gallon as compared to 10 seems to put it juts over the borderline edge. I do 5.5 into fermenter batches and it's always had 2-3 gallon of clear space above the mash.

5 gallon of a somewhat higher gravity beer can easily give you a mash volume of 9+ gallon. Not very comfortable in a 10 gallon pot. Assuming full volume mash of course.

if I had to chose between 10 and 15 however, I'd go with 15.

Back