moving from an Airlock to a Blow-Off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizavin

Reaction score
so, I have his ale that's about 36 - 37 hours in and it woke me up (small apartment. it's in a storage closet.) with some loud gurgles and fizzy sounds showing me that my bubbler was... full of foam, when I took a look at it.

so I quickly built a blow-off system of a tube, some plastic wrap for keeping things clean and a container to catch some foam, if it decides to crawl it's way up the tube and out of the carboy.

is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for by switching away from an airlock?

infection? funky smells? streaming, crazy bits of foam? signs of an impending explosion?

You did fine. RDWHAHB. With all that CO2 escaping it would be very hard to infect it. Just make sure the tube is not getting clogged and you will be alright.

With that much action going on in your fermentor there should have been a good CO2 buffer over the beer to keep the nasties out especially when you have foam pushing out. I had 3 blowouts on an airlock before I switched to a blowoff and had no problems.

Once the primary stage of fermentation is over you can switch back to the airlock no problem. My usual process is 1-3 days on the blowoff and then the remaining time in the primary with the airlock.

Hi, Revy Uses Sanitizer In The Blow Off Jar, Since I Read That, I Do To ,seems That It Keeps The Krausen In Check......cheers

Back