Moving from 1gal. (Brooklyn BrewShop) to larger batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JizzyJo

Reaction score
I've had a quick search, so apologies if it's out there already. I've been a lurker on these forums, helping me with my first two brews, so thanks already!

I'm very new to this whole brewing thing. Like, very new. But I'm enjoying it. Currently using those nifty little Brooklyn BrewShop kits, which are a great 1st step. However, they're pretty small, obviously, and I was thinking of "upgrading" to larger batches. Probably 3gal.

A few Q's and issues:

1) I have a small electric hob only, so I already find myself short of space and heating "power" when just doing 1gal batches. Is it pretty tough managing to do a 3gal batch indoors?

2) What sort of equipment is needed for a larger brew? Are there 3gal kits like the BBS kits? Any recommended kits?

3) I really like "hassle-free" routes. Don't hate me, but I'd probably be willing to take a hit on perfection in order to maximise convenience. So anything to help always good.

I'm thinking that actually, the easier solution is just to keep up with the 1gal brews but doing them more frequently due to issue 1 above. I dunno. Perhaps you lovely lot can convince me otherwise.

Thank in advance.

(I live in the UK if that has any bearing on things)

I can't say to your heating. My stove will do 3 gallons easily.

Do you have a homebrew shop near you? If so I am sure they will help you put together a kit for 3 gallons.

An internet search might lead you to a supplier that makes 3 gallon kits, a search here will give US stores.

Equipment needed. A pot big enough to boil 4 gallons + or so depending on whether your kits call for top up. And a fermenter large enough for the three gallons and headspace for the krausen.

I went this route, starting with a Brooklyn kit, then adding a second jug. Personally I just stock up on grains and hops in bulk, and then use whatever is on hand to put together recipes on brew day. Alternatively, if you are wedded to kits, you can buy 5 gallon kits and divide the ingredients into 2 or 3 portions, or buy double 1 gallon kits.

As long as your pot is big enough, all you really need is an extra jug/airlock. A paint strainer bag might be needed depending on the capacity your strainer/collander.

You can test out your stove (hob? not sure what that is) to see if it can boil 2+ gallons of water.

I also started out with 1 gallon brews, and got frustrated from doing all the work for 9 beers. So 3 gallon BIAB was the next step. Northern Brewer sells 3 gallon kits (BIAB). I did one of them and then moved to 5 gallon, makes things simpler as far as recipes, end up with more beer, and the work involved is the same. I obviously had to buy a bigger kettle, fermenters, a Wilserbrew bag, and made my wort chiller, but most of the other equipment transfers over. Already had an old turkey fryer burner that I use for now. I brew outdoors, but can only imagine larger batches indoors would be more challenging, you need a lot of heat to get large amounts of water boiling. Full volume mash, no sparge BIAB is about as hassle free all grain brewing that you can do.

Go 5 gallons. You need a bigger bucket or car boy. I use a 30L/8 gallon brewcraft bucket. It will give you plenty of head space to avoid blow offs. You can still do stove top brewing, just do partial boils with late extract additions. I did that for awhile. If you think you will stick it, get a turkey fryer set up. I got mine at Home Depot for around $100 buckets. It came with a burner and a 7 gallon pot. Doing full boils is a lot nicer IMHO. :tank:

Thanks so much for the replies. Really is appreciated.

I have a second additional question or thought...

Q: Are there other companies like BBS that do interesting and quirky beer kits in 1gal sizes? Don't need all the equipment, just the hops and malt etc. I guess this comes back to going to a brew shop and getting them to make something up.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the replies. Really is appreciated.

I have a second additional question or thought...

Q: Are there other companies like BBS that do interesting and quirky beer kits in 1gal sizes? Don't need all the equipment, just the hops and malt etc. I guess this comes back to going to a brew shop and getting them to make something up.

Thanks again!

I can't say to your side of the pond but there are quite a few options here. Northern Brewer is one that has one gallon kits. They also put the recipes online, you can look at them and buy the ingredients on your own.

Back