Moving across country...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all...thought I would ask if anyone has moved across the country before? Myself and my wife will be doing so at the end of the month. We are moving to San Diego CA from Boston MA.

Wondering if anyone has any tips for us? We will be driving out one car with our dog. I believe it will take close to 6 days. We are shipping our other car and everything else we own in our townhouse.

I am going to AAA later today when they open to get info on the best way to drive. I believe south to Atlanta then into Texas, into Arizona then to Cali.

I just put the new snow tires on, got a oil change and I am going in to a guy I trust to get the rest of the car checked out before we go just incase.

Any help, info, tips would be great.

Thanks

Brian :mug:

Subscribed.

I am moving from Washington to Texas this summer. It will be my wife, my three dogs, and I in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We will be shipping all of our stuff via freight, so it will be just us and what we need for the trip.

I wanted my wife to be happy, so I got her a Sony Reader for Christmas. It holds a ton of books and is allowing us to sell our library (for the most part.) It also is clearing up a lot of space in the car for the trip. What kind of vehicle do you have? What kind of dog?

Subscribed.

I am moving from Washington to Texas this summer. It will be my wife, my three dogs, and I in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We will be shipping all of our stuff via freight, so it will be just us and what we need for the trip.

I wanted my wife to be happy, so I got her a Sony Reader for Christmas. It holds a ton of books and is allowing us to sell our library (for the most part.) It also is clearing up a lot of space in the car for the trip. What kind of vehicle do you have? What kind of dog?

Where in Texas are you moving to?

I hope those new snow tires aren't studded, because they are illegal in many states. When I moved from NY to AZ, I spent four hours pulling the studs from my brand new snow tires.

I've moved cross country 4 times and 6 days sounds about right. You'll be in Texas 3-4 weeks (at least that's how it feels). You're biggest problem will be finding hotels that allow pets. AAA can probably help there.

Every two hours: Stop, walk the dog, trade off driving. Everybody will be happier for the break.

Take your houseplants with you. They will probably die if you leave them with the shippers. I hauled a trailer from WI to MI overnight and the few plants I had just about ate it from the cold.

I would highly recommend making a route that utilizes I-81 from the northeast heading south. I-95 sucks and will cost you about $20 in tolls. When we drive down from that area we use 90 to 84 to 81 to 77 to 85. Once you are in Atlanta, take 20 to the end and it is I-10 the rest of the way. I-10 through west Texas really sucks....really terrible.

I could do it in 48 hours if I wanted to but I will be with my wife and dog and I am not going to make them have an awful ride. I want to see a few places on the way as well.

I'm with you. Blasting across the country was fine in college, but it's better to slow down and enjoy it. We did Michigan to Colorado a LONG time ago, without kids but we did keep our cat in the UHaul with us. I don't think she crapped the entire time.

YA, stay south for as long as you can. Two years ago I moved from Los Angeles, CA to Cleveland, Ohio. It took me 6 days. Don't rush things, enjoy the trip, map out the breweries along the way. Make detours, DON'T RUSH THINGS!

Ugh, good luck man.

I've gone from central IL to Tucson AZ (24 straight hours) and have found thats about my max. Of course it was a straight through drive.

I couldnt imagine Boton to San Diego. I dont blame ya for taking your time.

Good luck with the move! We moved from Florida to DC in the summer of 08 for my new job, and I just found out today that my company has an opening in Florida that I can take if I want it, we have to decide by Friday... So SWMBO and I probably won't be getting much sleep until we make a decision. I'm not looking forward to a possible 1000 mile move, I can't image the move you're making!

Ya its only 3,000 miles from Boston to SD.

Should not be that bad, going to go far south then head across to Texas then over to Arizona then into Cali.

I-10 through west Texas really sucks....really terrible.

Whooooo!!!! I agree. Absolutely nothing to look at; but if I remember correctly I-10 is the fastest interstate in the country so that should help. If you do come through I-10 and you are hungry, and you like steaks, check out Cattlemans in Fabens, TX. I live in El Paso (last city in western TX) and there isn't much variety to choose from, unless you like Mexican food (and who doesn't?). When you come through my town just remember to stay on I-10 and DON'T JUMP THE BORDER TO JUAREZ, MX....lots of violence over there.

Back