moving a full carboy "safely" !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
A full carboy must weigh in around 35 lbs. It's not an easy task to lift one and move it safely. Does anyone have experience with the carboy black canvas bags I see online? Other simple suggested appreciated. Thanks.

A lot of people use a plastic milk crate and/or a carboy handle.

I used to worry about that when I used glass carboys. I switched over the better bottles and now I just pick them up when I have to move them. At least if I were to drop one it wouldn't break on me now, might just smash a toe or two!

Plastic Milk Crates - heavy duty - available from the Container Store online. Do a coupon search (retail-me-not) for Container Store to get a discount or free shipping.

A full carboy must weigh in around 35 lbs. It's not an easy task to lift one and move it safely. Does anyone have experience with the carboy black canvas bags I see online? Other simple suggested appreciated. Thanks.

It's actually a lot more than 35 lbs. Water weighs 8.35 lbs per gallon and wort is significantly denser, I usually have 6 gallons plus the weight of my 7 gallon carboy is over 10 lbs I think, so it is over 60 lbs when full. Still not a lot of weight but awkward to heft around. I use a carboy handle but worry I'm going to crack the neck of the carboy when lifting it up. I should probably get one of those carboy haulers.

Carboy handles are not reccommended to moving full carboys. Think of all the weight on that little-bitty neck.

SNAP!!

I'm not saying I haven't done it, but I was sweating bullets.

+1
do NOT use those carboy handles to move full bottles - unless your insurance is paid up and you like stitches....

please think safety.

+1
do NOT use those carboy handles to move full bottles - unless your insurance is paid up and you like stitches....

please think safety.

I know right, it really makes me nervous and I try to get a hand under the bottom as soon as possible. Okay, carboy hauler definitely on my to buy list.

I use the plastic Better Bottles, and have had no problems using the handles. But I can see what people are talking about using the glass carboys.

Back