Moving 1,700+ Miles with Beer. Need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be moving from Seattle to Nebraska (of all places) here in the next couple of weeks and I have 10 gallons of beer that is currently sitting in carboys that needs to come with me. I keg and its ready to be transferred so no worries there but I've got a few questions:

1) Should carb my beer before I move or just purge the kegs with CO2, fill em up with beer and call it good?

2) Being as its January, I'm assuming my **** is gonna freeze along the way... I haven't tried to drink a beer that I accidentally froze since I was about 21 and if memory serves it was probably a Miller High Life and the thawed version was less palatable than a normal High Life. Anyone have any experience with drinking homebrew that has gone through a freeze/thaw cycle?

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers!

I'd think that with an alcohol content AND pressure on the kegs, the freezing point would be well below 32degF.

How low . . . . . we'll need a scientist to step up and calculate that. ;)

'da Kid

Keg now. Im in the area, Ill help you finish it so you dont have the burden of taking it that far :)

ive read a few places that beer can freeze in the keg at 28 degrees. your beer may or may not freeze, depending on exposure time. I'd guess that carbing before or after the move won't make much difference in the long run.

why not just throw yourself a going away party? you can knock out 10 gallons of beer in no time with a dozen or so friends, and anyone that's got 10 gallons of beer has, or can make, 12 friends.

I've seriously considered throwing a party to kill the beer but we're moving quick and I don't have time to carb, party, clean up, and pack! We've gotta be on the road on the 8th. This move was slightly unexpected and happened rapidly (wife got a job offer in Nebraska).

That said, once I transfer my beer I'm gonna have 2 glass carboys that I need to get rid of before I leave. Any of you Seatleite HBT'rs want first dibs before they hit craigslist? PM me and make me an offer!

Latest posts

Back