Movin' on up! (Kegging and Filtering)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
Hello my fellow brewers!

I am tired of bottling beer and having to struggle with sediment. With that being said, I am looking for small scale (under $500 if possible) equipment to filter the junk out and keg.

Does anyone have any suggestions or preferred products they can enlighten a member of the brotherhood with?

Much appreciated, and drink on!

-J

I don't filter, but you can buy a three keg setup from kegconnection for around $250 or so, I believe. Here's the one I have: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324 Add another keg for a three keg set up, and an extra $10 for a 10# upgrade on the co2 tank. You will need longer lines than 5' feet, though- so call them to make them 8'.

A filtering setup isn't terribly expensive, but I don't filter so I have no info on that.

I don't filter, but you can buy a three keg setup from kegconnection for around $250 or so, I believe. Here's the one I have: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324 Add another keg for a three keg set up, and an extra $10 for a 10# upgrade on the co2 tank. You will need longer lines than 5' feet, though- so call them to make them 8'.

A filtering setup isn't terribly expensive, but I don't filter so I have no info on that.

So do you keg unfiltered beer? How does that work when you pour from the tap? Is it "sediment-free"?

So do you keg unfiltered beer? How does that work when you pour from the tap? Is it "sediment-free"?

Sure it is. But the key is to either a) don't move the keg because you'll resuspend any sediment that fell out or b) if you must move the keg for a party, "jump" it to a new keg, leaving the sediment behind.

Here's a picture of an IPA. You tell me if it's good enough!

Sure it is. But the key is to either a) don't move the keg because you'll resuspend any sediment that fell out or b) if you must move the keg for a party, "jump" it to a new keg, leaving the sediment behind.

Here's a picture of an IPA. You tell me if it's good enough!

I love everything about that picture <3

So would you say that a filtration system is basically unnecessary?

If you can cold crash your beer before kegging it, you can leave most of the sediment behind in the fermenter. Everytime I remember to cold-crash my beer, it comes out very clear. I also use irish moss in my brew for clarity. Some people will use other things such as gelatin.

But that's about clarity. I think that you'll always get a little sediment in the keg without filtering. However, with what Yooper said and cold crashing, you'll minimize the sediment and not need a filtering system.

I love everything about that picture <3

So would you say that a filtration system is basically unnecessary?

Can you tell us a bit more about your process as a lot of people bottle and don't have to fight the sediment, it's more a respect for the sediment. Give your beer time to clear in the primary, secondary if you want to, andonce bottled and ready to drink put the in the fridge for at least few days to get the sediment nice and compact.

Yeah it get's compacted but I want to be able to drink from the bottle sometimes without pouring in a glass, or if I transport it, don't want to worry about it kicking up. That's my basic gripe with it.

Yeah it get's compacted but I want to be able to drink from the bottle sometimes without pouring in a glass, or if I transport it, don't want to worry about it kicking up. That's my basic gripe with it.

Sweet as, just making sure this wasn't being thought of as a magic bullet for other issues ;)
Best thing about kegging (well one of the best things) is bottling from the keg (search for BMBF). Bottled a dozen beers to take away to share with my brother's mates at his stag weekend and didn't need to worry about telling them to pour into a glass, slowly, and leave the last little bit, they could just :tank:

if you keg, you let it sit for a week or 2 in the keg. it charges, and clears up as long as you don't move it. i know a couple hundred brewers, and 1 who filters. we all get clear beer; it's just a matter of waiting 1 week or 1 day

to echo most of what other people say, time is your friend. Most of my kegs get several weeks to settle. The first half pint might have some sediment, then it is pretty clear. (although I did use a low flocculating yeast once that was a pain the entire keg.) When I am taking some to a party I usually fill a growler or two from the tap.

Back