Movie quote game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, where's the war movie quote?

Be forewarned, I was allowed to stay up all night (on the weekends) when I was 8 years old. I'm nearing my mid-60s now and still do all-nighters a couple times a year.
Well we made it over 1000 posts so that’s good. Where did @Boomer go? Maybe he will come back if I call him out.

I'm gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don't smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go f**k yourself.

Lol...you guys throw out some quotes that are beyond my memory bank! I guess Apollo is up?

"What are you staring at, f**ker? You wanna start me up? Just open the choke and pull the cord, pal. I'm due for a seismic event and you're dancing on the fault line."

"What are you staring at, f**ker? You wanna start me up? Just open the choke and pull the cord, pal. I'm due for a seismic event and you're dancing on the fault line."

LOL! I'm not a real fan of "The Painter". I never thought he was funny...now he's just annoying, like an itchy crotch.

I know the answer, but I'll let someone else get it.

I'm not really complaining, rather just stating the obvious; but alerts seem semi-random on hbt. I just checked the thread and theres been 20+ posts since I was last here and no alerts.

I agree. It seems like I only get an email/notification after I've already visited a thread...

I'll jump in...

"Oh by the way. The doctor is going to take credit for your ideas.

I don't understand.

It's all part of the doctors ways and means of not cluttering the fuhrer's mind with new names and faces to remember.

Mine?

Now you understand. I can see by your eyes that you understand."

I'll jump in...

"Oh by the way. The doctor is going to take credit for your ideas.

I don't understand.

It's all part of the doctors ways and means of not cluttering the fuhrer's mind with new names and faces to remember.

Mine?

Now you understand. I can see by your eyes that you understand."
Everyone feel free if you know.... I'm trying to stump honebrewer_99

There are probably a million and 1 WWII movies...I can guarantee I have NOT seen them all.

Assumptions:

Historical...not biographical or a documentary?
American production/American stars...not German, Russian, Polish, Italian, etc.?
German front, not Asian?
Emphasis on German side of story not Allied forces?
Possibly in a Concentration Camp setting?
Not a comedy...or is it? Hmmm?
Black & White or color?
Pre- or post-1965?

Last edited:
American production. Mostly American starts.
Takes place entirely in Germany if I'm not mistaken.
All German story.
Barely any concentration camp activity.
Not a comedy.
Color.
Post 65.

I would call it a fairly large star studded cast?

American production. Mostly American starts.
Takes place entirely in Germany if I'm not mistaken.
All German story.
Barely any concentration camp activity.
Not a comedy.
Color.
Post 65.

I would call it a fairly large star studded cast?

Thanks for narrowing it down a bit...it's the doctor reference (when YOU KNOW Dr. Mengele is the first one to pop into your brain...i.e., joint occupancy cranial-rectum cavity, that's got me hung up so far.

It's sad when your memory bank is overdrawn or when it turns into a memory blank.

OK, I guess NAZI LOVE CAMP 7 is out of the running...:rolleyes:

Schlachthof Funf...Slaughterhouse #5? At one place I worked, Kurt Vonnegut's grandson worked down the hall from me. He was a Capt in the Army at the time.

My biggest hurdle is weeding out all the films outside of Germany and that are historical.

There have been a bunch of great WWII movies, but they happened outside of Germany...The Longest Day, Unbreakable, Winds of War, The Big Red One, The Devil's Brigade, Catch 22, etc., but I think in trying to stump me (which you might) you'd be looking at something more obscure like 36 Hours...but that's not in the historical category.

When you say "historical" I think actual events not stories about what may have happened.

Sadly, a 2 hour movie "based on a true story" may only have 2 minutes of fact in them.

Last edited:
OK, "Saving Private Ryan" had actual events that happened Normandy. Is that the type of "historical" you mean? Or would "historical" include something like filmed on location?

There was a group of soldiers that The Dirty Dozen was based on, but they were not called The Dirty Dozen.

I'm also trying to weed out all movies based on a book...adventure/drama (Von Ryan's Express, etc.) that didn't actually happen.

My "problem" (defining "history") comes from being a History major at college.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long wait... Work got busy.

The film is based on an "autobiography" from a person who was a German, in Germany during the War.
I have "autobiography" in quotes because I have a distrust for autobiographical works in general as they always paint the author in a good light.

I will say that the fuhrer is not only mentioned (being a wwii film taking place in Germany and all) but is a character that has a generous amount of screen time.

Sorry for the long wait... Work got busy.

The film is based on an "autobiography" from a person who was a German, in Germany during the War.
I have "autobiography" in quotes because I have a distrust for autobiographical works in general as they always paint the author in a good light.

I will say that the fuhrer is not only mentioned (being a wwii film taking place in Germany and all) but is a character that has a generous amount of screen time.

You already said no to Hart's War (FWIW, the author is German).

Eisenhower is a German name, so Ike: Countdown To D-Day, may be in that list.

Then there's:

Triumph of the Spirit is "biographical"...but...
Schindler's List happened in Poland

That leaves me with: Valkyrie. The "doctor" being Goebbels.

My Final Answer.

Last edited:
Incorrect.

The doctor was indeed Goebbels.

The answer was

Inside the Third Reich starring Rutger Hauer as Albert Speer and Derek Jacobi as Hitler.

It is definitely one of my favorites. Clocking in at 4 hours it's a project to watch but worth it if you can find it (currently on YouTube for free (it was never officially released on dvd so its near impossible to get)).

I have to say that in my opinion, the portrayal of Hitler by Jacobi is one of the finest I've ever seen..

And now for something completely different.....

"Maybe I'm not such a high-class piece of property right now. And a 25% slice of something big is better than a 100% slice of nothing."

Back