Moved fermenter prior to kegging re-settling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutsbrew

Reaction score
(I searched here for awhile, did not find a similar question)

I lifted the fermenter (30L Speidel) out of the chest freezer (at 38 F.) after a bit of a cold crash and set it on a table in prep for kegging. I realized I failed to think this methodology through as I noticed the moving liquid likely roused up some sediment and possibly brought kreisen (spelling count?) into suspension from the sides of the fermenter. Granted, I was fairly steady when moving it up and over to a table right next to the freezer, and there may have been only about a half inch of beer travel (no real splashing at all, just 'waves' caused by movement) up sides of fermenter from its level point.

I put some frozen water jugs around it and wrapped it in a blanket to let sit for awhile to settle, in the 65 F and dark basement.

And so the question(s): How long would some of you let it sit as such before kegging? Would we be talking hours or (parish the thought) days? What say you?

-bump-

I dunno, maybe I'll rack it to the keg now, it's been a couple of hours... If any trub or (extra) yeast comes with it, well, it might just be the flavor I've been looking for!

I would say its personal preference. I move my carboy to a higher counter so that it'll gravity flow to my keg. It usually stirs up trub and even dry hops, but I keg right away. I just pull off a pint the next day and most of the trub will come out. The trub that doesn't, won't come out until you move the keg. So if you don't move that keg you'll have nothing to worry about. If you do move it, repeat the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How long was a 'bit of a cold crash" at 38*F? From what you described, it may be that you didn't cold crash long enough to firm up the yeast cake and keep it from getting stirred up by the movement. I do mine 5-7 days at 35*F.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it will settle in the keg, then pitch first pint.

Thanx guys. I'll pitch the 1st pint for sure. Sounds like once again this noob needs to repeat the ol' mantra: RDWHAHB!

BTW, the beer was still at 41 F. so I put it on 20# CO2 and rolled it for a few minutes, will keep at 20# till nighty-night later then drop to 10# overnight. Tomorrow night, will drop it to 5# serving and serve myself!

Oh, BigFloyd, I did not notice any actual disturbance of the yeast cake, but I did not want to presume there was none at the time of the OP. thanx.

Cheers!

Back