Mounting control panel in ceiling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I've been looking for a spot in my somewhat cramped indoor brew space to mount my new stainless control panel. I've had a lot of ideas, but none that have lasted very long.

A friend (more clever than I) suggested mounting it on a hinge on the ceiling and lowering it for brewing, then putting it up again when not brewing.

I like it. Anyone have an idea where I might find a hinge that could handle this? I was thinking maybe one of those gate hinges, but I'm not sure where to look. A mechanism that could lock it when it was lowered would also be a plus.

Any ideas or websites to browse would be appreciated.:mug:

I used black iron pipe as my control panel support and pivot. See this thread for photos of my laundry room electric brewery.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/my-built-electric-brewery-post-1-a-270722/

The control panel/box can be pivoted up to the ceiling and latched there to get to out of the way. I generally leave it deployed since it doesn't take up needed space, but I have the potential to move it out of the way if I want.

So are you able to pivot it to the ceiling just because it is loosely screwed in?

How is the iron pipe attached to panel itself?

Thanks for the ideas. Very cool build.

I use one of the TV mounts that I picked up pretty cheaply from Amazon. Although mine isn't mounted in the ceiling it would work very well in that situation. I had to replace the bolts that tighten the arms to get a better grip, but now it is a great mounting device for $20.

41xR1JH8llL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dgonza,

I just took some pictures of the mounts, but the camera battery died; it's recharging so I can download and post them. Argh.

Anyway, my ceiling is unfinished, so I cut and threaded a couple pieces of pipe to fit between two ceiling joists. The pipes are mounted to the joists with flanges that are screwed to the joists, and that the pipe screws into. The pipes are joined by a Tee fitting, and another piece of pipe extends to the control panel, where it too is flange mounted on the box.

The pivoting action is acomplished by carefully (and tediously) cutting and threading the pipes and flanges so that there is just enough play in them to pivot 90 degrees back and forth between the wall and the ceiling.

The power wires run inside the pipes from the subpanel to the control panel.

I'll post the pics tomorrow when the battery is back to life. Hopes this helps and isn't too confusing...

A hinge from an old door would be strong enough and cheap but I really like AiredAle's setup.

Here are some pictures of my control panel and the mounting hardware. I can't show it in the stored position, since I drilled the hole in the back for the latch pin in the wrong place, duh.

P2080415.jpg

P2080416.jpg

P2080417.jpg

P2080420.jpg

P2080419.jpg

That's cool. I like the detail of all the wire in the pipe and that it swings out of the way. Great look, great solution.

Just an update. I wound up moving out part of a cabinet and then mounting on the wall. Although the ceiling mounted panel is pretty darn cool, now that I have mine I don't think I would've liked ceiling mounted. You are probably better off finding a location on a wall.

Just my 2 cents.

d12f2aaf.jpg

Back