Motorized mill motor sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
I have a mm2-2.0. What size motor would I need? I am planning on gearing it to a final speed of 200 rpm and will have grain bills upwards of 50-60#.

There is a frame 56 1/4hp motor on cl locally. Would that be big enough?

1/4 hp will be plenty big enough. That motor typically turns 1750 rpm so you'll need to gear it down 8:1.

Do you have a gear reduction? Pulleys are normally used because they're simple and cheap. Gear reductions are expensive in comparison.

A gear box will require that the motor have the appropriate mating surface, which that motor appears to not have.

I still have this motor/gearbox for sale: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/motor-reducer-assembly-grain-mill-446662/

Not necessarily. There are gear drives that mount independently and use a coupler to attach the shafts.

For the price you're asking I can see why you still have your motor. Not that it's not worth the money, but how could anyone justify that for a home brew mill.

Not necessarily. There are gear drives that mount independently and use a coupler to attach the shafts.

For the price you're asking I can see why you still have your motor. Not that it's not worth the money, but how could anyone justify that for a home brew mill.
I hadn't considered a coupled motor / gearbox option. I stand corrected.

I agree. The motor/gearbox assembly I have for sale is commercial/industrial. Highest quality and virtually indestructible. I actually got good ebay deals on those items.

You might not be able to justify that setup for home brewing but I certainly have no problem with it. I suspect I'm not alone. But, to each his own. Many home brewers gradually move to bigger and bigger operations. This kind of mill equipment will certainly follow those operational expansions.

I'm of the position that I buy once and expect it to last a lifetime, or even two. In my younger days, on occasion, I bought cheap and found that in the long run, I would almost always be buying a second time. As a rule, I just don't buy low quality/cheap tools or equipment. It's not worth the cost and trouble to replace.

I hadn't considered a coupled motor / gearbox option. I stand corrected.

I agree. The motor/gearbox assembly I have for sale is commercial/industrial. Highest quality and virtually indestructible. I actually got good ebay deals on those items.

You might not be able to justify that setup for home brewing but I certainly have no problem with it. I suspect I'm not alone. But, to each his own. Many home brewers gradually move to bigger and bigger operations. This kind of mill equipment will certainly follow those operational expansions.

I'm of the position that I buy once and expect it to last a lifetime, or even two. In my younger days, on occasion, I bought cheap and found that in the long run, I would almost always be buying a second time. As a rule, I just don't buy low quality/cheap tools or equipment. It's not worth the cost and trouble to replace.

I feel the same way you do, but I don't let myself go to extremes.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer for a major defense contractor. We design and build products for the military and aerospace sector. We only use the highest quality components and materials, so I'm very familiar with the term "overkill".

I feel the same way you do, but I don't let myself go to extremes.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer for a major defense contractor. We design and build products for the military and aerospace sector. We only use the highest quality components and materials, so I'm very familiar with the term "overkill".
Cool. An additional factor that drove my setup was a desire to limit the physical size of the motor. This resulted in the use of the 42CZ frame size, which has few options in single phase, 120vac.

Overkill? I'll have to disagree there, unless you're referring only to the quality, and therefore the cost, of the components.

I would not consider 104 in-lbs of torque to be overkill on a grain mill. More than absolute minimum? Sure. 1/3hp overkill? No, not really.

Cool. An additional factor that drove my setup was a desire to limit the physical size of the motor. This resulted in the use of the 42CZ frame size, which has few options in single phase, 120vac.

Overkill? I'll have to disagree there, unless you're referring only to the quality, and therefore the cost, of the components.

I would not consider 104 in-lbs of torque to be overkill on a grain mill. More than absolute minimum? Sure. 1/3hp overkill? No, not really.

Sorry, I was referring to the quality of the components. What you have would be great for a commercial application. I just think that there are more affordable options available which will serve the average home brewer quite well.

After looking at all the options & costs associated w/ acquiring all the components I opted for a Power Grinder. It comes w/ the gear reduction built in and grinds at 180 RPM.
All I needed to add were the Lovejoy couplers for the motor & my MM 3 roller mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I was going through my tools today and found and old Milwaulkee right angle, high-torque, low-speed drill. It is nice and low profile and spins at 300 rpm. It is a little fast, but it will work and the price is right. Maybe down the road I'll go with an official motor and gearbox, but this will get the job done.

Back