Motorized Malt Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
Ok So I am starting a project on a Motorized Malt Mill and I have a 1/12 HP Simer Pump Motor that I want to use. Simer tells me that the motor runs at 5000 RPMs. I find it hard to believe but that is what they tell me. In order for me to get the RPMs down to a reasonable rate I will have to use a 20" plus sheave. I do not want to go that route as the sheave is way too large. What can I do with a 1.5" and 6" sheave to gear down the RPMs. With these two sheaves I can get the RPMs down to 1250 which is near what my drill does now. Will that hurt the mill if I keep it at this speed? What else can I do to use everything I have?

WW

For Some reason the motor does not come with the information I requested so I called their Customer Service and was told that they did not have it either that they would have to get with a tech and get back to me. They called me back and told me 5000 RPMs. I am doubtful on that information too. If we are talking normally 1750 (which I think it is, there is no way its faster than my drill head) then I am in the ball park of where I want to be.

Just worried that I may be way off base.

Yeah possibly double pulley system or a huge pulley on the mill. I'm running just under a 14 inch pulley on my mill and a 1-3/4 on the motor which gets me right around 218 rpms. My motor puts out 1750 and is a 1/4 hp. Too fast I hear has negative results and can break parts of the mill.

I also have another issue. The Sheaves have a larger diamerter bored hole for attaching than my drive shaft and driver shaft. How do you make these fit without the wobble?

I used a shaft collar on my mill which was 3/8. So the shaft collar I bought was 3/8 ID and 3/4 OD to fit in the sheave. After tightening it down and using loctite I haven't had an issue.

Yeah there were no specs re rpms so.I called. They didn't know either so I had to wait.for.a.tech to get back to me. Ten minutes later I received a call and they told me 5k rpms.

Bumping Thread for NEW ISSUE...

The Mill is all set and ready to go... I had a pound of grains put them in the mill and to my shagrin the grains were "popping" out the top like popcorn. I lowered the speed and still nothing. Looking inside I noticed that the stationary roller was not rolling. I sped the motor up as fast as it could go and grains everywhere. I was so disgusted. Then I realized the damn motor spins the wrong way... WTF!!! Can anything be easy?!!!

So now I am looking into reversing the spin on this motor. The manufacturer will not give me any advice as they dont want to have any liability. I noticed that I can take the housing off the motor and get to the wires but if I switch them around will I get reverse rotation? The motor spins clockwise and I need it to spin counter clockwise. Is this common with motors or do I have a backwards Mill?

WW

I was looking into getting another motor but I do not want to run into the same issue. I have the mill set as a direct drive with a Lovejoy coupling the mill to the motor. I want to keep it this way too if possible.

WW

I don't see where you say what type of mill but you should be able to switch the mill fairly easily.

How are you lowering the speed with a direct drive?

Sorry been working on a brewstand as of late as the malt mill went on hold. Anyway I have a speed controller that the motor plugs into to slow the speed. The Mill is a BarleyCrusher. I will look into switching the rollers (duh:drunk:) didn't even think of that.

I will let yall know if it worked.

Thanks for the advice as usual.

Back