Motorized Grain Mills: Time to show them off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^looks great! nice and clean.

can you take a pic of how you matched the gear reducer shaft up with the input on the mill?

I have a very similar setup and am looking to rebuild the stand again.

The way mine was setup I actually had to shim the mill up about a half inch. If you look in the pic under the mill you can see a piece of plywood that's cut to the same size as the base of the mill.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406253361.130445.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406253379.532089.jpgheres mine!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm running a 1/3hp..... 12"/1.5" pulleys and wouldn't go lighter than that. But it's a blower motor with little tork.

View attachment 170649

I used a garage pushcart from HF, a Champion juice motor from flea mrkt for $7, a 12" pulley from grainger, etc but works great. Sorry for the quality, just used pic from phone. I don't have reverse but used a board with door hinges to mount the motor - the weight allowed for rocks that go thru. Mounted the motor w/ bolts & wing nuts to adjust tension as needed.

Cheers,
KY Dan
LAGERS/FOSSILS

I just had somebody give me one of those motors! I have a 12" and a 1.5" pulley, bearing sleeve and belt coming in the mail now. Can you describe how you mounted the motor a little more detailed? I was figuring for a horizontal setup with lines cut for adjusting tension via bolts but that's a clever setup.

As I return to brewing after an extended absence, I decided to investigate mill stations and, with much thanks to this forum, settled on a Monster Mill MM2-Pro with the stainless rollers. Coupled to the mill via Lovejoy couplings is an American Ale Works Power Grinder. The stand is made from ash lumber salvaged from the emerald ash borer infestation in our area. The majority of the joinery in the stand is done with pocket screws. The difficulty with this build was ensuring the shaft of the motor aligned, center-to-center, with the shaft of the mill. The offset worked out to 2 7/16” the shaft of the mill had to rise. As you may see in the photo, there is a piece of 7/16” plywood sandwiched between two pieces of one-inch ash. I made the stand longer to accommodate my grain scale and to perhaps hold another bucket or two underneath on the shelf. Added locking casters so I roll it to where I need it and then store it. It wasn’t cheap but I think I now have my ultimate mill station. I’m very pleased with the mill/motor combination. Time will test its durability and consistency of crush.

I also went with the Monster 2.0 Pro, I just couldn't justify spending another $300 on the Power Grinder (at least not yet). I blew $11 on the cabinet from the local Hospice thrift store, $50 on a HF drill, $15 or so on the duct pieces, and a few electrical parts I had laying around. Came out pretty good I think, and a quick pound or two through it seemed to go perfectly. Maybe some day I'll give it a coat of paint.

GrainMill.jpg

MillParts.jpg

RocketBrewer,

Really like your set-up; especially the duct work which solves something I was considering. I was concerned about dust and "grain splatter". This looks like a nice solution. Thanks for posting.

I also went with the Monster 2.0 Pro, I just couldn't justify spending another $300 on the Power Grinder (at least not yet). I blew $11 on the cabinet from the local Hospice thrift store, $50 on a HF drill, $15 or so on the duct pieces, and a few electrical parts I had laying around. Came out pretty good I think, and a quick pound or two through it seemed to go perfectly. Maybe some day I'll give it a coat of paint.

Looks awesome! What kind of hardware specifically are you using to secure the drill? I've just been holding mine by hand and it's hell on the wrists trying to fire it up when the hopper's full!

Looks awesome! What kind of hardware specifically are you using to secure the drill? I've just been holding mine by hand and it's hell on the wrists trying to fire it up when the hopper's full!

I used this drill from harbor freight. It has threaded holes on top and both sides for the extra handle. I just cut and drilled some angle iron to hold it in place. I did also have to cut a slot in them where the drill motor vents. You can see one of them in the picture. It's very sturdy.

55 pages of posting

looks like I gotta get to work on mine !

thanks to everyone for the ideas

S

Not much here compared to the last 100 I've seen. Plus it's still a virgin. I have a 50 # sack of malted barley, hope to get grinding on it next week.

mill and bucket.JPG

mill inside bucket.JPG

Quick question about these direct drive motors, where are you guys finding them? I have searched ebay and its hard to know what one is the correct one with enough torque

~Cheers

I bought mine from a surplus store on the internet. I found them to be cheaper than ebay. There's tons of surplus stores in every state. Just look up surplus motors and you'll probably find a few

Quick question about these direct drive motors, where are you guys finding them? I have searched ebay and its hard to know what one is the correct one with enough torque

~Cheers

Not sure which direct drive motor you're thinking of...I used the one available from AllAmericanAleWorks and am quite pleased with it. A little pricey and Chinese but RPM and torque are appropriate. http://www.allamericanaleworks.com/

Search for any 56c frame motor, at least 1/3 hp and you'll be good to go! If you're driving a 3 roller mill with 2 inch rollers, you'll prob want at least a 1/2hp.

Finally rebuilt my kit... I want to post some more pics tomorrow b/c I'm exhausted after working on it today. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. Really happy about the way it came together though. Feels good to finally have it done "right"

Before/After
25fjc09.jpg

Back