motorized corona mill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fractional

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so its been awhile scene i posted on here and well i need a little help.

so here goes.. after grinding my last 3 batches by hand. i figured that i need to motorize my ugly corona mill.. so i found an old vacuum motor. 12 amp 10,000 rpm ( from what i read on the dyson dc14 motor).. its a little to fast. so i messed around with a pulley calculator and figured that i need 2 sets of pulleys 2- 2.25 inch vbelt and 2 12 inch vbelt both 1/2 inch bore. by doing that i can get it down to about 324 rpm.

my question is would that be enough? or should i go for an even greater reduction. and if that is enough where is a good place to get the big pulleys? as ive found the smaller ones on amazon for 4 bucks

thanks for any help

It looks like your gear reduction is right. I'm just not sure about the vacuum cleaner motor. I'm not sure on the torque that this motor puts out. To be honest what you have in mind should work. I just don't know about the motor compared to the mills requirements.

To my understanding, I think you want to be somewhere around 170 RPMs. I could be wrong though.

if i bump the 12 inchers to 18 inch i can get it down to 182 rpms. 20 inchers brings ie down to about 140 rpms maybe i should add another set of pulleys. i need to think about that

Back