Motorized Barely Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
For the first few crushes my 3/8" cordless drill did a great job on my Barley Crusher. But when I started to condition my grains the cordless drill just couldn't do it any more. I had a 1/2" drill that had the power but it wasn't a variable speed so I had to go full speed or nothing. I was considering buying a new drill but I figured this would be a good time to just motorize my mill and be done with it.

I didn't want to build a piece of furniture that would take up a bunch of valuable space in my brew area. I wanted something as small as possible that could be stored away when not in use. So, the end result is this one board two bucket design. Here a list of the parts and a few pics of the mill. NOTE: The motor actually rotates the opposite direction of the arrow someone drew on the motor.

$30 - 1/2 HP motor from Craig's List
$40 - 1 12" OD 1/2" shaft pulley, 1 3" OD 1/2" shaft pulley, 1 1/2" to 3/8" sheave, 1 50" fan belt from Graingers
$2.49 - Stainless steel switch plate cover
$0 - Light switch (found in garage)
$0 - Light switch box (found in garage)
$0 - Power cord from a server (donated from work)
$0 - Wood, screws, handle (found in garage)

$72.49 Total cost (not including the mill)

GM1.jpg

GM2.jpg

GM3.jpg

For anyone considering this approach, consider that the wimpy bushings in a Barley Crusher are not intended for the lateral forces put on them from a pulley set-up. If you are going to motorize your crusher think about using a direct drive with a gear reducer as the manufacturer recommends.

That said, I’d be interested to hear how long it takes before the bushing starts to wear. This is a nice, cost effective DYI project if it will stand the test of time.

For anyone considering this approach, consider that the wimpy bushings in a Barley Crusher are not intended for the lateral forces put on them from a pulley set-up. If you are going to motorize your crusher think about using a direct drive with a gear reducer as the manufacturer recommends.

That said, I’d be interested to hear how long it takes before the bushing starts to wear. This is a nice, cost effective DYI project if it will stand the test of time.

I am far from being an expert, but there is very minimal pressure from lateral force in this design. The "V" belt design gave ample traction to the pulleys so very little tension was required. But your point is well taken.

Hope it works out for you, but I have to agree that direct drive is the way to go with a BC. I built mine with the beefy bodine motor and set up a reverse switch because the BC inevitably jams with a larger grain bill. Be careful how much grain you run through it at startup.

Hope it works out for you, but I have to agree that direct drive is the way to go with a BC. I built mine with the beefy bodine motor and set up a reverse switch because the BC inevitably jams with a larger grain bill. Be careful how much grain you run through it at startup.

Hmmmm ... after reading these posts I am feeling less and less excited about this project. Oh well, in a worst case scenario I guess I end up with a new grain mill. :(

I am far from being an expert, but there is very minimal pressure from lateral force in this design. The "V" belt design gave ample traction to the pulleys so very little tension was required. But your point is well taken.

I think AnOldUR is right on this. The "V" belt may not be more than minimally tensioned, but as soon as you start the motor and begin milling the grain it will be applying considerable tension. The bushings will inevitably wear and this will induce wobble in the driven roller. OTOH, it may be a long time before this becomes noticeable and it probably would not be a big deal to replace the bushings when needed.

Hmmmm ... after reading these posts I am feeling less and less excited about this project. Oh well, in a worst case scenario I guess I end up with a new grain mill. :(

I've got mine with a direct drive setup: with enough torque, there's no way this mill would stop - it would take my fingers off in a heartbeat -

(note to self - add reversing switch...)

There is only one direct drive roller and the other is free spinning so it jams regardless of the amount of torque. The roller actually free spins when it jams, the motor doesn't jam In this event, a reverse switch is mighty helpful.

Personally I think you have a great "motorized grain mill". Also, if it works for what you need and and your efficiency is great then screw all the other naysayers. As far as pulleys and sheaves are concerned then by all means do what it takes to make it safe and keep it cost effective. Sorry that you hafta deal with negativity here. I think and believe that if it works for you and does the job that you intended for it to then you have accomplished your goal. BTW you can always improve upon something after you make it. That's life, society is always improving on something everyday.

As far as direct drive systems are concerned (gear motor) then you should not have any problems milling your grains. Direct drive grain mills and pulley and sheave systems are two different things. I'll say again, if it works for you and you have no problem with your efficiency then by all means use it.

I'm looking into a motorized barley crusher setup.

Any opinion on this blower motor as a possibility?

Thanks.

hate to be a dick (but i'm going to anyway) you need some kind of cable clamp on your power cord, the sharp edges form the electrical box will cut through with a little vibration in no time. anything will do even a romex clamp

other than than looks good.

:mug:

Screenshot2010-08-23at84820PM.png

hate to be a dick (but i'm going to anyway) you need some kind of cable clamp on your power cord, the sharp edges form the electrical box will cut through with a little vibration in no time. anything will do even a romex clamp

Good eye.... you are definitely not being a dick. Good advice. It's why we are here.... looking for that help.

Nice simple design. I like it. I am a big fan of compact tools when space is limited. My pasta grinder mill tucked away nicely.

As for the wiring. Get a romex plastic 1/2" insert. They are cheap. Will help a bit more with durability.

I made my new one with weather tight boxes and weather tight connectors to keep the dust out. I am a bit more OCD then most.

Personally I think you have a great "motorized grain mill". Also, if it works for what you need and and your efficiency is great then screw all the other naysayers. As far as pulleys and sheaves are concerned then by all means do what it takes to make it safe and keep it cost effective. Sorry that you hafta deal with negativity here. I think and believe that if it works for you and does the job that you intended for it to then you have accomplished your goal. BTW you can always improve upon something after you make it. That's life, society is always improving on something everyday.

As far as direct drive systems are concerned (gear motor) then you should not have any problems milling your grains. Direct drive grain mills and pulley and sheave systems are two different things. I'll say again, if it works for you and you have no problem with your efficiency then by all means use it.

Naysayers or not theyre letting him know that wear and tear will be higher... with that said it can get to be a pissing contest on how many people say the same thing... I`d gear it up myself... but im more freaked by the whole rubber band and my brew buddies tail interacting negatively... (english mastiff)...

I think you've got a good set up. i think the "possibility" of something happening over an unknown period of time is no reason to rethink your build. Over time something happens to every machine regardless of how well engineered it is. It's how long it takes, and how much it costs to fix when it happens that matters. (i.e. operational/maintenance costs) I don't think you'll have a real problem here by any reasonable standard. Good DIY project!

I didn't notice that I forgot the grommets until I viewed the photos when making this post. I will definitely fix that this weekend. Good eye by the way!

I think you've got a good set up. i think the "possibility" of something happening over an unknown period of time is no reason to rethink your build. Over time something happens to every machine regardless of how well engineered it is. It's how long it takes, and how much it costs to fix when it happens that matters. (i.e. operational/maintenance costs) I don't think you'll have a real problem here by any reasonable standard. Good DIY project!

For the two minutes it runs once a week I expect that it will be a while before any bearing failures will occur. And when (if) they do it will be a good excuse to upgrade to a Monster Mill. I used the motorized mill for the first time last Sunday and it worked like a charm.

Naysayers or not theyre letting him know that wear and tear will be higher... with that said it can get to be a pissing contest on how many people say the same thing... I`d gear it up myself... but im more freaked by the whole rubber band and my brew buddies tail interacting negatively... (english mastiff)...

Good point. My brew buddy (a Golden Retriever) is banned from the brew area during shedding season. But come the fall I will make sure he's not around during the milling process. Thanks for the warning.

Back