• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Louisiana Motor/Reducer Assembly for Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raouliii

Reaction score
I bought two of everything for a grain mill project with my brew buddy. We decided that we really only needed one between us. I am selling the second set. This is a very heavy-duty, expensive, setup. However, it is almost bullet-proof, and will crush just about anything you throw into it. Most of the items were purchased via ebay as new or in lightly used condition at prices deeply discounted from retail pricing.

A 1/3hp 120/240vac, TEFC, Baldor motor, 42CZ frame, 1725rpm, wired for 120vac.
A 10:1 Boston Gear 90deg reducer, 1/2" output shaft.
Lovejoy 1/2" couplers and spider are included.
A custom mounting board.

The reducer outputs at 172.5rpm. The 42CZ frame size is smaller in diameter to the much more common 56 frame, which takes up less space on the board. Everything is wired up with a toggle switch for crushing or clearing jams. Mounted on oak plywood, 23-7/8"wide x 22"deep, with hole cut to match a Monster Mill, MM-2 bolt spacing of 2-7/8" x 6-5/8" with shim. The motor/reducer combination results in a 104 in-lb torque rating. This is mill ready. The plywood is unfinished on the edges but for an additional fee I can cut to a smaller dimension and or apply oak banding.

I've got $260 in the motor, $80 in the reducer, about $50 in the electrical and couplers. A number of hours were put into design and fabrication of the electrical, cutouts and mounting.

I am asking $400 plus shipping. The assembly weighs in at about 35lbs.

Another reminder, this assembly is designed and tested for a Monster Mill, MM-2 with 1/2" input shaft. A MM-2 with 3/8" input shaft would require an additional coupler purchase. A MM-3 has the same bolt spacing but additional shims for the reducer and motor would need to be fabricated to raise the motor/reducer to mate with the input shaft. MM2-2.0 and MM3-2.0 have different bolt spacings and would need a new board designed and built. The same would apply for any other mill. I would be able to provide these changes for an additional fee but could not guarantee a fit without having the mill shipped to me for fitting.

Please ask any questions you may have. I have tried to provide all the information I could think of but am sure I left something out.

img_20131207_082125_260-1024x7681-61574.jpg

img_20131130_094217_251-1024x7681-61575.jpg

img_20131130_094232_959-1024x7681-61576.jpg

The mill below is the one that I am KEEPING, but is a representation of the item for sale above with a mill and hopper attached. The item shown in operation below is not part of this sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just been looking into this for the exact same mill, so can see that you've put considerable thought and effort into your design and execution - great work!

Wish I had the funds to take it off your hands, but here's a bump.

Good luck with the sale.

any chance to part out?
What are you interested in? When purchased, I got a decent price on the motor and a great price on the reducer. I don't think I'll separate the two just yet. If you don't want the board, that's not a problem.

maybe I am just special but can't quite find what model Blador motor this is.
It's a Dorner, branded and specified, motor, manufactured by Baldor. I don't see it in Baldor's catalog. The 42CZ frame size appears to be uncommon to the standard Baldor line.

I built my pully drive model with a 1hp motor. Looks like the 1/3hp is plenty, overkill on my part.
Thats a good looking unit you have built. GLWTS.

Absolutely beautiful; exactly what I'd love to have but no way I can swing it now. Made too many brewery purchases lately.

Someone is going to end up with an awesome powered mill.

Adam

Latest posts

Back