Most Sociable Hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear if anyone has a hobby which they think is as/more sociable than homebrewing. What other hobbies do HBT people partake in and are there any as sociable as homebrewing?

When it comes to the community, cave diving is about as tight knit as they come. It's definitely not a hobby you just jump into though. I've made a lot of close friends with it though.

Cave diving has to be one of those "brothers in arms" type hobbies. I've never done it but I would have thought it would be awesome. What do you do for end of year parties though :drunk:

This is hobby is high up the ladder as far as friendliness, but there's another side too, at least around here.

I've found that for every really cool homebrewer I've met, there's an equal number of completely obnoxious snobs. This is the reason why I've never joined a club. You don't even have to really get out there and attend to many events to see it. It happens right here and on other beer related sites.

Personally, my interactions in sports leagues have been more sociable than homebrewing.

Cave Diving is probably great, but I know enough about it to not want to do it. I think it's the second most dangerous hobby, right behind freestyle russian roulette.

I think the classic car restoration hobby is pretty good, but I'll admit, I've had much more fun brewing with good folks or just hanging out online than anywhere else.

Music is up there pretty high... guitar players in particular are even bigger gear geeks than home brewers, believe it or not... and we all love to get together, jam, drool over each other's guitars, amps, effects, etc

Deer hunting, at least it used to be for me. When I was growing up every male in the family would show up at deer camp 2 days before the opener. We used to eat and drink ourselves sick. Sometimes we hunted too. Some guys didn't even hunt and they would go to deer camp. We started with old mouse infested campers and ended up with a house with a huge bar, pool table a flushing toilet and shower. Nobody goes anymore, they either moved away, passed away or don't care about it. I'm the last one left and now just hunt at home. I miss it more than anything else in this world. My two favorite memories are when my uncle brought a buddy from the city who was supposed to cook all the meals as long as he could drink for free. He was so hung over one morning he was throwing up all over while cooking breakfast. I'm still not sure how I ate that morning. Another good memory was when one uncle left his case of blue light in the snow outside the camp door. When we had to pee we would go right outside the camp door and we didn't know his beer was there. The next morning there was a lot of yellow snow around his beer. It didn't seem like that big a deal to me but he got upset about it. He didn't know the night before while drinking it so that proves to me that blue light tastes like piss.

I started competition shooting back in August, and it seems to be quite sociable. The people i've met are always friendly and willing to help new shooters too, so its not like you have an old boys club that outsiders aren't welcome.

When it comes to the community, cave diving is about as tight knit as they come. It's definitely not a hobby you just jump into though. I've made a lot of close friends with it though.

What you did there, I see it.

Shooting sports for me IDPA, IPSC, SASS, W3G, Sporting Clays, bird hunting.

Way more community for me than homebrewing since I brew alone and never joined a club for it so its a loner hobby for me well except for HBT of course.

I used to fly. But a divorce (and subsequent lack of funds) and 2 bouts of kidney stoned grounded me forever.

But I do a lot of camping and motorcycle riding in the summer. In winter I do some ice fishing, but not a lot.

Latest posts

Back