Most Innovative Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtoive87

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering what you are most proud of in terms of solving an unexpected problem. I know homebrewers tend to be the innovative types, so I thought I'd see what people have done. I personally have only brewed a handful of batches, but the most innovative solution I've done is buy a 3-gallon water jug and use it as a fermentation vessel so it would fit in my temp controlled mini fridge.

I'd love to hear what others have done.

I have been using a Liang D5 computer water cooling pump, Cooler Master power supply, and a Swiftec MCP 2x120 radiator to recirculate ice water through my ribcage IC. It's equipment I already had around from a water cooled server I made, so why not use it? The 2x120 copper radiator sits on its side at the bottom of a tub of ice water. The pump output connects to the IC input. IC output is routed so that it creates a whirlpool effect in the round tub to keep the water moving as much as possible. It works very well. I first tried it with a copper coil prechiller, but the restriction was too high. The copper radiator is perfect since it has extremely low restriction and excellent heat transfer. I use 1/2" ID Primochill tubing and Koolance quick disconnects to hook the entire assembly together. It's equipment I already had around from a water cooled server I made, so why not use it?

I have been using a Liang D5 computer water cooling pump, Cooler Master power supply, and a Swiftec MCP 2x120 radiator to recirculate ice water through my ribcage IC. It's equipment I already had around from a water cooled server I made, so why not use it? The 2x120 copper radiator sits on its side at the bottom of a tub of ice water. The pump output connects to the IC input. IC output is routed so that it creates a whirlpool effect in the round tub to keep the water moving as much as possible. It works very well. I first tried it with a copper coil prechiller, but the restriction was too high. The copper radiator is perfect since it has extremely low restriction and excellent heat transfer.

Whoa! How long does that take to cool?

Whoa! How long does that take to cool?

Did 5 batches this month with it. Use the garden hose to get down to a few degrees over ground water temp which was ~ 80 this month. Then switch to ice water. Takes about 15 minutes to get from ~83 to 65. If I had the ability to recirc the wort to do a whirlpool chilling system it would go MUCH faster. My chugger pumps should be in this week, can't wait to try the whirlpool method!

Back