Most beers green, a couple 100% better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIZ

Reaction score
I did a search of the forums and couldn't find an exact answer to my question here...

I've been drinking my first brew for the past week (aged 3 1/2 weeks now) and I'm having consistency issues. Most of my bottles seem kind of "green" ala thin head, short lasting head, flavor not quite there etc. But there are a couple of bottles that have aged MUCH better. The head is thick, long lasting, and you can just taste the difference. I can tell the better aged bottles are also stronger ABV wise, which really confuses me.

I racked on top of my priming solution so I don't think that would be a problem. I couldn't find a suggestion besides that on the forums (maybe I missed something). What else could cause such huge discrepancies in consistency? All of the bottles have been stored in the same area the whole time.

Maybe you didn't get the priming sugar mixed into the beer consistently before bottling? If some bottles are light on sugar, the yeast won't have as much "food" to feed on.

I encountered similar issues with a couple different batches. I racked on top of the priming sugar, did everything right, and experienced a wide variety in the carbonation levels in my beers... turns out, after giving them all a few extra weeks, they all came around and leveled off to same amount. Not sure why some carb up faster than others, but my suggestion would be to give them a couple more weeks.

One thought is - is the level you're filling the bottles up consistant? The more or less room in the bottle will affect the speed of carbonation...

Finally, if you love brewing but hate bottling, you should start planning to switch to kegging - very worth it and removes the hassle alltogether! :fro:

demuzik said:
Not sure why some carb up faster than others, but my suggestion would be to give them a couple more weeks.
That's probably true but it's so hard to do when you know some are aged well but you won't know until you crack the bottle and pour it! Lol

One thought is - is the level you're filling the bottles up consistant? The more or less room in the bottle will affect the speed of carbonation...

So is it better to fill the bottles a little more or a little less?

Finally, if you love brewing but hate bottling, you should start planning to switch to kegging - very worth it and removes the hassle alltogether! :fro:

I do plan on doing so eventually. I still have to price such a transition out and figure out when I can make the switch.

Maybe you didn't get the priming sugar mixed into the beer consistently before bottling? If some bottles are light on sugar, the yeast won't have as much "food" to feed on.

That's the only thing I could think of although it seems I mixed the priming mixture in pretty well by racking on top of it. It seems to me that the ABV wouldn't be that much different otherwise anyway but I can definitely tell a difference in how much I get buzzed by the better aged bottles. The ABV confuses me the most.

Small differences in temp can have a great affect on how quickly beers carb. If one beer is closer to a heat vent by even a few inches it could carb up and age faster than the rest of the bottles. Give them more time and you will see more consistencies across your bottles. If they are higher abv beers they will need longer to condition than 3.5 weeks. I would say give them another two weeks and throw one or two in the fridge from different spots in your bottle aging area. Try them after 48 hours in the fridge and make a decision from there. The yeast will do what they do, you just have to give them enough time.

I posted a thread where I tried bottling my cider with a sucrose syrup priming solution, except I made the syrup too thick and it all stuck to my bottling bucket. I figured not a drop of sugar made it into the bottles, except 3 weeks on my tester plastic bottle actually does have some pressure on it, so who knows.

I haven't actually opened any of the bottles as SWMBO is pregnant so I'm not drinking right now. Baby is due any day, wish the little bugger would pop out so I can start drinking beer again.

Back