Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could get you the recipe, but that's pretty much it right there

Sautee the mushrooms in butter & garlic, simmer in merlot

I do melted butter, garlic, onions, mushrooms, a few dashes of Worcester Sauce in about a cup of white wine. Simmer that down for 20 minutes. Then pour over steak.

I do melted butter, garlic, onions, mushrooms, a few dashes of Worcester Sauce in about a cup of white wine. Simmer that down for 20 minutes. Then pour over steak.

We don't do onions, but this is about it

red/white is personal preference, but yours sounds like it would be phenomenal on some chicken

annoying-responses-to.jpg

Chopped morels(or button mushrooms) caramelized in butter(takes 45 minutes to an hour) with garlic added at the end and just cooked through. Add a splash of Worcestershire and cook that down then off the heat add more butter and stir in. Pour over steak and enjoy! Season with S&P of course...

prefer mine on the well side of medium, but have a fairly wide latitude of acceptable doneness.

no A1, ever.

the BigHair makes an awesomely tasty merlot garlic mushroom dish, once in a while I'll stab a mushroom, then a bite of steak. about as close as I'll get to putting anything on it

We really need to get this thread back on track so let's solve the great steak debate...Either you like your steak rare with salt, pepper, and maybe a lil olive oil or you're a maniac and your opinion doesn't count! Phew! Now, let's talk about some annoying responses to being a homebrewer :ban:

We really need to get this thread back on track so let's solve the great steak debate...Either you like your steak rare with salt, pepper, and maybe a lil olive oil or you're a maniac and your opinion doesn't count! Phew! Now, let's talk about some annoying responses to being a homebrewer :ban:
:off:
Back to steak.

Chopped morels(or button mushrooms) caramelized in butter(takes 45 minutes to an hour) with garlic added at the end and just cooked through. Add a splash of Worcestershire and cook that down then off the heat add more butter and stir in. Pour over steak and enjoy! Season with S&P of course...

That's kinda what we do. ^^^

I've come to like Pico De Gallo on steak too. Medium to medium-well.

If it's bitter orange marinated grilled skirt steak, then it's definitely medium-well.

Is quite common when you talk to somebody you are a Homebrewer and people say "Nice! Can you do something like a Brahma?"*

Lately my answer is something like "It's possible, if I try hard may be I can brew a watery and tasteless corn based beverage."

On the beginning, I tried to explain the difference between mass production "corn based" beverage and Beer, but lately I have no more patience for this. I'm becoming old...

*Brahma is the Brazilian "cousin" of Bud Light

I was at a block party once and took some home brew to share with my neighbors. A few people really liked it but most just kept talking about steaks and mushroom!

At least they all had good taste and didn't ask you stupid questions, like can you make something like Pabst Blue Ribbon. - LOL

My in-laws are the exact same way. Super bland food, no creativity, and worst of all - they're basically against drinking. They honestly believe that ONE drink gets you blasted drunk...

That's what's the most annoying response to talking about homebrewing. Just blankly staring because they literally don't know what beer or alcohol IS or the first thing about it. Pure ignorance.

This is because they're morally programmed to believe alcohol consumption is for drunks and they've never been exposed to a culture that shows otherwise. I've been in more countries than I have fingers on my hands and can tell you it isn't that way in the real world.
I've found people who love to eat also love to drink and try odd combinations of both to see what they like best. Everyone eats and everyone drinks, but some people never want to step outside that comfort zone to push their limits.

This is because they're morally programmed to believe alcohol consumption is for drunks and they've never been exposed to a culture that shows otherwise. I've been in more countries than I have fingers on my hands and can tell you it isn't that way in the real world.
I've found people who love to eat also love to drink and try odd combinations of both to see what they like best. Everyone eats and everyone drinks, but some people never want to step outside that comfort zone to push their limits.

They've been brain washed by some religious figure. Wonder if they take the blood of Christ.

He should tell them Jesus was a homebrewer turned water into wine. - LOL

Some people grew up around alcoholism and it's a personal decision not to drink. They don't generally look down on others for drinking.

I don't get many stupid comments about the beer itself. Rather, some people seem bemused at the volume of beer I brew. "You brew five gallons at a time? Are you a raging alcoholic?" I explain to them the scale of brewing, that it's often more practical to brew several gallons at a time, given the time commitment to the process. And that it takes quite a while for me to drink 48 bottles of homebrew. I don't drink a lot, but I enjoy what I drink.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, some smartass calls me an alcoholic."

Sometimes, from a tee totaller who quit drinking because they had a problem controlling their own intake ... or the person who has a perceptual problem that people could actually drink 5 gallons in a sitting.
Personally, my state has a legal limit of 200gal/per year. To me, that's quite a lot, but if you're the sharing type that amount can be small beans.

Sometimes, from a tee totaller who quit drinking because they had a problem controlling their own intake ... or the person who has a perceptual problem that people could actually drink 5 gallons in a sitting.
Personally, my state has a legal limit of 200gal/per year. To me, that's quite a lot, but if you're the sharing type that amount can be small beans.

If you in 5 gallon quantities, that's 40 batches averaging one batch about every 9 days. Takes a lot dedication to do that for one ..... and dedication in your pursuit of beer drinking.

We're not alcoholics. Alcoholics need to brew beer. I have beer on tap. I just want to brew more so I don't become an alcoholic.

I don't get many stupid comments about the beer itself. Rather, some people seem bemused at the volume of beer I brew. "You brew five gallons at a time? Are you a raging alcoholic?" I explain to them the scale of brewing, that it's often more practical to brew several gallons at a time, given the time commitment to the process. And that it takes quite a while for me to drink 48 bottles of homebrew. I don't drink a lot, but I enjoy what I drink.

yeah i got that are you an alcoholic and i always respond..Yes

I had some one ask if I had any beer they could have for a friend...I said I was out but was brewing on Thursday....he responded oh great can i get some of it on Friday then

Yeah you just make it and add the alcohol... You know!
:D

They must think it's like brewing coffee or tea! :)

I once had somebody ask me what I used for alcohol.

I'm sure it's been said, but I usually get "So you just mixed the ingredients together and that's it, or what?"

It's not a particularly annoying response, but the most common first question is, "so how long does that take?" and I always tell them I make a pale saison that takes two weeks, and I also make a Flanders Red that takes two years.

It's not a particularly annoying response, but the most common first question is, "so how long does that take?" and I always tell them I make a pale saison that takes two weeks, and I also make a Flanders Red that takes two years.

Yeah, I always have to break up my response.

"Well, the actual brew day takes about 5-6 hours, but then it can ferment and age anywhere between two weeks and many months, depending on the recipe."

Back