Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather have a Budweiser than a Leinenkugel Shandy or a Bud Light Lime. Both are undrinkable IMO.

I have a confession to make. Sometimes when I get off work all tired, hot and sweaty, I'll stop and buy a 25 oz can of Bud Mang-O-Rita. It may be junk, but flipping on the A/C in my motor home's living room, and settling down under it with that sticky-sweet stuff poured over crushed ice, is a little slice of heaven when it's 105 degrees outside.... and believe me, 25% of an 8% ABV drink sucked down in a relatively short time will definitely help you unwind. :p

The odd thing is that normally I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Aside from the occasional home-made mint julep, my idea of a mixed drink is adding a little water and ice to some bourbon, rye or scotch.

If you consider rice a top notch ingredient, then more power to you. I don't know what the hell they call it if they try to sell it in Germany (or Belgium), but they can't legally call it beer since it's made with rice.

Why is rice not top notch? Is it when they make sake?

If you consider rice a top notch ingredient, then more power to you. I don't know what the hell they call it if they try to sell it in Germany (or Belgium), but they can't legally call it beer since it's made with rice.

Rice actually cost more than malt these days. If you don't believe a dude like Mitch Steele when he says that AB does all they can to keep quality and consistency as high as they can, you're out of your mind.

And Belgium is probably #2 in the world when it comes to adjunct use. Ever see a recipe for a tripel or a golden strong? 20%-30% beet sugar. Are these automatically substandard beers because they use something other than malt? No, they produce some of the most well respected beers in the entire world. I don't get the hate for adjuncts. I've had multiple Classic American Lagers that have 30% corn grits in the grist that are absolutely stunning, full flavored and bodied beers.

I had to google that one. Never heard of it before!

They also have Lime-A-Rita, Strawberita, and Raz-ber-ita. Never tried the Lime; the Strawberry is OK; I was seriously disappointed with the Raz. I've tried raspberry-flavored products from Happy Days dipping tobacco on down the line over the years, and this was the first one I didn't like.

When the Germans bought out Budweiser they put buds longest running grain suppliers out if business because they found a cheaper alternative. They no longer use specific hops farms either. Everything is generic and cheap. The only quality control they have is wether or not it tastes like bud. If it fails that quality test then they call it keystone. Thy use beechwood, not to add flavor but to add surface area so that the fermentation process can be sped up. And they do triple cold filter, for flavor, which in my experience reduces certain flavor properties. All that aside I hate Budweiser because it tastes like ****.

1. When did germans buy Budweiser?
2. Where did you get the information about them finding a cheaper alternative for everything?
3. Did Anheuser-Busch buy Keystone from Coors?
4. the beechwood chips are boiled so they don't attribute any flavor. There used for surface area to allow the yeast to flocculate faster and help the yeast take up off flavors faster. Not ferment faster.
5. They do use some older techniques that your favorite craft breweries don't even use like krausening to help with off flavors and to begin carbonating the beer.

I'm not trying to be a d*ck but we should all thank AB and Millercoors for where beer is at today. They funded a lot of money for scientific research in malting, hops, wort production and other things. You can get a PhD in Malting in the US because of AB wanting to keep consistency up. Even if people hate them they are a necessary evil.

Yeah and they profit from every beer sold ever by any brewery in the us. Since their lobbyist have the ability to keep stupid laws on the books making it illegal to sell any alcoholic substance unless it passes through a distributor associated with AB or MC, who in themselves are monopolies allowed to operate within the US even though monopolies are illegal. Thanks AB for making it possible for us to make beer…

We need another president like Teddy Roosevelt again. He broke up 25 monopolies in this country & we need that again. Beatrice for one. Sorry for getting political, but that's where it's at.

In Texas we have distributors that are not owned at all by AB or MC....

But you're absolutely correct! Now we can rag on them for things they actually do that negatively affect craft beer! Forcing to distribute sucks. But when you name off tons of false information it makes your point seem very uncredible. Also they are not a monopoly. That means that one company owns most of the industry. I think the word you were looking for is oligopoly. Thats where a group of small companies control most of the industry. Just like wireless providers, movie studios, high speed internet companies...

Also that's not illegal...

Now back on track. Lets make fun of the people that drink their Beer :tank:

When 2 companies dominate an entire nation (used to be 3), one of which (in some ways both) are partnered with sister companies internationally, it's more than an oligopoly. It's a conspiracy against the very people they call consumers. I agree that if you want to profit from a brewery you should at least be held up to safety standards. But the hoops you have to jump through from the ATF is bs, then to have do the same at the state level is redundant bs. Just to be told that every dollar you make has to go through another companies hands is total bs. And trumps the evil of a monopoly.

When 2 companies dominate an entire nation (used to be 3), one of which (in some ways both) are partnered with sister companies internationally, it's more than an oligopoly. It's a conspiracy against the very people they call consumers. I agree that if you want to profit from a brewery you should at least be held up to safety standards. But the hoops you have to jump through from the ATF is bs, then to have do the same at the state level is redundant bs. Just to be told that every dollar you make has to go through another companies hands is total bs. And trumps the evil of a monopoly.

At least they don't force us to pay craft beer prices for there beer...

Globally AB, MC, or any of their sister companies aren't the top sellers. The only three in the list out of all the companies they are sistered with are Bud Light, Budweiser, and Coors. They rank 3, 4 and 10th, respectively. I'm not saying the company conducts their business perfectly. But it seems like you have an irrational hate towards them. Are they to mainstream?

and what you described is literally an oligopoly.

Apparently Belgium = Germany now. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

I noticed that when it was first posted and wanted to say something snarky, but I figured everyone was about to turn into rabid dogs, so I stayed out of it.

Apparently Belgium = Germany now. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

While Belgium law doesn't contain a full-blown, German style ban on adjuncts in beer, they do not permit rice. So, they're not entirely the same in terms of beer politics.

While Belgium law doesn't contain a full-blown, German style ban on adjuncts in beer, they do not permit rice. So, they're not entirely the same in terms of beer politics.

That wasn't a dig at your post, rather the one that claimed the Germans had bought Budweiser.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well most people on this forum are educated and genuinely nice people. We really don't expect someone to come along and troll. We leave that to reddit and other forums.

I still don't understand the whole act anyway. I always assumed it was what people claimed they were doing after looking completely incompetent in front of others. People would rather look like an a**hole than stupid.

Also I don't think you upset anybody with your opinions. Opinions are yours to have. I just wanted to clear up your inaccurate information before others read it. You know how the internet works....

Ill drink any of the bmc beers if someone hands one to me. You probably won't see me buying it though. This forum got a little off topic over the last few pages... just saying... there is a debate forum.

I'm heading to a party later on. I have some homebrewed two-hearted with me, just a 6-er to share. But on the way I'm going to stop and grab a case of Coors - because I don't care if it's not cool, if I'm hanging out and slamming beer all night, I like the taste of a light lager.

People who dismiss the big breweries' products as crap are about as ignorant as they come.

Although, Bud really does need to update that little schpiel on their beer:
This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness, and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price. Brewed by our original all natural process using the choicest Hops, Rice and Best Barley Malt.

Although, Bud really does need to update that little schpiel on their beer:
This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness, and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price. Brewed by our original all natural process using the choicest Hops, Rice and Best Barley Malt.

Every time that Budweiser commercial comes on with the old guy who's responsible for testing the quality of your beer you drink comes on and starts talking about his job, I can't help but laugh hysterically at that commercial.

OK, I'll admit it. I work for one of the three BMC's, inspecting bottles at a glass plant. I'm not ashamed of this, and I get 3 free cases a month!

OK, I'll admit it. I work for one of the three BMC's, inspecting bottles at a glass plant. I'm not ashamed of this, and I get 3 free cases a month!

Colorado huh? I feel like I can guess which one...:)

Free is always good. Kinda like pizza. I don't care for pizza hut but if someone gives me a slice, it never crosses my mind to not to eat it.

Yup ;) you probably guessed right! That being said, I won't turn down free, but if I can make (and drink) my own I most certainly will.

Now admit it. You have asked if you can use the canning line to bottle/can your homebrew before haven't you?

Not to mention, I am sure you sent at least one glove on a trip down the line riding a bottle.

To sort of get back on topic, while still on BMC...check out this interview with Pete Coors:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/2014/05/02/pete-coors-grappling-ever-changing-world-beer/13551/

Coors said he is baffled about trends that show the more expensive craft beer market growing by about 7 percent, the light premium beer market staying flat and the economy beer market with brands such as Pabst Blue Ribbon and Keystone dropping by 7 percent or even into double figures.

“In this economy that is difficult to understand,” Coors said.

Yes, Mr. Coors, that's baffling. Why would so many people want to pay more money for beer which is actually designed to have strong flavors rather than "light premium" which has been skillfully designed to have as little flavor as possible? Hmmm.....

I'd rather have a Budweiser than a Leinenkugel Shandy or a Bud Light Lime. Both are undrinkable IMO.

I tried a Leinenkugel Shandy once. Bartender said they had this new beer in and asked if I wanted to try it. Didn't even have to pay for it after the bartender saw my reaction with one taste.

Now admit it. You have asked if you can use the canning line to bottle/can your homebrew before haven't you?

Not to mention, I am sure you sent at least one glove on a trip down the line riding a bottle.

Nope. The plant I work at makes the actual bottles, we don't fill em. I have done the Laverne and Shirly glove trip once or twice tho :p

OK sorry fellers, :off:

Anyone remember Red Dog? That was my cheap beer years ago. $5 per 12 pack if I remember correctly.

Red Dog was brewed by "Plank Road Brewery"

otherwise known as the Miller Brewing Company

Plank Road was the name of Frederick Miller's first brewhouse. they brought the name back in the 90s to sell Icehouse and Red Dog as "microbrews"

Red Dog was brewed by "Plank Road Brewery"

otherwise known as the Miller Brewing Company

Plank Road was the name of Frederick Miller's first brewhouse. they brought the name back in the 90s to sell Icehouse and Red Dog as "microbrews"

Because if anything makes you think 'microbrew' its definitely Ice House and Red Dog.

Anyone remember Red Dog? That was my cheap beer years ago. $5 per 12 pack if I remember correctly.

Ha ha, ol' Red Dog... for a long time, that was my dad's "boat beer" - the stuff he'd get to drink while either working on or sitting on the boat.
He would at least drink Harpoon IPA or Sam Adams Boston Lager at home. (I think he had a fear of glass bottles either at the boatyard or on board.)
Finally I broke him of that habit, and not Sierra Nevada Torpedo is his go-to, on and off boat.
He does have no problem drinking any of the stuff I end up with, for some reason, either homebrew or commercial.

Coors said he is baffled about trends that show the more expensive craft beer market growing by about 7 percent, the light premium beer market staying flat and the economy beer market with brands such as Pabst Blue Ribbon and Keystone dropping by 7 percent or even into double figures.

“In this economy that is difficult to understand,” Coors said.

Yes, Mr. Coors, that's baffling. Why would so many people want to pay more money for beer which is actually designed to have strong flavors rather than "light premium" which has been skillfully designed to have as little flavor as possible? Hmmm.....

10 years ago you couldn't even find a chili pepper in most Finnish supermarkets - there was just no market for them at all. I remember once when I had found some cayenne peppers at a store (damn, that was strange) - I took them home and dried out the seeds. I was planting those for several summers just so I could have some fresh chili peppers. A few years back, Finland got hit by "chili pepper craze" and now everybody and his brother are proclaimed chili pepper experts and participating in competitions to see who can eat the most naga.

It's largely the same situation with IPA in the US - 15 years ago, 99% of US residents never heard of a freaking IPA. Today, everybody and his brother is a proclaimed IPA expert and bringing them to competitions.

These type of overcompensations generally occur when a country has been internationally shamed and shunned due to it's severe lacking in a particular area. Brits got shamed for not having a food culture at all, Finns got shamed for not wanting to consume anything which posessed a stronger flavor than milk, US got shamed for long-term production (and consumption) of ungodly large quantities of the ****tiest beer ever known to man.

The market will even itself back out after the overcompensators lose interest, but Jamie Oliver is here to say, jalapenos will be found in Finnish supermarkets for a long time now, and IPA isn't going to disappear from US supermarkets. The growth that Mr. Coors is surprised about right now can pretty much be attributed to the 50 grand bass boat in the yard, wife who doesn't own a pair of shoes syndrome.

Haha where I come from plank road is where you don't drive after midnight… unless you want a dirty hooker or to be picked up by the popo for soliciting dirty hookers

Back