Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddies say "I hope your beer isn't a disappointment like your life has been" my beer is good, but my life..........

That is about what I get. Here is something that happended to me:

A friend of the wife's was being supportive. Her (friend) hubby and son drink beer, so I should let them try it. So, I give them two nice smooth porters. I get the bottles back in about two days. I asked what they thought. They said they just poured it out and did not drink it. I said, "What?" They said, well, that was not approved by the FDA, so we do not think it is something you should drink!!!!

So, I said, if someone baked you a cake, you would just throw it out, right? They did not get it.

I'm normally a pretty calm person but in this case I would not have been able to...

I also enjoy a good fist fight now and again this is a perfect time IMO.

I'm normally a pretty calm person but in this case I would not have been able to...

I also enjoy a good fist fight now and again this is a perfect time IMO.

Exactly. They were looking for a fight or they would have returned them full instead of dumping them. Give em what they want.

My mom at Christmas, "why would you want to brew your own beer?"

After long thought I think the best way to respond to this type of response is to turn it back on them. If they like to bake things, "Why would you want to bake your own bread?" If they like to make furniture, "Why would you want to build your own cabinets?" If they like to...

If they have no hobbies or other passions, call the morgue.

Someone asked me if i brew a Miller light style beer. I replied no if I wanted that I would just buy it

Wizard, I don't even know what to say to that. You should've cast magic missile on them.

A very good buddy of mine ONLY drinks Bud Light. He always at least tries a sample of my homebrews but just doesn't have the taste for craft brews. I take it as a personal challenge to create a craft beer that he will actually finish! I came close with a Peach & Tea brew last summer...

I don't care how many batches I'll have to make (and drink), but 2014 will be the year I get him!

Easy! Well, easy to say. Brew a premium, standard or lite American lager. These are BJCP styles. Those sound like the styles he likes.

I'd say the most annoying thing to me, is when I let somebody have a bottle of beer and they just assume they can come by and fill up a growler as if it took me no time to brew this beer. I understand that it is quite a bit cheaper than purchasing from a store but the amount of time I put into it is much more valuable.

It seems that people I know are more supportive. For the most part I get a lot of people telling me that they know other homebrewers. Well, that or people who want me to teach them to brew or brew something in particular for them.

A very good buddy of mine ONLY drinks Bud Light. He always at least tries a sample of my homebrews but just doesn't have the taste for craft brews. I take it as a personal challenge to create a craft beer that he will actually finish! I came close with a Peach & Tea brew last summer...

I don't care how many batches I'll have to make (and drink), but 2014 will be the year I get him!

I have a recipe for a peach cream ale that is what I have used to win over my piss light drinkers.

No sense trying,you can't fix stupid.

You can with a swift kick to the groin, or punch to the nose.

That is about what I get. Here is something that happended to me:

A friend of the wife's was being supportive. Her (friend) hubby and son drink beer, so I should let them try it. So, I give them two nice smooth porters. I get the bottles back in about two days. I asked what they thought. They said they just poured it out and did not drink it. I said, "What?" They said, well, that was not approved by the FDA, so we do not think it is something you should drink!!!!

So, I said, if someone baked you a cake, you would just throw it out, right? They did not get it.
My guess on what happened? Porters, even smooth ones, are outside the comfort zone of the average BMC drinker. I'll bet they opened the bottles intending to drink them, and discovered they were 'dark beer.' The FDA thing is probably just a cover story for the fact that they couldn't handle the stuff, after looking at at and maybe taking a tentative sip.

As stupid as it sounds, I think the gal worked at coming up with an explanation she hoped would cover her menfolk without insulting you personally. At least she was honest enough to admit they didn't drink them... pity her for getting stuck between you and them, and move on.

I'd say the most annoying thing to me, is when I let somebody have a bottle of beer and they just assume they can come by and fill up a growler as if it took me no time to brew this beer. I understand that it is quite a bit cheaper than purchasing from a store but the amount of time I put into it is much more valuable.
An old high school flame I still keep in touch with occasionally sent me a text today while I was getting ready to bottle, wishing me a Happy New Year and asking what I was up to. So I sent her a pic of everything laid out and ready to go. She replied, "if you can spare it, might I humbly ask for a taste when it's ready?"

I told her, "dang, girl, it's just me. You don't have to be that polite...." :drunk:

My guess on what happened? Porters, even smooth ones, are outside the comfort zone of the average BMC drinker. I'll bet they opened the bottles intending to drink them, and discovered they were 'dark beer.' The FDA thing is probably just a cover story for the fact that they couldn't handle the stuff, after looking at at and maybe taking a tentative sip.

As stupid as it sounds, I think the gal worked at coming up with an explanation she hoped would cover her menfolk without insulting you personally. At least she was honest enough to admit they didn't drink them... pity her for getting stuck between you and them, and move on.

But at least taking a sip or two lets you make an honest informed decision of "yeah, I didn't really care for it."

I realize some people are too polite to tell a brewer they didn't like it for fear of hurting their feelings, but there's a big difference between "I'm not really a fan of that type of beer" and "it sucked".

scottyg354 said:
For me, when I tell someone I homebrew and the respond "Moonshinin' Nice!", makes me want to slap the **** out of someone. This is why only my good friends get to try my whiskey. ;)

Wow yes you are so right.

Roger

Wow yes you are so right.

Roger

" I don't like dark beer. It makes me burp and fart."

Really? You're a man. We love to burp and fart.

Yeah, and drinking BMC or Rolling Rock (Rolling Rock is NOT beer. :D ) instead won't make you burp or fart...??

One of my friends coined the term "Mud butt" from drinking too much BMC one morning.

Farting is nothing. :D

"Oh like tickle on moonshiners? I'm gonna call you tickle." I said I felt like that was insulting since tickle is a true moron and beer isn't moonshine, not even a little.

Yeah, and drinking BMC or Rolling Rock (Rolling Rock is NOT beer. :D ) instead won't make you burp or fart...??

One of my friends coined the term "Mud butt" from drinking too much BMC one morning.

Farting is nothing. :D

The normal term we had back in school was "booze poos" (named after the star of a childrens TV program that was popular at the time) :D

We called them "hershey squirts",but sooner or later you wind up with a shart the next morning. Sometimes what you think is a fart with that morning burp is a whole new,rather sudden experience.

We called them "hershey squirts",but sooner or later you wind up with a shart the next morning. Sometimes what you think is a fart with that morning burp is a whole new,rather sudden experience.

Wow.. This conversation has really digressed!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Most recently:

Plus I'm a home brewer...

Oh really that's cool what kind of beer do you make?

Mostly Belgians that are around 10% or over 10%

You mean like Shock Top and Blue Moon?

No more like Chimay or Unibroue...

*eyes gloss over...

To be fair the kid has been 21 for about a week and calls pretty much every beer an IPA. Not so much annoying I guess. I remember a guy asking me if I would teach him to brew and I said "yeah sure what kind of beer do you want to make?" and he says, no joke, "oh I don't know something like Bud Light." I told him he'd be better off buying bud light than trying to make it.

An interesting one from just a few days ago because I mentioned to a coworker that I was planning and building an immersion wort chiller:

"awesome! so that means you can do cold brewing like Budweiser does?"

I like this coworker, but I nearly slapped him.

You can immersion chill/ heat a fermenter but I doubt that's what he meant. :D I doubt my SS bending skills though.

My favorite so far was from a buddy of mine during a brew day. "This isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Were just sitting and watching water boil."

Now invite him over to watch the airlocks bubble! :mug:

Maybe you should've just explained to him that Bud & the like are lagers & brewed at lower temps then ales?...

I did, even explained the purpose of the wort chiller, It was just annoying to hear that. To be fair though: we work in a continuous chemical plant, so the idea of using a hat exchange to keep something cold would make sense to him.

I remember a guy asking me if I would teach him to brew and I said "yeah sure what kind of beer do you want to make?" and he says, no joke, "oh I don't know something like Bud Light." I told him he'd be better off buying bud light than trying to make it.

I probably would have introduced him to the cream ale. It runs $9/case but I haven't met anyone yet who didn't prefer it over Bud.

I probably would have introduced him to the cream ale. It runs $9/case but I haven't met anyone yet who didn't prefer it over Bud.

As with a lot of these stories there's more to it. The guy was a meatball and I knew he wasn't seriously trying to get me to teach him. It was one of those situations where it went like this about 3 or 4 times: "I'd like to learn... OK come over saturday I'll show you... I can't do it saturday man I have stuff to do."

+1 on the cream ale suggestion though. That's a good idea for converting BMC folks.

As with a lot of these stories there's more to it. The guy was a meatball and I knew he wasn't seriously trying to get me to teach him. It was one of those situations where it went like this about 3 or 4 times: "I'd like to learn... OK come over saturday I'll show you... I can't do it saturday man I have stuff to do."

+1 on the cream ale suggestion though. That's a good idea for converting BMC folks.

So it sounds like he was really saying "I'm gonna get cheap/free beer! I'm in... what I have to work for it... what it costs money... ummmm I'm kinda busy"

Most annoying response i get when i tell someone i homebrew is " oh really? is it good?" i respond by saying no its horrible

Well, I'm breaking tradition here a bit in this thread and posting a very positive experience. We were invited to a neighborhood holiday party the week before Christmas, so, back in early November, I brewed up 5 gallons of my House Amber that I brew. It's a little hoppy, a little malty, but over all a pretty good beer to introduce someone into homebrew. The hose had been to my house a couple of times and it was his suggestion that I bring some homebrew.

So, I split the batch between my two 2.5 gallong kegs I have. The one I put on gas and got it carbed up for the party. Initially I was a little nervous bringing a whole 2.5 gallons to the party. It was a weeknight, family oriented, so I wasn't sure if that was going to be too much for this situation.

Turns out, my fears were unfounded. I was really kind of surprised. Everyone who came to the party was anxious to try it. Most responses were, "wow, this is homebrew, this is really good." Now, it could have easily been the convenience of the mini keg, with the tap just sticking out of it, but when another good friend from the neighborhood finally arrived about an hour after I did, he couldn't wait to try the homebrew. He got one glass, then it kicked.

Everyone kept coming up to me the rest of the night asking if I had another keg of that beer, it was really good. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to brag about my beer. It's more that I'm just so used to the majority of people I meet being BMC drinkers, that usually you get the obligatory, "Um, yeah, it's OK, I like my light beer though." It was a really nice change of pace to see people enjoying a beer that wasn't your typical mass appeal party beer.

Well, I'm breaking tradition here a bit in this thread and posting a very positive experience. We were invited to a neighborhood holiday party the week before Christmas, so, back in early November, I brewed up 5 gallons of my House Amber that I brew. It's a little hoppy, a little malty, but over all a pretty good beer to introduce someone into homebrew. The hose had been to my house a couple of times and it was his suggestion that I bring some homebrew.

So, I split the batch between my two 2.5 gallong kegs I have. The one I put on gas and got it carbed up for the party. Initially I was a little nervous bringing a whole 2.5 gallons to the party. It was a weeknight, family oriented, so I wasn't sure if that was going to be too much for this situation.

Turns out, my fears were unfounded. I was really kind of surprised. Everyone who came to the party was anxious to try it. Most responses were, "wow, this is homebrew, this is really good." Now, it could have easily been the convenience of the mini keg, with the tap just sticking out of it, but when another good friend from the neighborhood finally arrived about an hour after I did, he couldn't wait to try the homebrew. He got one glass, then it kicked.

Everyone kept coming up to me the rest of the night asking if I had another keg of that beer, it was really good. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to brag about my beer. It's more that I'm just so used to the majority of people I meet being BMC drinkers, that usually you get the obligatory, "Um, yeah, it's OK, I like my light beer though." It was a really nice change of pace to see people enjoying a beer that wasn't your typical mass appeal party beer.

May have to share the recipe :p I like balanced beers and that sounds like it may be a good one :)

May have to share the recipe :p I like balanced beers and that sounds like it may be a good one :)

Ah, I would love to take all the credit for this, but it's based off of the "Much Better Amber Ale" in the Amber hybrid section of the recipes. I've made some changes to it and have settled on a different bittering hop, but not sure I'd be able to take credit enough to call it my own.

When I get around to it, I'll post the recipe I've been doing in that thread.

Amen

Back