Mosaic S.M.A.S.H. (yellow rose clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Museman11

Reaction score
So I was visiting some friends in Texas earlier this month, and I got to try the yellow rose by lone pint. It was amazingly delicious. And I want to try and clone it, but I'm having some difficulty finding a recipe that is actually a smash. Any of you guys have a recipe I could try? (All grain obviously) It would be much appreciated. Thanks

Cheers

So I was visiting some friends in Texas earlier this month, and I got to try the yellow rose by lone pint. It was amazingly delicious. And I want to try and clone it, but I'm having some difficulty finding a recipe that is actually a smash. Any of you guys have a recipe I could try? (All grain obviously) It would be much appreciated. Thanks

Cheers

I know them personally. I'll see if I can get some info for you.

I came up with the below and it's very close, but I think I need to bump up the bittering hops.

13.5 weyermann German pilsner
1 oz mosaic @60
1 oz mosaic @30
1 oz mosaic @15
1 oz mosaic @0
1.5 oz mosaic dry hop
WLP001

Mashed @ 152

They used to list on their website that they used weyermann pilsner Malt and mosaic hops. Being it's a SMaSH, not very hard to come up with a recipe.

I came up with the below and it's very close, but I think I need to bump up the bittering hops.

1 oz mosaic @60
1 oz mosaic @30
1 oz mosaic @15
1 oz mosaic @0
1.5 oz mosaic dry hop
WLP001

Mashed @ 152

They used to list on their website that they used weyermann pilsner Malt and mosaic hops. Being it's a SMaSH, not very hard to come up with a recipe.

I'm brewing a Yellow Rose clone this weekend. I think your IBUs are way too high in that recipe. I was at the brewery last weekend and they list Yellow Rose at just 62 IBUs and mention a massive dry hop. This is what I'm doing.

1 oz mosaic @30
1.5 oz mosaic @15
1.5 oz mosaic @0
3 oz mosaic dry hop - 2 DHs of 1.5 oz each for 3-4 days

This is not a bitter beer. It's light and fruity with tons of hop aroma. Can't imagine it would come close to the original with that 60 min addition.

I'm brewing a Yellow Rose clone this weekend. I think your IBUs are way too high in that recipe. I was at the brewery last weekend and they list Yellow Rose at just 62 IBUs and mention a massive dry hop. This is what I'm doing.

1 oz mosaic @30
1.5 oz mosaic @15
1.5 oz mosaic @0
3 oz mosaic dry hop - 2 DHs of 1.5 oz each for 3-4 days

This is not a bitter beer. It's light and fruity with tons of hop aroma. Can't imagine it would come close to the original with that 60 min addition.

A couple days after the post above, I did brew this. I adjusted the hop schedule a bit more. Reduced the early hops and went big at the end.

0.5 oz mosaic @30
0.5 oz mosaic @15
2 oz mosaic @ 10
2 oz mosaic @ 5
2 oz mosaic @ whirlpool at 170 degrees
3 oz mosaic dry hop - 2 DHs of 1.5 oz each for 3 days

Cracked my first bottle last night after 14 day ferment, 10 days in the bottle, and 4 more days in the fridge. Lucious fruity mosaic aroma and flavor. Low bitternes and very smooth. Easily the best beer I have made so far. Looking forward to doing a side by side with the real thing soon.

A couple days after the post above, I did brew this. I adjusted the hop schedule a bit more. Reduced the early hops and went big at the end.

0.5 oz mosaic @30
0.5 oz mosaic @15
2 oz mosaic @ 10
2 oz mosaic @ 5

Cracked my first bottle last night after 14 day ferment, 10 days in the bottle, and 4 more days in the fridge. Lucious fruity mosaic aroma and flavor. Low bitternes and very smooth. Easily the best beer I have made so far. Looking forward to doing a side by side with the real thing soon.

Sounds amazing. I'm going to try this out this weekend.
Let us know how the side by side comparison goes :mug:

0.5 oz mosaic @30
0.5 oz mosaic @15
2 oz mosaic @ 10
2 oz mosaic @ 5

I was messing around with your hop schedule on brewersfriend and it still comes out at 100 IBU's. I use 8% utilization with whirlpool with 12%AA hops.
Do you know what you estimated it at?

I was messing around with your hop schedule on brewersfriend and it still comes out at 100 IBU's. I use 8% utilization with whirlpool with 12%AA hops.
Do you know what you estimated it at?

To me, the whirlpool and dry hops don't add bitterness, just aroma and flavor, so I don't account for any IBUs from those additions. Don't know if that's right or not, but that's how I do it. Having drank several bottles of this, I would say around 70 IBUs seems about right. I also had pretty high efficiency, and my OG came in at 1.078 - higher than I had expected. So that might have also had some effect.

I agree with the whirlpool bitterness issue. I am not convinced it add much appreciable bitterness. And any it does add seems to be very soft and not aggressive like a boil addition. Last DIPA I did had 16oz in a whirlpool and dry hopping after that. Wasnt very bitter at all

I agree with the whirlpool bitterness issue. I am not convinced it add much appreciable bitterness. And any it does add seems to be very soft and not aggressive like a boil addition. Last DIPA I did had 16oz in a whirlpool and dry hopping after that. Wasnt very bitter at all

Pretty much this. I always zero out the IBU contribution in Brewers Friend just to see where I really am.

I have put off my side by side until this weekend when I will be meeting up with some craft beer drinking friends. They will be honest with me. I'll take some pics and then I plan to post this in the recipes section of HBT. I'll link to it here when I do that.

Next time I brew this, I will cut back on the Pilsner malt and shoot for an OG of 1.065 which should give me a 7% ABV. That should bring it much closer to the original and hopefully an even better side by side.

0.5 oz mosaic @30
0.5 oz mosaic @15
2 oz mosaic @ 10
2 oz mosaic @ 5

God that sounds really good. I love the late addition. When did you throw the dry hops in... do you know what would have been the difference going 6 ounces at 10 minutes instead of 2 2 and 2.... I guess I'm asking how does the late addition hops work. I make a lot of smash because I buy stuff in bulk but need to get a little different hop I've been using Willamette

God that sounds really good. I love the late addition. When did you throw the dry hops in... do you know what would have been the difference going 6 ounces at 10 minutes instead of 2 2 and 2.... I guess I'm asking how does the late addition hops work. I make a lot of smash because I buy stuff in bulk but need to get a little different hop I've been using Willamette

I think that if I threw all the late additions in at 10 minutes I would have gotten some more bitterness and less aroma and fruity hoppy flavor, especially from skipping the whirlpool. This was my first beer cooling to 170, then halting the cooling for 20 minutes to do the whirlpool, and I'm thrilled with the result. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to re-brew, but that's not a change I plan to make. If anything I would probably increase the whirlpool addition.

Dry hop was 1.5 oz days 8-11 and again 11-14, then bottled on day 15.

What is the point of dry hopping twice with the same hop? Why not do a single 3 oz dry hop if you are looking for a big dry hop flavor?

Not a Yellow Rose clone but,

11 pounds Golden Promise
1oz FWH
1.5oz 15 minutes
1.5oz flame out
2oz dry hop

Not a Yellow Rose clone but,

11 pounds Golden Promise
1oz FWH
1.5oz 15 minutes
1.5oz flame out
2oz dry hop

this makes me all warm and fuzzy inside as I just brewed my first smash brew with almost this very same grain bill and hop schedule. Can't wait until it is ready.

10g batch
22 lbs GP
2oz 60min
3oz 10min
4oz flameout

and going to do 4oz in each fermenter as a dryhop...

yes, thats a full pound of mosaic hops /evilgrin

Don't know where this fits in but I grab a crapload of bulk 2 row and hops to well make beer you know. ..so what is one to do with a ton of two row and Willamette hops.....ill try to find exact but i think it was 10 to 15 pounds 2 row, crystal 40 and 2 oz @ 60 4 @ 10....whirlpool sounds way better

0.5 oz mosaic @30
0.5 oz mosaic @15
2 oz mosaic @ 10
2 oz mosaic @ 5

Saturday night I took several bottles of my clone along with a 750ml bottle of Yellow Rose to a party with some craft beer drinking friends. Everyone who tried it loved it. Said the aroma and flavor were both real close and that mine had a bit more body, which I will assume was due to a higher ABV. (8.4% vs. 6.8%) I used the above hop schedule with 14 pounds of German Pilsner (Weyerman) a 60 minute mash at 153 and a 90 minute boil. Next time I will cut back to 12.5 pounds of pilsner to bring it down closer to the original. My OG was 1.078 and my FG was 1.014.

Sorry, forgot to add that I fermented with US-05.

At the end of the night, all four bottles of mine were gone, and there was still close to 1/3 of the bottle of Yellow Rose left. Well, until I drank it.

^^^ that sounds very promising and delicious!
I'm about to rack mine to secondary with slight changes for my set up. Samples have been amazing!
13.5 lb German Pilsner
.5 lb German Carapils
.5 oz @ 30 min
1 oz @10 min
2.5 oz @5 min
2 oz Whirlpool at 170F for 30 min.
2 DHs of 1.5 oz each for 3 days

IBU should be around 64

60 min mash with 90 min boil.
OG 1.065- hopefully i'll get it down to 1.015 for ABV 6.56%
WLP001 at 65F

Really wish i could get my hands on the real thing to compare. Dont think i'll get that luxury living up here in PA.

Only thing I can already say I will change is making this into a 6 gallon batch. I have 5.5 in primary now, but a good gallon and some is going to be all trub.

Thanks for the recipe and input! @TxBigHops

I was at my local store today (SoCo Homebrew) and they actually brewed this with the Lone Pint guys. Apparently when they did their batch the hop additions were as follows:

0.5oz @60
0.5oz @30
2.0oz @15
2.0oz dryhop

I picked up 13.5# pilsen and some WLP090 (although the LP guys said they used some other West Coast strain). Hoping to brew tomorrow and will post back here with results.

Tasting this after 2 weeks in the bottle and, though I've yet to do a side-by-side, I have to say it is pretty close. I would probably up the malt to 15# next time, but that's just because my efficiency isn't great.

This weekend I'll pick up a bottle of Yellow Rose at the gas station down the street for a taste test.

Tasting this after 2 weeks in the bottle and, though I've yet to do a side-by-side, I have to say it is pretty close. I would probably up the malt to 15# next time, but that's just because my efficiency isn't great.

This weekend I'll pick up a bottle of Yellow Rose at the gas station down the street for a taste test.

You have Yellow Rose at gas stations.

Just had Founders Mosaic Promise, a smash with golden promise and it was excellent. Mosaic throws a little too much melon for my taste but it was a damn fine beer.

Just had Founders Mosaic Promise, a smash with golden promise and it was excellent. Mosaic throws a little too much melon for my taste but it was a damn fine beer.

You know it I'm going to start buying golden promise in bulk making all my beers with it. Last time I was at the beer store I stuck my face in every bin to me it tasted the best

1 oz mosaic @60
1 oz mosaic @30
1 oz mosaic @15
1 oz mosaic @0
1.5 oz mosaic dry hop
WLP001

Mashed @ 152

I've never had Yellow Rose, but I made this recipe because I had some Mosaic and wanted to see what it tasted like. I found it in a search for mosaic hops recipes.

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/lone-pint-brewery-pioneer-yellow-rose-ipa-clone-recipe

I made it with some second gen Conan yeast because that is what I had around.

It is a grapefruit bomb. Not very bitter, but a great fruity/grapefruit nose and tons of grapefruit hop flavor. I whirlpooled the flameout addition for about 20 minutes. It tastes a lot like Abita Wrought Iron IPA without a the harsh bitterness in the finish

I like it quite a bit and won't change it next time I brew it.

It is a very special gas station, indeed. Offerings from Lone Pint, Jester King, Adleberts, etc.

All at the Mobil on South Congress, just North of Ben White.

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few gas stations stepping up their beer offerings lately. I've heard there is one south of Houston in the NASA Rd area that is supposed to be fantastic!

I've never had Yellow Rose, but I made this recipe because I had some Mosaic and wanted to see what it tasted like. I found it in a search for mosaic hops recipes.

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/lone-pint-brewery-pioneer-yellow-rose-ipa-clone-recipe

I made it with some second gen Conan yeast because that is what I had around.

It is a grapefruit bomb. Not very bitter, but a great fruity/grapefruit nose and tons of grapefruit hop flavor. I whirlpooled the flameout addition for about 20 minutes. It tastes a lot like Abita Wrought Iron IPA without a the harsh bitterness in the finish

I like it quite a bit and won't change it next time I brew it.

Grapefruit? From Mosaic? Are you sure you used Mosaic?

Yep. It all mosaic and is an absolute grapefruit bomb. As I said, it tastes a lot like Abita's Wrought Iron IPA which is predominantly mosaic.

I just poured a small taste to check to see that I am not insane...

The nose is more sweet melon than grapefruit, but the taste is absolutely grapefruit with some tropical fruit/sweet fruit finish. Mango maybe? Mandarin orange? Pineapple?

Grapefruit is the first blast, though.

Regardless, it is f*&6king good. Ha!

I just poured a small taste to check to see that I am not insane...

The nose is more sweet melon than grapefruit, but the taste is absolutely grapefruit with some tropical fruit/sweet fruit finish. Mango maybe? Mandarin orange? Pineapple?

Grapefruit is the first blast, though.

Regardless, it is f*&6king good. Ha!

Thanks. I haven't ever gotten grapefruit, but I greatly reduced the early hop additions and load up at the end, per my recipe up above. Since that reduces the bitterness, I'm not associating grapefruit with the little citrus that I get in mine. But I definitely get the mango and other sweet tropical fruits.

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few gas stations stepping up their beer offerings lately. I've heard there is one south of Houston in the NASA Rd area that is supposed to be fantastic!

You refer to the Shell station in Friendswood, just a few blocks from me. They have the best selection I've seen. Same folks own Nobi Public House so craft beer is their thing.

Getting ready to brew a yellow rose clone based on information from this thread.

Anyone have anything else to offer.

The one thing that I want to know is if your color matches the original. The beer seems a lot darker that what Pilsner malt would produce. Maybe it is all of the hop goodness that clouds the beer and makes it look darker.

Getting ready to brew a yellow rose clone based on information from this thread.

Anyone have anything else to offer.

The one thing that I want to know is if your color matches the original. The beer seems a lot darker that what Pilsner malt would produce. Maybe it is all of the hop goodness that clouds the beer and makes it look darker.

I brewed 10 gallons that was tapped and gone in about a month thanks to my friends and neighbors. Its been a while since I had the original but color seemed good.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467048396.285102.jpg

I just tapped my Mosaic SMaSH this weekend. It's a hit and won't last long. I have a bottle of Yellow Rose and will do a comparison soon. I need to remember to stick the bottle in the kegerator so they'll be the same temperature first.

Back