Mosaic S.M.A.S.H. (yellow rose clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another batch using the same recipe that I followed earlier
except I used two row because I was out of Pilsner and S0-5 instead of Conan. It was really good. Don't think I could tell the difference between the Pilsner or Two Row, but I didn't have them side by side.

I don't know if is close to the "real" thing or not, but I don't really care ;)

Regardless, I can't keep this in the house. Everybody that tries it, loves it. Time to brew some more

Here's what I know about this beer, giant post ahead:

I've successfully cloned Yellow Rose after many tries, and the only thing that has made it real was their house yeast. Trevor Brown (founder of Lone Pint) told me that the only two secrets they keep are their water and their yeast.

YEAST

I managed to get some of their yeast by simply asking via e-mail. Trevor was really nice and accommodating and invited me to come by one morning during a transfer to get a jar of slurry. If anyone chooses this route, definitely be aware that you're going to a functioning brewery during working hours so dress accordingly - as in, wear clothes that you don't mind getting yeast, beer, and caustic on. You also will be in their way. Not that your presence will be an intrusion, but the brewery is so small that you will probably be stepped over at least once. Basically, get in and get out. You can talk to the brewers on a tour day if you want to chit-chat.

Trevor told me that their yeast isn't one you can buy in stores. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it might have been when they first adopted that yeast. They founded the brewery in 2012, and with EthanH's information that the LP guys said they used a west coast yeast, it could be that a yeast from the west coast has come into production since 2012 that wasn't available then.

I've also taken that yeast and repitched it into 2 other beers, so I have a good idea on what flavors the yeast puts out, and I'm still puzzled as to its origin. It's definitely not Chico, probably not 090 either. Could be Pacman or 1332 Northwest Ale. Whatever it is, it's not a neutral yeast by any means, and is a very poor flocculator. There is a lot of bread dough, pale stone fruit, and a little tartness. It really accentuates hops, especially the passionfruit, mango, lychee "tropical" category that Mosaic falls into. It could also be a blend. Can't rule that out as a possibility.

WATER

I've been to the brewery, and they have a water filtration system, which I'm guessing is RO. Looking at the pic, it could also just be carbon block filtration, but they have some other tanks against the wall which appear to be connected. They also have an extensive supply of water salts. I imagine they build their water from scratch, and it definitely has a focus on Sulfate. They have more bags of gypsum than anything else.

Their system
rfRYexM.jpg

MALT

I love the DeFalco's guys, they're my LHBS, but their recipe is completely off. It was the one I used when I started my journey to clone this beer, and there were not enough hops, no dry hopping, and the wrong malt. I would urge people to not use that if they want to clone Yellow Rose. They also only say to boil for 60 minutes. For my first try at that I followed the recipe to a tee, and I got a hoppy DMS bomb. Whoops.

Weyermann Pilsner malt is mandatory here, hands down. No other malt I've tried even comes close to the flavor of that one. It's also the malt they use, so there's no reason to use anything else if you are attempting to clone it.

HOPS

I've always used pellet hops because I can't find any whole Mosaic hops, but I don't think it makes a difference. My latest brew, the successful clone, had just a bit less sharpness to the bitterness, which could be the difference between whole and pellet, or it could be water, or it could be that I didn't add enough bittering hops. I focused more on the late and whirlpool hopping. I used 7oz. in my 6 gallon batch, but I could have easily used half a pound.

RECIPE

For 6 gallons at the end of the boil (5.5 into the fermenter), and 70% efficiency:

OG - 1.064, FG - 1.014, 6.6% ABV, 64 IBU (Rager)
90 Minute Boil
90 Minute Mash @ 150F

14.5lb Weyermann Pilsner malt

All Mosaic hops
0.6oz @60
1.0oz @20
1.4oz @10
2.0oz @Whirlpool/Hopstand for 20 minutes (can be more)
2.0oz @Dry Hop 5 days (can definitely be more)

Lone Pint House Yeast (sub with fruity, hop focused yeast)

I used my standard "Pale & hoppy" water profile, but it could probably use a little more sulfate.

Calcuim: 96 ppm
Magnesium: 10 ppm
Sodium: 8 ppm (it's just what I have in my water)
Sulfate: 200 ppm
Chloride: 55 ppm
Bicarbonate: 16 ppm (again it's just what I have)

Add acid to bring pH down to 5.2-5.4 (I aim for 5.4 in my hoppy beers)

Side by side, I've never brewed a beer as cloned as this one. The only difference was that mine has just a touch less of a sharp hop bite than LP's. Other than that, the beers are identical. I ended up pouring one glass into the other they were so similar.

Sorry bout the megapost, I've tried to condense all my knowledge on this beer as best I can. Hope it helps someone. Good luck!

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few gas stations stepping up their beer offerings lately. I've heard there is one south of Houston in the NASA Rd area that is supposed to be fantastic!

I'm intrigued. A little off topic, but is there anywhere near NASA Johnson In Houston that has "must stop" beer offerings? My girlfriend works at NASA and we will be in Houston in two weeks and visiting Johnson. Looking for some beer to bring back.

Thanks for taking the time and giving us all this information! :mug:

What would you recommend if you have no way of getting a yeast sample from Lone Pint House??

I've successfully cloned Yellow Rose after many tries, and the only thing that has made it real was their house yeast. Trevor Brown (founder of Lone Pint) told me that the only two secrets they keep are their water and their yeast.

YEAST

I managed to get some of their yeast by simply asking via e-mail. Trevor was really nice and accommodating and invited me to come by one morning during a transfer to get a jar of slurry. If anyone chooses this route, definitely be aware that you're going to a functioning brewery during working hours so dress accordingly - as in, wear clothes that you don't mind getting yeast, beer, and caustic on. You also will be in their way. Not that your presence will be an intrusion, but the brewery is so small that you will probably be stepped over at least once. Basically, get in and get out. You can talk to the brewers on a tour day if you want to chit-chat.

Trevor told me that their yeast isn't one you can buy in stores. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it might have been when they first adopted that yeast. They founded the brewery in 2012, and with EthanH's information that the LP guys said they used a west coast yeast, it could be that a yeast from the west coast has come into production since 2012 that wasn't available then.

I've also taken that yeast and repitched it into 2 other beers, so I have a good idea on what flavors the yeast puts out, and I'm still puzzled as to its origin. It's definitely not Chico, probably not 090 either. Could be Pacman or 1332 Northwest Ale. Whatever it is, it's not a neutral yeast by any means, and is a very poor flocculator. There is a lot of bread dough, pale stone fruit, and a little tartness. It really accentuates hops, especially the passionfruit, mango, lychee "tropical" category that Mosaic falls into. It could also be a blend. Can't rule that out as a possibility.

WATER

I've been to the brewery, and they have a water filtration system, which I'm guessing is RO. Looking at the pic, it could also just be carbon block filtration, but they have some other tanks against the wall which appear to be connected. They also have an extensive supply of water salts. I imagine they build their water from scratch, and it definitely has a focus on Sulfate. They have more bags of gypsum than anything else.

Their system
rfRYexM.jpg

MALT

I love the DeFalco's guys, they're my LHBS, but their recipe is completely off. It was the one I used when I started my journey to clone this beer, and there were not enough hops, no dry hopping, and the wrong malt. I would urge people to not use that if they want to clone Yellow Rose. They also only say to boil for 60 minutes. For my first try at that I followed the recipe to a tee, and I got a hoppy DMS bomb. Whoops.

Weyermann Pilsner malt is mandatory here, hands down. No other malt I've tried even comes close to the flavor of that one. It's also the malt they use, so there's no reason to use anything else if you are attempting to clone it.

HOPS

I've always used pellet hops because I can't find any whole Mosaic hops, but I don't think it makes a difference. My latest brew, the successful clone, had just a bit less sharpness to the bitterness, which could be the difference between whole and pellet, or it could be water, or it could be that I didn't add enough bittering hops. I focused more on the late and whirlpool hopping. I used 7oz. in my 6 gallon batch, but I could have easily used half a pound.

RECIPE

For 6 gallons at the end of the boil (5.5 into the fermenter), and 70% efficiency:

90 Minute Boil
90 Minute Mash @ 150F

All Mosaic hops
0.6oz @60
1.0oz @20
1.4oz @10

I used my standard "Pale & hoppy" water profile, but it could probably use a little more sulfate.

Side by side, I've never brewed a beer as cloned as this one. The only difference was that mine has just a touch less of a sharp hop bite than LP's. Other than that, the beers are identical. I ended up pouring one glass into the other they were so similar.

Sorry bout the megapost, I've tried to condense all my knowledge on this beer as best I can. Hope it helps someone. Good luck!

I don't know this beer, and am not attempting to clone it, but that was an awesome post. Nice sleuthing.

RECIPE

90 Minute Boil
90 Minute Mash @ 150F

All Mosaic hops
0.6oz @60
1.0oz @20
1.4oz @10

Thanks for the great post.

Do you use gelatin, cold crash, etc.

I'm intrigued. A little off topic, but is there anywhere near NASA Johnson In Houston that has "must stop" beer offerings? My girlfriend works at NASA and we will be in Houston in two weeks and visiting Johnson. Looking for some beer to bring back.

Lots of good choices these days. Just down the road from NASA is Nobi Public House with 50+ beers on tap and more bottled. Also in the area is J Henry's Draught House - another 50 taps and great food, too. A new brewery not far from Nobi is Saloon Door Brewing.

Also, that Shell gas station mentioned earlier is owned by the Nobi people and is a few miles west on FM 528/NASA Road 1. Great bottled beer selection.

Do you use gelatin, cold crash, etc.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I do cold crash for 3 days at 33F. No finings for me though. This beer isn't meant to be crystal clear, but a NE-IPA it is not. Some haze is alright.
I don't know this beer, and am not attempting to clone it, but that was an awesome post. Nice sleuthing.
Thanks! :mug:
What would you recommend if you have no way of getting a yeast sample from Lone Pint House??
Honestly, I have no idea. I'd try Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. I think the tartness that people report from that yeast is more along the lines of the LP house yeast. I haven't used it myself, though, but it's a yeast I'd be keen on trying next if I didn't have access to the brewery. Another might be Wyeast 1007 Altbier, or even White Labs 029 Kolsch. Those yeasts are a bit fruity and have a slightly tart finish while accentuating the hop goodness.

The yeast is a really odd sticking point for me. No yeast I've tried has even come close to the character that their house yeast provides. It's fruity on the pale stone fruit side (think peaches and apricots), and slightly tart, with poor flocculation. Any of those aspects could be from mutation and deviation from the original culture. Keep those characters in mind when selecting a strain.

If you wanted to get really close, 1272/051, or 1007/029 are probably going to be your ideal picks. 1272/051 will slightly bring the malt forward while letting the hops do their thing, and leave a creamier and fuller body. 1007/029 will accentuate the hops with some tartness and very subtle sulfur, and give you a crisp dry finish with a lighter body. Just make sure you ferment 1007/029 in the 58F-60F range to avoid too much fruitiness.

Both yeasts will make a beer very close in character and complexity to Yellow Rose, so it's up to you on what sort of mouthfeel you desire out of your IPAs. Truthfully, I think I've made too much of a fuss about the yeast. It's really just based on my own pursuit of perfection when it comes to this beer. This recipe is very hard to screw up, and Mosaic/Pilsner will make a beautiful beer regardless of the yeast, in my opinion.
I live on the West side of Houston, so I'm not going to be a big help for places too close to Johnson.

However, if you are willing to jump on I45 and head north into the city, D&Q Beer Station is a must-visit beer mecca for Houston. Their prices run about a dollar or so higher than other places, but it's well worth it for the selection. They also write the bottle dates on the Yellow Rose bottles - something the brewery hasn't been able to do themselves yet.

Another place you absolutely can't miss is the Spec's in downtown. They have everything, and if by some odd chance they don't have what you're looking for, they can probably order it. Their prices are about the best you'll find in town, too. Joey is the guy to talk to. He'll be the tall skinny white guy with the neck tattoos. Dude is a total badass and will hook you right up.

Their Twitter feeds will keep you up to date with the newest stuff.
D&Q Twitter
Spec's Twitter

And of course, here are the addresses to plug in to your favorite GPS or Google Maps:
D&Q: 806 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77006
SPEC'S: 2410 Smith St, Houston, TX 77006

Aww crap. This turned into another long post. Sorry bout that guys. :eek:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I do cold crash for 3 days at 33F. No finings for me though. This beer isn't meant to be crystal clear, but a NE-IPA it is not. Some haze is alright.

Thanks! :mug:

Honestly, I have no idea. I'd try Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. I think the tartness that people report from that yeast is more along the lines of the LP house yeast. I haven't used it myself, though, but it's a yeast I'd be keen on trying next if I didn't have access to the brewery. Another might be Wyeast 1007 Altbier, or even White Labs 029 Kolsch. Those yeasts are a bit fruity and have a slightly tart finish while accentuating the hop goodness.

The yeast is a really odd sticking point for me. No yeast I've tried has even come close to the character that their house yeast provides. It's fruity on the pale stone fruit side (think peaches and apricots), and slightly tart, with poor flocculation. Any of those aspects could be from mutation and deviation from the original culture. Keep those characters in mind when selecting a strain.

If you wanted to get really close, 1272/051, or 1007/029 are probably going to be your ideal picks. 1272/051 will slightly bring the malt forward while letting the hops do their thing, and leave a creamier and fuller body. 1007/029 will accentuate the hops with some tartness and very subtle sulfur, and give you a crisp dry finish with a lighter body. Just make sure you ferment 1007/029 in the 58F-60F range to avoid too much fruitiness.

Both yeasts will make a beer very close in character and complexity to Yellow Rose, so it's up to you on what sort of mouthfeel you desire out of your IPAs. Truthfully, I think I've made too much of a fuss about the yeast. It's really just based on my own pursuit of perfection when it comes to this beer. This recipe is very hard to screw up, and Mosaic/Pilsner will make a beautiful beer regardless of the yeast, in my opinion.

I live on the West side of Houston, so I'm not going to be a big help for places too close to Johnson.

However, if you are willing to jump on I45 and head north into the city, D&Q Beer Station is a must-visit beer mecca for Houston. Their prices run about a dollar or so higher than other places, but it's well worth it for the selection. They also write the bottle dates on the Yellow Rose bottles - something the brewery hasn't been able to do themselves yet.

Another place you absolutely can't miss is the Spec's in downtown. They have everything, and if by some odd chance they don't have what you're looking for, they can probably order it. Their prices are about the best you'll find in town, too. Joey is the guy to talk to. He'll be the tall skinny white guy with the neck tattoos. Dude is a total badass and will hook you right up.

Their Twitter feeds will keep you up to date with the newest stuff.
D&Q Twitter
Spec's Twitter

And of course, here are the addresses to plug in to your favorite GPS or Google Maps:
D&Q: 806 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77006
SPEC'S: 2410 Smith St, Houston, TX 77006

Aww crap. This turned into another long post. Sorry bout that guys. :eek:

Awesome, thanks so much! Looks like Specs is only 8 minutes from my hotel. Staying at Magnolia.

Sorry to get off topic! If I can find Yellow Rose and it's as good as everyone says, I'l be sure to try and clone it!

Oh and one more thing. How'd I forget this? The Yard House at Baybrook Mall has Yellow Rose on tap, plus another 130 taps.

Awesome, thanks so much! Looks like Specs is only 8 minutes from my hotel. Staying at Magnolia.

Sorry to get off topic! If I can find Yellow Rose and it's as good as everyone says, I'l be sure to try and clone it!

My friends in Houston rave about the hay merchant which it appears you will not be far from. The pictures they send me have me drooling. Seems to have great food and a great selection of beers on tap. Just so happens yellow rose is on tap per their website.

Specs will have a large selection of local beers to take home with you. :mug:

So we did the side-by-side comparison today and ... there was more difference in color than taste. Consensus is that the more you drink the less any subtle difference in taste matters;)

LOL. That's one of the mysteries of life! LOL. Cheers!

So we did the side-by-side comparison today and ... there was more difference in color than taste. Consensus is that the more you drink the less any subtle difference in taste matters;)

So the commercial beer is in the middle?

Yeah, the two on the ends are mine and the Yellow Rose in the middle. They must use a different German pils than I did.

My friends in Houston rave about the hay merchant which it appears you will not be far from. The pictures they send me have me drooling. Seems to have great food and a great selection of beers on tap. Just so happens yellow rose is on tap per their website.

Specs will have a large selection of local beers to take home with you. :mug:

Well I went by Specs in an Uber not realizing we were going to pass it but unfortunately I had so much wedding stuff to do the first few days, and then spent the nights at a sketchy bar with local friends in midtown (barbarella?)

Then the last two days my girlfriend and I were there, we were sick (and not hungover) so we didn't get to do a whole lot :(

would Wyeast 1056 be fine? also, im plugging all of this into beersmith and its telling me its over 100 ibus. what am i missing? do i just need to lower my utilization to zero for the dryhop and whirlpool?

would Wyeast 1056 be fine? also, im plugging all of this into beersmith and its telling me its over 100 ibus. what am i missing? do i just need to lower my utilization to zero for the dryhop and whirlpool?

Yes on the Wyeast 1056. I used WLP001 but they are pretty much the same thing. Yes, too, on ignoring the IBUs from whirlpool and dry hop. I used a total of 7oz Mosaic - 3oz in the dry hop. The whirlpool and dry hop are going to give you flavor and aroma only, not additional bitterness.

Yes, too, on ignoring the IBUs from whirlpool and dry hop.

Wellll...

The whirlpool will give some bitterness, but the utilization is around 5%-10% on our homebrew scale, depending on gravity and amount of hops used. If you have some kind of whirlpooling setup where you're pumping near-boiling wort, similar to Jamil's whirlpool chiller, then you'll get utilization on the higher end of that range. Pro breweries need to consider this fact due to a half hour or so whirlpool before pumping to the chiller. Some even need to shift boil hop additions further towards the end of the boil due to the extended time the wort spends hot to avoid bitterness bombs.

I know personally that whirlpool hops count towards bitterness. One of my 47 IBU Pale Ales would only clock in at 18 IBU otherwise.

Some info from the pope himself: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=3078860&postcount=4

The dry hop though, yeah, such a small IBU contribution it's not even measurable or even noticeable. You still will get some bitterness. Well, sort of. It's like, put a hop in your mouth and chew it, it's totally non-isomerized, yet it's bitter as all heck. Sorry I made you do that, your ability to taste will probably come back in a couple of days. Anyway, you'll get some of that from dry hopping, but it isn't emulsified in the beer and drops out quickly. So circling back around, yes, dry hopping doesn't add bitterness. Well, it does, but it doesn't. Wait, what was I talking about? :tank:

Saturday night I took several bottles of my clone along with a 750ml bottle of Yellow Rose to a party with some craft beer drinking friends. Everyone who tried it loved it. Said the aroma and flavor were both real close and that mine had a bit more body, which I will assume was due to a higher ABV. (8.4% vs. 6.8%) I used the above hop schedule with 14 pounds of German Pilsner (Weyerman) a 60 minute mash at 153 and a 90 minute boil. Next time I will cut back to 12.5 pounds of pilsner to bring it down closer to the original. My OG was 1.078 and my FG was 1.014.

Sorry, forgot to add that I fermented with US-05.

At the end of the night, all four bottles of mine were gone, and there was still close to 1/3 of the bottle of Yellow Rose left. Well, until I drank it.
A little late to the party on this one, but why did you do a 90 min boil when your first hop edition is at 30 mins? Was it just to get down to volume?

Pilsner malt is sometimes boiled for 90 mins to drive off DMS (cream corn taste)

Some people say it isn't necessary to boil for 90 minutes others say it is. YMMV

Pulled the last pint of the Mosaic SMaSH yesterday and brewed it again today. It's going to be a long 4 weeks or so waiting to have it again.

Here is my take.

I followed the hopping schedule from TxBigHops. Pilsner malt utilizing multiple rests. I also used gelatin fining.

Finally had a chance to do a side by side. I have to say this recipe is very tasty and they are both very similar. I would say that Lone Pint is a little more bitter than TxBigHops hopping schedule. You can also see from the picture that my beer is a little more clearer than lone pints but the color is pretty close. In the end, I don't think I would change my recipe. It is super tasty and finished a little dryer than Lone Pints which is fine by me. Maybe, I would not add any finings to leave it a little cloudy or not add whirl floc.

Here is my recipe for a 5 gallon batch.

Stove Top BIAB
70% Brewhouse Efficiency
90 Minute Boil

13lb Pilsner Malt

0.5oz Mosaic 30 Minutes
0.5oz Mosaic 15 Minutes
2oz Mosaic 10 Minutes
2oz Mosaic 5 Minutes
2oz Whirlpool at 170 Degrees
1.5oz Dry hop 3 days
1.5oz dry hop 3 days

Step Mash
15 Minutes at 104
15 Minutes at 122
30 Minutes at 140
30 Minutes at 158
10 Minutes at 170

US-05 Yeast

OG 1.069
FG 1.012 (Brewer's Friend said it should be 1.017)
7.48%
72 IBU

IMG_6369.jpg

Here is my take.

I followed the hopping schedule from TxBigHops. Pilsner malt utilizing multiple rests. I also used gelatin fining.

Finally had a chance to do a side by side. I have to say this recipe is very tasty and they are both very similar. I would say that Lone Pint is a little more bitter than TxBigHops hopping schedule. You can also see from the picture that my beer is a little more clearer than lone pints but the color is pretty close. In the end, I don't think I would change my recipe. It is super tasty and finished a little dryer than Lone Pints which is fine by me. Maybe, I would not add any finings to leave it a little cloudy or not add whirl floc.

Here is my recipe for a 5 gallon batch.

Stove Top BIAB
70% Brewhouse Efficiency
90 Minute Boil

13lb Pilsner Malt

0.5oz Mosaic 30 Minutes
0.5oz Mosaic 15 Minutes
2oz Mosaic 10 Minutes
2oz Mosaic 5 Minutes
2oz Whirlpool at 170 Degrees
1.5oz Dry hop 3 days
1.5oz dry hop 3 days

Step Mash
15 Minutes at 104
15 Minutes at 122
30 Minutes at 140
30 Minutes at 158
10 Minutes at 170

US-05 Yeast

OG 1.069
FG 1.012 (Brewer's Friend said it should be 1.017)
7.48%
72 IBU

Glad I could help and glad you have a successful brew! I never have gotten back to brewing this again. So many beers...

I did a Mosaic/ Maris Otter SMASH a few months ago, and LOVED it. Mashed at 155, Notty at 65 degrees. I kept the IBUs low, about 35 or so with additions only at 20, 10, and 5. I also skipped the dry hop and went with an ounce of hops in a liter of water at 160* for 30 mins as a tea, added right to the bottling bucket.

RESULTS: Insanely good. I don't think I did anything unusual, I'm posting here mostly because I didn't get any really heavy grapefruit hit from it. I'm NOT a fan of grapefruit flavors, so I'd notice it if it was there.

Probably the best batch I've ever brewed.

I've successfully cloned Yellow Rose after many tries

I brewed this beer back in mid-Jan. using NatureOfTheYeast's very detailed research/recipe (thanks for that, btw!), and I gotta say, he nailed it!

This was actually my very first all-grain brew and my first solo brew ever (I've only ever helped a buddy with his extract brews a couple of times)! Given this, my expectations weren't super high going into my first brewday, but I did a ton of research beforehand and spent a pretty good penny on some quality equipment after winning my Fantasy FB league this year, so I figured what the hey. I thought a SMaSH IPA would be a nice way to ease into the hobby and, being a hophead from Texas, I drink Yellow Rose weekly, so this seemed like a good place to start.

Recipe
I built my recipe in Brewer's Friend. My goal was 1.065 OG, 1.015 FG, with 66.74 IBUs (Rager) for a 6.6% beer. Yellow Rose, for comparison's sake, is 1.063 OG, 1.012 FG and 62 IBUs for a 6.8% beer, per the bottle.

Unlike NatureOfTheYeast, I did not have access to Lone Pint's house yeast, so I used WYeast 1056. He mentioned that Lone Pint's house yeast was very low flocculating, so I chose 1056 (this was a good choice, IMO).

Actual results below...

12 lbs. Weyermann German Pilsner Malt

Mosaic Hop Pellets at:
0.6 oz at 90' Boil (**on a 120' boil - see below)
1.0 oz at 20' Boil
1.4 oz at 10' Boil
2.0 oz for a 20' Whirlpool after cooling to 155 degrees
2.0 oz at Dryhop (5 Days) - Active Ferm was essentially done by this point
1 Whirlfloc tablet at 5' Boil

Water Profile
Ca: 128.0
Mg: 21.8
Na: 23.6
Cl: 52.0
SO4: 116.9
HCO: 72.4

Added 5g Gypsum and 3.5g slaked lime to tap water + 16.87ml Lactic Acid. After some reading, I decided that NOTY's SO4/Cl ratio seemed high. Yellow Rose isn't a bitter beer, so I went a bit lower on the scale, at 2.2 SO4/Cl.

Happy Mistakes

Being my first brew, it wasn't without boo-boos...

- I predicted 1.5 gallons of water loss to grain absorption. Don't remember where or why I got this number, but I ended up with way less, more like 1/2 gallon. Was still very close on my pre-boil gravity (1.046 predicted/1.045 actual = super high mash efficiency?). To account for this excess water, I ended up boiling for 120 minutes, instead of the suggested 90.

- I also had a Mash temperature oopsie. I heated to strike temp and doughed in. My dough-in was probably on the slow side. By the time I finished, my mash temp was at 147.7 (I was shooting for 150). I fired the burner back up and got it to what I thought was 150.5, at which point I cut the heat, wrapped, and walked away. Came back at 20 minutes to check temp and take pH sample and the temp was at 163F (WTF!). I stirred vigorously and added ice cubes to cool back down to 150.5, which took about 25 minutes.

- Ended up at 1.062 OG post-boil. Added my 1056 starter and set the ferm chamber temp to 64. I had very active fermentation by 18 hours. Fermentation was pretty well wrapped up by day 5, so I dry hopped and raised the temp to 70F and let it sit for a week. Cold crashed to 35F on day 12, and bottled on day 15. FG ended up at 1.015 (as predicted). ABV was a bit lower than expected thanks to the low OG. At 6.2% ABV, though, this was still a solid rookie effort.

Results

Even flat and sugary, the beer tasted great at bottling. I just went through 2x 22oz bottles tonight, 13 days post bottling, and it is so good right now. Like I mentioned before, I drink Yellow Rose pretty often, probably on an average of one 4-pack every two weeks, so I know this beer pretty well. My beer is so close that I'm not 100% convinced I could tell which one is the actual thing in a blind test. I may also be very biased! ;)

Pictures

My Beer
aCUEPaa.jpg

Actual Yellow Rose For Reference
uiK2LNq.jpg

Regarding special yeast:

My wife and I bought a 4 pack of yellow rose at total wine this weekend. I noticed that the bottles have a very heavy sediment in the bottom. Anyone thought about/tried to harvest the yeast from the bottle yet?

Regarding special yeast:

My wife and I bought a 4 pack of yellow rose at total wine this weekend. I noticed that the bottles have a very heavy sediment in the bottom. Anyone thought about/tried to harvest the yeast from the bottle yet?

Well I've thought about it, just yesterday in fact! But I hadn't done it (yet) so I'm no help. I do hope to try if I can get ahold of me than one bottle at a time. This stuff is tasty.

Poured a bottle last night. Put starter wort in a bottle with an ounce of Yellow Rose left in the bottle. We'll see if something gets propped up.

Poured a bottle last night. Put starter wort in a bottle with an ounce of Yellow Rose left in the bottle. We'll see if something gets propped up.

I drained the bottle last night and then filled it with more starter wort. This morning I whirled it and the foil was giving off a hissing noise and foaming quite a bit.

Gentlemen, I have a Yellow Rose yeast culture. :)

So I dropped the dregs of a couple(4, but let's just say a good night) bottles into a flask with some starter wort. Everything was going well...

After about a week on the stir plate and two additions of wort, it turned a dark dark color. Do I worry?

What's the big deal about the Yellow Rose yeast? The most wonderful thing about this Mosaic SMaSH is the Mosaic hops shining through. WLP001 or any clean yeast contributes to that end best, IMHO.

What's the big deal about the Yellow Rose yeast? The most wonderful thing about this Mosaic SMaSH is the Mosaic hops shining through. WLP001 or any clean yeast contributes to that end best, IMHO.

it's practically old news these days that yeast impacts hop character dramatically & the combination of esters with hop aroma/flavor can define an IPA. with that in mind, it should be no surprise that people are placing high importance on this.

..fwiw, the pessimist (perhaps realist?) in me thinks that cloning an IPA might be an uphill battle as we will never have access to the quality of hops that pro breweries with contracts have. if so, a single hop IPA might be even that much harder to really dial in.

the appeal to me is more to clone a great beer. not make a SMaSH. Yellow rose is such a smooth drinking ipa that i want it on hand and I can easily judge my brewing ability next to a great "control" element.

Anyone try wyeast 1968 yet? (English ale). My cousin from Houston loves this beer, and my free mosaic cryo hops (AHA giveaway) are burning a hole in my freezer! I'm just looking at pics with a slight haze, seeing some resemblance to my best ever beer to date, a Zombie dust clone, which also uses 1968. If, no, I'll be the guinea pig. Sorry of it's in here and I missed it.

Anyone try wyeast 1968 yet? (English ale). My cousin from Houston loves this beer, and my free mosaic cryo hops (AHA giveaway) are burning a hole in my freezer! I'm just looking at pics with a slight haze, seeing some resemblance to my best ever beer to date, a Zombie dust clone, which also uses 1968. If, no, I'll be the guinea pig. Sorry of it's in here and I missed it.

Haven’t used it but it should work well. I just did another 10 gallon batch of this using cryo for the dry hop and London Ale 3. Super tasty big thing in my opinion is to do a 90 min boil with all Pilsner. Shared this batch for Halloween and game 6 last night. Only 3 gallons left!

Back