Mosaic Pilsen Munich IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
9 Gallon Batch.
3/4# Rice Hulls
19# Pilsner (Weyermann)
2.5# Munich (Dingemans)
Mash @ 152° with PH @ 5.40

Hop Schedule:
90 Min Boil
1 oz Magnum @ 60
3.75 oz Magnum @ 10
3.75 oz Citra @ 5
5 oz Dry Hop for 5 days.
San Diego Super Yeast

I usually brew this as a Pilsen Mosaic SMaSH but I thought I could try to change it slightly. Opinions on this recipe? Would you substitute Vienna for Munich?

Im too lazy to math out IBUs and gravities, but pilsner base is fine and dandy. Munich too. Vienna as well.

Munich will come out a tad maltier than it would with Vienna. Up to you on preference. Both will be good. Color might be the main difference. The Munich one might throw you into that weird brown color of it being too dark for typical golden pales, but not dark enough for an amber or what not.

Sounds bomb but I'd be inclined to dial back the Munich % a little. Might be against your point though since you normally already lean that way

Im too lazy to math out IBUs and gravities, but pilsner base is fine and dandy. Munich too. Vienna as well.

Munich will come out a tad maltier than it would with Vienna. Up to you on preference. Both will be good. Color might be the main difference. The Munich one might throw you into that weird brown color of it being too dark for typical golden pales, but not dark enough for an amber or what not.

1.060 OG / ~70 IBU's / 4.5 SRM according to Beersmith but we all know that it could be off.

I'm leaning on switching to Vienna to keep the color lower and so that the malt doesnt mask the Mosaic hops too much, but I just can't decide. I've been going back and forth all day.

The Munich I use is 10L. You'd need about 20 pounds to make any sort of browness.

What kind are you using to significantly affect the color?

The Munich I use is 10L. You'd need about 20 pounds to make any sort of browness.

What kind are you using to significantly affect the color?

A lot of Munich is 20L. I've made MO/Munich IPAs and throw in a little hop haze and it can turn a pretty murky slight brown color. Not the end of the world, just throwing it out there.

1.060 OG / ~70 IBU's / 4.5 SRM according to Beersmith but we all know that it could be off.

I'm leaning on switching to Vienna to keep the color lower and so that the malt doesnt mask the Mosaic hops too much, but I just can't decide. I've been going back and forth all day.

Why not try both? This time brew it with Munich, next time with Vienna. It's not like we're talking life or death here.

As far as the Beersmith comment: the only reason that the output would be off is if the numbers you input are off. It's a calculator, not a magician. You can't really get mad at a normal calculator for telling you that two plus three is five, but you were hoping for six.

I'd say if you want more Mosaic to come thru, go with Vienna. I also like the idea of mixing both Vienna and Munich into the bill... and I also like the idea of brewing one batch w/ Vienna, and one w/ Munich. It's up to you.

Oh and why rice hulls? I don't see anything in the bill that would indicate the need of rice hulls, unless your milling your malts down to a powder.

Oh and why rice hulls? I don't see anything in the bill that would indicate the need of rice hulls, unless your milling your malts down to a powder.

I had a stuck sparge a while back so I usually just throw 2 handfuls as insurance. Don't think I need it but it doesn't hurt but the memory of that stuck sparge does. I have a big bag of the stuff just lying around.

Latest posts

Back