Mosaic American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
**Updated recipe on post #18, based on feedback throughout the thread.

Wanted to make a hop forward American wheat for the summer. Would love feedback on this:

OG: 1.055
IBU: 37

6.5 lb 2 row
4 lb Pale Wheat malt
1.5 lb crystal 20
.5 lb wheat, flaked

60 min .5 oz Mosaic
30 min .5 oz Mosaic
10 min .5 oz Mosaic
00 min .5 oz Mosaic

Wyeast 1010

Worried it may be a little TOO hoppy for the style.

looks solid - maybe a bit heavy on the crystal. IMHO - might want to maybe take it down 1/2 lb? Otherwise, I want to do what you are doing. It seems that you will have a yummy brew

I was thinking of doing something similar, except, I was going to move the 30, 10 and 00 to dry hop.

I like the idea of taking the crystal down, but I think I'll try it at 1 lb. I want it to be a little darker than a typical wheat so the happiness matches the color, if that makes sense. I may end up throwing 1 oz as a dry hop. I don't need to be strictly Mosaic (I'll change the name) so I was thinking maybe Simcoe for the dry hop. I know Mosaic and Simcoe go well together, so maybe that would add an interesting dimension.

I brew a similar type of wheat, comes out hoppy and fruity similar to a pale ale than a wheat beer. I agree with reducing the crystal down, I have no more than 3% in my recipe and supplement the 2-row with a little Vienna (~5%) to round out the malt flavors without burying the wheat. My hop schedule begins with an addition at 5 minutes and two whirlpool additions for 40 and 20 minutes. I dry hop with an amount equal to the whirlpool additions at high krausen and then again at 3 days before bottling. Calculates out to around 26 IBU using Tinseth, but tastes more like 40+ IBU, with heavy fruit aromas on the nose and flavors at the finish.

I brew a similar type of wheat, comes out hoppy and fruity similar to a pale ale than a wheat beer. I agree with reducing the crystal down, I have no more than 3% in my recipe and supplement the 2-row with a little Vienna (~5%) to round out the malt flavors without burying the wheat. My hop schedule begins with an addition at 5 minutes and two whirlpool additions for 40 and 20 minutes. I dry hop with an amount equal to the whirlpool additions at high krausen and then again at 3 days before bottling. Calculates out to around 26 IBU using Tinseth, but tastes more like 40+ IBU, with heavy fruit aromas on the nose and flavors at the finish.

sounds good. I am going to go with either .5 or 1.0 lbs of the 20. I won't lose many gravity points and it will still be at the high end of the style. I just don't want it to be too out of balance with the IBU. Maybe I'll going with a 30-15-5-0 hop schedule, using the amounts above. I'll still dry hop with with either mosaic or simco (or both?).

Thanks for all the great advice. Heading to the local store this afternoon, so open to a few more suggestions.

Got it. I just did a Northeast IPA that bittered with mosaic and it is really, really good. Of course, that's an IPA, and not a wheat.

Cannot go wrong with Mosaic really - just one of my idiosyncrasies. Hate using Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo etc for bittering for no other reason than I want to save them for later......

Looks like a nice recipe! Were it me, I'd drop the crystal altogether, and make the flaked wheat 1lb and the pale 5lb. An ounce or so for dry hopping would be pretty solid, too! But those are just my personal preferences... this looks like it will turn out just fine as is, too!

Looks like a nice recipe! Were it me, I'd drop the crystal altogether, and make the flaked wheat 1lb and the pale 5lb. An ounce or so for dry hopping would be pretty solid, too! But those are just my personal preferences... this looks like it will turn out just fine as is, too!

I did an American Wheat a few years ago from an Austin Homebrew kit and it had crystal 20 in it and I remember the batch went over very well with people. Not sure if the crystal played a big part in it, but I wanted to keep it in for this next batch.

I'd bitter with a good bittering hop, saving the Mosaic and other flavor/aroma hops for 15' and later additions.

I don't think anyone would know you used Mosaic after it was boiled for 60'. Apollo works well with IPA hops, and there's nothing wrong with using Warrior or Magnum either. I know this is not a intended to be a Wheat IPA, but more like a Wheat Pale Ale. Lately I've been using Eureka for bittering (and flavor/aroma additions) in IPAs, and will surely use it in the Wheat Pale I'm planning with mostly Mandarina Bavaria.

Agreed, reduce the Crystal to 1 pound and raise the flaked wheat content a fair bit. A small dry hop is beneficial to boost hop aroma.

Ok, here's where I'm at:

OG: 1.055
IBU: 28.4

6 lb 2 row
4 lb Pale Wheat malt
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb wheat, flaked
.5 lb crystal 20

60 min .5 oz Simcoe
10 min .5 oz Mosaic
5 min . 5 Mosaic
0 min .5 oz Mosaic
DH 1 oz Mosaic
DH 1 oz Simcoe

Wyeast 1010

I may add a .5 oz mosaic addition at 15 minutes, which will bring the IBU up to about 37.

This was my first batch with my RoboBrew and everything went beautifully. Fermentation has gone well, though I haven't checked numbers yet. I am going to dry hop Thursday (start of week 3) and let it sit just under a week. Then I will rack to the keg and force carb. Looking forward to trying this one. The airlock farts smelled amazing!

Back