Moris Otter Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Was interested in a brown ale recipe in this months BYO and it suggests using Maris Otter english pale malt. I looked on AHS and this listed at $1.49 per lb. It also says this is the best pale malt avaliable. Why is this so much cheaper than all their other malt (per pound) and is it relly better?

Thanks

However, you can get Maris Otter Extract. I've got a 8.75 lb. bag of it in the freezer. williamsbrewing.com carries it.

orfy said:
It's a basic English Pale ale Grain malt.
I use it all the time for my English Style Beers.

Is it worth the extra $$? Can you really tell a difference?

To tell you the truth It's all I use.
There's nothing cheaper around.

I've only done 5 AG batches so far and it give a great flavour for the styles of beer I make. I reckon if you go with a pale malt then you can had darker malts to take the colour up.

It's what a lot of English breweries us so it's readily available around here.
I get it ready crushed at $0.80

I could get it uncrushed for half that price but It's not worth me buying a mill and all the extra hassle for the price of it.

sonvolt said:

I doubt that people could tell the difference- if given a blind sample.

I swap two row, for 6 row, with pils, with pale malt when making light ales and lagers, depending on what I have on hand. Other than a small difference in colour with the pale malt, no one has detected any change in flavour.

If someone is making a beer with speciality malts that will influence the colour and flavour, I'll guarantee that no one will be able to tell the difference.

sonvolt said:

Let me put it this way. It costs exactly the same as any other 2 row carried by my LHBS ($35.00 for 25 Kg) so there is no extra $$.

On the rare occasions when it's not available, I buy a sack of unnamed 2 row, and the results have always been noticeably inferior. Whether this is because Maris Otter in noticeably superior, or because it just suits the way I brew, I don't know.

-a.

Back