MoreBeer Pliny vs. Northern Brew Plinian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puh+line+ee

Actually, Pliny the Elder was pronounced the other way (or so I've been told), even though I also spend plenty of time around the pub and the staff (assuming you do too given your location) and we both know they pronounce it the way you just said.

Since "Plinian Legacy" was not named by anyone at Russian river, I suppose one could pronounce it anyway they choose.

I did the NB one last year. Turned out well enough. I thought it was bitter, but my hop head friends loved it. I did an all grain clone recipe i got on HBT this year and it's fantastic! I don't think I'll ever get it as good as the real thing, but it's close enough for camping!

So, is it Pliny (sounds like 'piney') or Pliny (sounds like 'plenty' without the t) and is it the same for the word Plinian?

Technically, it should be pronounced with a short i sound like 'plenty', but I've found that most people say it like 'piney' and it's easier to just go with the masses than sound pretentious.

I have no idea how Russian River pronounces it, though.

Actually, Pliny the Elder was pronounced the other way (or so I've been told), even though I also spend plenty of time around the pub and the staff (assuming you do too given your location) and we both know they pronounce it the way you just said.

Since "Plinian Legacy" was not named by anyone at Russian river, I suppose one could pronounce it anyway they choose.

Interesting! I always just assumed that the folks at RR were pronouncing it correctly!
But you're right, they would probably give you a very strange look if you ordered a "plinny," even if it IS correct...

Thanks.

My cousin and me have always called it Pliny (like piney). A friend of his, who also brews and has been brewing about two years longer, is always correcting us whenever that beer comes up in discussion.

All of this "correctness" aside, I've never heard ANYONE call the BEER "plin-knee."
In the future, I'll be sure to pronounce his name correctly and continue to pronounce the beer incorrectly. [emoji6]

Great diversion, by the way! To the OP's original question, I've never tried either kit. I'd recommend using RR's actual recipe.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

Edit: oof. Just realized this is already like a double resurrection on this thread and I have nothing new to add. Oh well.

Huh, we must be going to a different "the brewery" then. It's always been "pl-eye-nee" there... Or "puh-line-ee" as I wrote earlier.

Latest posts

Back