Morebeer Pliny The Elder Instructions Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After almost 2 years off from brewing (babies, 2 moves...), and doing all-grain for the last year before that, my dearest gave me this kit for my birthday, and I'm brewing it next week.

Did anyone else do a full boil with this? I'm thinking that starting at 6 gallons, using whole cone hops for at least one of the additions and a 90 minute boil will end up way less than 5 gallons in the fermenter...

I'm thinking I'll try to do a 6.5 gallon boil...

I also think the idea of doing the 90 min hop addition without any extract is weird. It's been a long time since I've thought about brewing, but if I recall, there's something about the interaction of hops and grain that gets the good hop utilization right? So are they just thinking that the steeping grains are enough to get that utilization going?

So I ended up adding water to get back to 28q after adding the 60 min extract (I did all extract at 60). Ended up right around 5g in my carboy (my measurement is not precise).

Everything looks/tastes good so far!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

This brew is next in line for me. Any tips from folks who have brewed the extract version? Reviews of the final product? Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

This will be my third time brewing this recipe from morebeer.com. 1st time using the extract recipe. First 2 times I bought the all grain version. The first time it came out between 90-95% of the bottled Pliny. Second time was a fail. Maybe 60% of Pliny. It's been a year in half since the second Pliny recipe. So I decided to go for it again but with the extract recipe. I am planning to brew this in a week or two after getting back from holiday in Hawaii. Before brewing I have one question for now. Should I do a 2 week or three week fer mention on this? I have another weekend trip planned two weeks after I plan to brew this batch?

Was wondering if anyone else has done a full boil for this. If so did you still add extract late into the boil or all at the 60min mark..any help would be appreciated. Looking to boil this tomorrow.

I'm getting ready to brew this in 3 hours from now. After the initial boil you turn off burner or remove pot from burner then you slowly add the extract so as not to burn it at the bottom of pot. When you first start boiling the water (with your steeping grains and whole hops) you remove the steeping bag when it reaches 170F.

A great day of brewing the elder yesterday. Everything went like clockwork. OG reading at 1.076. In my fermenter tank started to blow off last night before bed. Bottle was 1/4 full this morning at 6. Just changed blow off bottle. Very active. Inside temp between 68-70. Getting excited with this batch.

A great day of brewing the elder yesterday. Everything went like clockwork. OG reading at 1.076. In my fermenter tank started to blow off last night before bed. Bottle was 1/4 full this morning at 6. Just changed blow off bottle. Very active. Inside temp between 68-70. Getting excited with this batch.

Did you do a full or partial boil?

Full. Not sure if I'm going to finish at 5 gal. I started with 7.3 gal at the initial boil. Inside the Carboy topped off at just over 5.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391968378.183848.jpgyesterday in the fermenter.

Full. Not sure if I'm going to finish at 5 gal. I started with 7.3 gal at the initial boil. Inside the Carboy topped off at just over 5.

And just a few other questions. Did you steep the grains in the full 7 gallons or not. Also did you add all the extract at the 60 min mark. Hop bags or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I steeped at beginning ater turn burner on with 7 gallons in pot. Mine reached 170f before 30 minutes up.
After steeping continue boil till 214f or full boil. Remove from burner and slowly stir in malt extract and others that's called for. But you add the 1lb corn sugar at end of entire boil with 20 min left till flameout. Hop bags for sure!!

I steeped at beginning ater turn burner on with 7 gallons in pot. Mine reached 170f before 30 minutes up.
After steeping continue boil till 214f or full boil. Remove from burner and slowly stir in malt extract and others that's called for. But you add the 1lb corn sugar at end of entire boil with 20 min left till flameout. Hop bags for sure!!

Last question sorry. Did you boil the first hop addition by itself for thirty min before adding the extract

With the steeping grains till 170 or 30 min. Then removed all. Some parts were confusing. I called the 800 # once. This being my third elder batch and first with extract.

A bit confused about the directions on this one. It says to add some of the hops to the mash(steeping grains) for 60 minutes, but then says to steep the grains for 30 minutes. Has anyone brewed the extract version that can clarify?

The 30 minute direction is on the generic extract instructions page, while the 60 minute number is from the recipe page for this brew. So I guess I should just steep at 170 degrees for 60 minutes?

Another question... Since it says to boil the extract for 60 minutes but boil the bittering hops for 90 minutes, I should start boiling the hops in the water the grains were steeped in for the first 30 minutes and then add some extract (I'll be adding most toward the end of the boil or at flameout).

How's this all sound?

I just brewed this kit yesterday. A ton of hops! The house smelled awesome during the boil (my wife didn't think so, but what dose she know?). I split the extract additions; added the maltodextrin and half of the liquid at 60 minutes and then the rest of the liquid, the DME and the corn sugar at 15 minutes. Pitched with a 2L starter of WLP001 and it's fermenting aggressively this morning...nothing like waking up to the sound of a bubbling fermenter in your closet! I took a taste of the wort before pitching and it was very good. Sweet, of course, but I can't wait for this one to finish.

A bit confused about the directions on this one. It says to add some of the hops to the mash(steeping grains) for 60 minutes, but then says to steep the grains for 30 minutes. Has anyone brewed the extract version that can clarify?

The 30 minute direction is on the generic extract instructions page, while the 60 minute number is from the recipe page for this brew. So I guess I should just steep at 170 degrees for 60 minutes?

Another question... Since it says to boil the extract for 60 minutes but boil the bittering hops for 90 minutes, I should start boiling the hops in the water the grains were steeped in for the first 30 minutes and then add some extract (I'll be adding most toward the end of the boil or at flameout).

How's this all sound?

I added the leaf hops to the grains and steeped for 30 minutes. Brought it to a boil after removing the grains/hops and then added the first pellet hop addition when it started boiling. Boiled that for 30 minutes and then added some extract (I split the extract and added most of it later, at 15 minutes). After the first extract addition, it's basically a standard 60 minute boil.

Pitched with a 2L starter of WLP001 and it's fermenting aggressively this morning...nothing like waking up to the sound of a bubbling fermenter in your closet!

Did you pitch the whole 2 L starter or just the bottom part?

Did you pitch the whole 2 L starter or just the bottom part?

The whole thing. It brought me to just over 5 gallons even though I used a little less top off water. Also added a little more extract but I'm guessing it won't make much difference.

On another note, I've gotta give some props to MoreBeer. While I was brewing my Pliny kit yesterday I noticed that I was short 1 oz of Columbus hops. Wasn't a huge deal at the time since they were for dry hopping and I had all the hops I needed for the boil. I emailed them this morning and got a response within half an hour and a notification that my missing hops had shipped about an hour after that. Great customer service!

Hey All,

Just wanted to quickly clear up the hops schedule on this recipe. For the steeping / mash hops, you'll want to just add those with the steeping grains or mash for that period of time. You don't steep for an hour, that's generally a 30 minute process, so just add those hops to your grain bag and pull them out when you pull your steeping grains out after 30 minutes. In all grain you'll generally mash for 60 minutes, so I recommend doughing in and then adding the hops to the top of the mash.

For the 90 minute addition, I would just wait to throw the extract in at 60. Just have the 90 minute addition boiling with the steeped water.

It's a delicious kit, but can be a little confusing! If you have any particular questions feel free to give us a call and our customer service team can help make sure you're brewing it properly! 1.800.600.0033

Cheers!

Quick question for those who have brewed the MoreBeer kit: what was your FG? The kit lists the OG as 1.070-1.074, but doesn't list an estimated FG. I took an OG, but not sure it was accurate (possible poor mixing of wort and a lot of hop material in the sample gave me a 1.082). I took a gravity reading a few days ago and was at 1.020. Assuming my OG was actually in the listed range, this would give me a bit over 7% ABV, which is less than the 8% stated on the instructions. Obvious signs of fermentation have stopped, so I'm wondering if I'm done. I have some dry yeast (05) on hand I could toss in there to try and get a few more points out of it. I'll take another gravity reading soon....as soon as I relocate my wine thief which has gone missing since the last sample I took :doh:.

I actually have this kit and will be brewing it tho coming weekend.

According to ibrewmaster, with s05 the predicted FG is 1.014. Give it a few more days before considering a repitch.

Also, what temp did you mash at? A high mash temp would result in more unfermentable sugars and this a higher FG.

I actually have this kit and will be brewing it tho coming weekend.

According to ibrewmaster, with s05 the predicted FG is 1.014. Give it a few more days before considering a repitch.

Also, what temp did you mash at? A high mash temp would result in more unfermentable sugars and this a higher FG.

No mash since I did the extract kit. Initially pitched a starter with WLP001. It fermented very actively for 5 or 6 days before settling down.

If I do end up pitching more yeast, would a whole pack of S05 be overkill, or should I just pitch half a pack?

Quick question for those who have brewed the MoreBeer kit: what was your FG? The kit lists the OG as 1.070-1.074, but doesn't list an estimated FG. I took an OG, but not sure it was accurate (possible poor mixing of wort and a lot of hop material in the sample gave me a 1.082). I took a gravity reading a few days ago and was at 1.020. Assuming my OG was actually in the listed range, this would give me a bit over 7% ABV, which is less than the 8% stated on the instructions. Obvious signs of fermentation have stopped, so I'm wondering if I'm done. I have some dry yeast (05) on hand I could toss in there to try and get a few more points out of it. I'll take another gravity reading soon....as soon as I relocate my wine thief which has gone missing since the last sample I took :doh:.

My OG was 1.071 on 2/8/14
FG was at 1.012 on 2/28/14 when I added the dry hops
Hoping to bottle this Weds, Thurs, or Friday
(I pitched 2 vials of WLP001 originally)

Thanks. I guess I don't really know if I'm stuck since I've only taken one reading. Plan on buying a turkey baster today and getting another reading (5 days after first) to see if things have progressed at all. First gravity reading was 11 days after pitching the yeast.

Based on my measurements, I got an OG of 1.079 and an FG of 1.022.

Actually, I can't guarantee that is the FG because that was the reading I took when adding the dry hops after two weeks in the fermenter.

I'm wondering how to get an apples to apples comparison for my FG after a week of dry hopping. I'm thinking the 5 ounces of dry hops would have to affect the gravity reading, no?

Based on my measurements, I got an OG of 1.079 and an FG of 1.022.

Actually, I can't guarantee that is the FG because that was the reading I took when adding the dry hops after two weeks in the fermenter.

I sent an email to MoreBeer asking about the target FG today and they said 1.012-1.017 but that mine could be done at 1.020. I got my hands on a turkey baster and took another sample this afternoon. Still at 1.020, so I guess I am done. Sample tasted great. Plan on racking onto the dry hops this weekend.

After 2 weeks + 1 day in the the Carboy fermenting (Feb 24) I dry hopped my Pliny. After 4 days of dry hopping I took my first FG at 1.016. OG was 1.076. The aroma and taste was more alcohol strong than taste. So I let it dry hop for two more days. My FG was at 1.014 after two more days. And the taste was sweeter with the less alcohol taste. My ABV ended up at 8.1%. Perfect. Bottled 12 bottles and kegged the rest. In my kegerator and ready to drink. My first taste yesterday was spot on! My best Pliny batch yet.

UPDATE:
After 5 days of dry hopping, I was still at a FG of 1.012 at day 25.
Tried it last night and I thought it was very good. Decided to leave the dry hops in for 2 more days. I will plan on bottling this Friday (Day 27 overall).

Dry hopped mine for 5 days and bottled yesterday. I'm a bit concerned about the potential for bottle bombs. I took three SG readings over the past 10 days. They all read 1.020. I hope it's actually done fermenting and didn't just stall out, otherwise I'm gonna have a big mess in our spare room closet. Regardless, the last sample before bottling yesterday smelled and tasted great. Pretty low yield though thanks to a huge yeast/hop cake.

Steeped for 45 min, added the 1.25 gal steep to 3.5gal water and brought to boil, added the millennium hops to start 90 min, at 60 min added 0.5 lb DME from kit and extra 0.4lb ( to account for extra water for top off to account for hop loss but still hit OG) and about 1-2 lb LME. Then added the 45, 30, and 0 min hops additions. At flame out, added maltodextrin, sugar, and rest of LME. Topped off to 5.5 gal's. OG was 1.072 (1.070-1.074 was target) so hopefully we get a solid 5 gal's in the keg!

Has anyone subbed out the bittering hops in this for hop extract? I am tired of losing wort to hop trub.

I have 30ml of Hop extract in fridge now and the morebeer kit on deck, I wanted to sub out the 2 oz of magnum at 90min and the 45min addition of simcoe for hop extract.

There is this recipe.... http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/08/pliny-elder-clone-30.html which calls for 25ml at 90mins and 5ml at 45mins but I figure the drop hopping of the cascade would change that a good bit, so maybe 15 or 20mls at 90mins and keep the 5ml at 45mins.

Ok, Brew day went ok but made a few mistakes. Still had a OG of 1.74. Pitched with two vials of 001 yeast. Kept in primary for close to three weeks and put into secondary. Added the dry hops for about 7 days. When I went to bottle I saw large white clumps floating in beer and by the hop bags. I syphoned into bucket and clumps sort of just seemed to cloud a little bit while sphoning. Has anyone had these white clumps. Some large and settled to bottom. Looks like the bottles have a good amount of sediment more so than I am used to. Any info would be helpful. Hoping the beer isn't infected as it smelled awesome!!

Thanks

JJ

Anyone done this recipe with full boil? The morebeer instructions are basically the same for partial and full boils, but the hop utilization with a full boil is going significantly higher, like double that of partial boil. I don't want to end up with an overly bitter brew.

Kegged this day before yesterday...if it tastes as good as it smelled, it will likely be best beer to date!! Got 5 gallons in the keg due to using extra 0.7 lb DME to allow extra topping off of water to about 5.75 gallons in fermenter to combat the hop loss. Also bagged hops entire way (hop spider during boil, and dry hopped in 1 gal paint strainer bag) along with cold crashed 48hrs which all helped in the end. Had her at 30psi for 36hrs, then dropped back to 12. Can't wait to test it this afternoon!

Back