Morebeer kettles? Opinions on other brands? Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbaddad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Pretty new to brewing, 12 batches under our belts (9 extract, 3 ag). We are looking to bump up to 10 gallon batches and are looking for a 15 gallon kettle with ball valve.

What are you using?

Saw that morebeer has a 15 gallon for $239 plus free shipping this month. Anyone have any experience with this? Any other suggestions?

Please give me some feedback. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barin

I use a 20 gallon Blichmann Kettle and love it. I know Blichmann stuff is a little more expensive but I went with them because they had the sight glass, thermometer, and valve included. You can add the rest of this to the Morebeer kettles but it ends up costing about the same amount.

I went with 20 gallons so I could boil a 10 gallon batch without having to worry about boil overs. I used a converted keggle at first but when I would start with the 13.5-14 gallons for a 10 gallon batch I would always be fighting boil overs at the beginning of my boil even with a anti-foaming agent. I have not had a boil over yet with the 20 gallon kettles in the 5 batches I have done so far. (Morebeer only has 15 or 26 gallon kettles)

That being said, I'm sure the Morebeer 15 gallon kettle would work great.

Thanks. Yeah, the Blichmann stuff looks fantastic. Good points on the 15 gal vs 20.

Anyone else?

Check out the Penrose kettle from Brewhemoth -they are awesome.
http://brewhemoth.com/penrose-kettle

As I understand it they do build-to-order so expect some lag time between ordering and delivery, but if you want them to customize it with additional fittings just ask.

Hey guys,

Pretty new to brewing, 12 batches under our belts (9 extract, 3 ag). We are looking to bump up to 10 gallon batches and are looking for a 15 gallon kettle with ball valve.

What are you using?

Saw that morebeer has a 15 gallon for $239 plus free shipping this month. Anyone have any experience with this? Any other suggestions?

Please give me some feedback. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barin

I've got the MB kettles with my sculpture with no issues. They do the job and are made very well

rmullins said:
I've got the MB kettles with my sculpture with no issues. They do the job and are made very well

+1 I started out with the 8gal w/ball valve and thermometer. It has always worked great. Can't decide if I want to sell it, or drill a hole for an element and use it for small batches. The sandwiched bottom is nice for distributing heat from a propane burner. Also the coupler they weld on to these is male on the outside, and female on the inside, and welded flush with the sides. This makes it easy to whirlpool, and no need for a nipple to connect a ball valve.

Thanks slurm and rmullins.

Spurn: those penrose kettles look pretty good. Do you have one? Only think that gave me pause was the ball valve looks like the handle is made of plastic.

rmullins: how is your boil off rate with the morebeer kettle?

Thanks guys,

Barin

bighand said:
I use a 20 gallon Blichmann Kettle and love it. I know Blichmann stuff is a little more expensive but I went with them because they had the sight glass, thermometer, and valve included. You can add the rest of this to the Morebeer kettles but it ends up costing about the same amount.

I went with 20 gallons so I could boil a 10 gallon batch without having to worry about boil overs. I used a converted keggle at first but when I would start with the 13.5-14 gallons for a 10 gallon batch I would always be fighting boil overs at the beginning of my boil even with a anti-foaming agent. I have not had a boil over yet with the 20 gallon kettles in the 5 batches I have done so far. (Morebeer only has 15 or 26 gallon kettles)

That being said, I'm sure the Morebeer 15 gallon kettle would work great.

Where did you pick up your Blichmann? I am thinking of going that way.

I have a 15 gallon MoreBeer. It is essentially the same kettle as the megapot in case you were wondering. The diameter/height ratio is a bit large compared to other kettles, e.g. the Blichmann. So they boil off a lot faster in my experience.

I am not sure I can give you a particular rate in gallons/hour, even though I feel like I ought to have that number nailed down by now, it's still a bit off.

For a one hour boil with 5-8 gallon batches, I use 9% evaporation rate in Beersmith and that seems to work ok, but for longer boils or larger batches, it doesn't match up quite right.

Thanks. Yeah, I am just trying to do as much research before I make the plunge. I know that they will all end up working fine. I am just waffling between an extra hundred or so bucks on a Blichmann or trying to save some dough for quality ingredients.

Appreciate the input.

Barin

Cbaddad said:
Thanks. Yeah, I am just trying to do as much research before I make the plunge. I know that they will all end up working fine. I am just waffling between an extra hundred or so bucks on a Blichmann or trying to save some dough for quality ingredients.

Appreciate the input.

Barin

I have a 15Gal Blichmann and I think if you can afford it and aren't put off by the cost, it's the best way to go. As mentioned, once you put all the included extras into a cheaper pot, the difference in price is tiny. And there is not a sightglass on the market that can compete with the quality and longevity of Blichmann's.

Also, their false bottoms are widely regarded as completely unmatched, and are only really compatible with their pots. Used for as mash tun, some people have exceeded 95% efficiency, which is absolutely incredible. You may not want a FB right now (for a kettle, the hop blocker is better), but it's still really nice to have the option of the Blichmann one down the road without having to pay for an extra pot.

Jaybird said:
I like the NCBS kettles myself...***giggle*** 18.75 gallon for 180 something
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Brewing_Equipment.html

You asked......:)

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay,

Didn't even know about you guys. Those look good. I'll be presenting what I find to my mini-brew club so it is great to have a bunch of different options. That whirlpool attachment is a nice idea. Any other vendors want to throw their hat into the ring?

Thanks,
Barin

Check out the Penrose kettle from Brewhemoth -they are awesome.
http://brewhemoth.com/penrose-kettle

As I understand it they do build-to-order so expect some lag time between ordering and delivery, but if you want them to customize it with additional fittings just ask.

One of the articles in their "headlines" section that says that their previous kettle buyers suggested they raise the price, so they did.

What happened to homebrewers looking out for each other?

Yeah, I though that was an interesting way to pass on a price increase: "Our customers said we should be charging more."

Um, I don't think they meant raise the price. They were just saying you have a quality product for the price.

Pretty funny though.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

It seems to me that some of these other kettles have larger diameters and have potential to boil off more.

Back