More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking forward to seeing pics from your first brew day! I hope your first brew is a winner! We are brewing our Cream Ale, tomorrow.

Mike

I am looking forward to seeing pics from your first brew day! I hope your first brew is a winner! We are brewing our Cream Ale, tomorrow.

Mike

Please share some pics here! I hope it all goes great! I am up late planing for my brew day that I hope will go well!

:tank:

-Altrez

My fermenting chamber temperature controller is installed and I am logging the temp at 1 minute intervals.

-Altrez

temp.jpg

That looks like a really nice starter brew pot. However, you need to be concerned about boil-overs. Keep in mind, at some point, you might want to go to 3 gallon brews, and this pot may not be able to handle them. So... Why not invest, now, in a 20 gallon pot? Unless... You are considering going up to 5 gallon batches. In that case, go much larger with the brew pot.

Mike:mug:

I get the impression Mike might be trolling a little bit because if you can't make a 5 gallon batch with a 8 gallon pot, you're not paying attention.

... And if you can't pay attention, you need to get a bottle of ferm-cap ;)

I get the impression Mike might be trolling a little bit because if you can't make a 5 gallon batch with a 8 gallon pot, you're not paying attention.

He has some valid points. If I plan to move up in brew sizes it might be wise to go ahead and get a custom made Brew Pot that is computer controlled and brews the beer for me.

The next step after that would be to build a bunch of robots to do everything so I do not even have to get out of my chair. Or I could just have SWMBO go grab me a growler from the beer store and call it done :)

-Altrez

To be honest, I was doing a bit of teasing, given the overall nature of this thread. I meant it in a "tongue in cheek" way.

Mike

:mug:

To be honest, I was doing a bit of teasing, given the overall nature of this thread. I meant it in a "tongue in cheek" way.

Mike

Overall nature of this thread for me at least is a 100% serious. There is a lot of things that go into making Beer way more then I knew. I have learned so much with the help of this forum!

-Altrez

I just ordered the Bayou Classic Stainless Brew Kettle, 40 quart, for my first brew to see how that works.

Closing in on everything needed for my first brew day!

-Altrez

Hello All,

Update:

Just ordered another kit from NB Plinian Legacy plus a Zombie Dust clone. That puts me around 7 gallons on my first run.

I am going to brew the Mr. Beer kits on day 1. The Dead Ringer and Zombie Dirt on day 2 and then the Plinian on day 3.

The idea behind this is that I will have 5 different fermentation rigs going that have been spaced apart over three days to help avoid any possible contamination.

I have to use another mini fridge for a fermentation chamber and buy another temperature controller but that is pretty much it.

-Altrez

Hello All,

Update:

Just ordered another kit from NB Plinian Legacy plus a Zombie Dust clone. That puts me around 7 gallons on my first run.

I am going to brew the Mr. Beer kits on day 1. The Dead Ringer and Zombie Dirt on day 2 and then the Plinian on day 3.
-Altrez
I said I was out because your OD is off the charts but I will give another thing to worry about.

Water. If you are chasing highly hopped IPA's you might be disappointed if you do not get your water chemistry right. Not as important on redneck Pale ales, dark bitters, American brown ales, etc. but on these very complex hop-forward beers...it can make a significant effect on the flavor.

I said I was out because your OD is off the charts but I will give another thing to worry about.

Water. If you are chasing highly hopped IPA's you might be disappointed if you do not get your water chemistry right. Not as important on redneck Pale ales, dark bitters, American brown ales, etc. but on these very complex hop-forward beers...it can make a significant effect on the flavor.

Thank you for the help! I am working on that issue right now. I am on Lowes right now looking for a reverse osmosis system. I have $300 worth of water testing gear on hand and I have a lab at work that I can take all my samples to for testing.

:mug: :tank: :mug:

-Altrez

lol, this guy is never going to make beer if you keep that up. ;)

lol, this guy is never going to make beer if you keep that up. ;)

That is not true :) If I can't handle it I will just pay someone to come over here and brew for me while I micro manage!!!

:rockin:

-Altrez

Hello All,

Update:

The idea behind this is that I will have 5 different fermentation rigs going that have been spaced apart over three days to help avoid any possible contamination.

I have to use another mini fridge for a fermentation chamber and buy another temperature controller but that is pretty much it.

-Altrez

That's quite an ambitious schedule, for your first brewing experience. But hey, to each their own. I know I did a double brew day with extract once, and it wasn't fun, for me at least. I'd at least get the first one out of the way solo to find out what works and what doesn't. No matter how good it sounds on paper, things probably wont go how you think they will. For me the brewing is easy, it's the prep work and clean up that sucks.

Oh damn I just figured this out after searching what a water profile is. You posted this just to fu#@ with me and I know it!

:smack:

-Altrez

Wtf is a redneck pale ale?, ....and where can I get some?:)

Overall nature of this thread for me at least is a 100% serious. There is a lot of things that go into making Beer way more then I knew. I have learned so much with the help of this forum!

-Altrez

Altrez,

Don't take it the wrong way. I just want because you have been going overboard, and many have been suspecting the veracity of the thread. S, I simply tried to inject some humor into the thread. Guess I failed! Haha!

I'll go back to brewing beer!

Mike

That's quite an ambitious schedule, for your first brewing experience. But hey, to each their own. I know I did a double brew day with extract once, and it wasn't fun, for me at least. I'd at least get the first one out of the way solo to find out what works and what doesn't. No matter how good it sounds on paper, things probably wont go how you think they will. For me the brewing is easy, it's the prep work and clean up that sucks.

I did a double all grain brew day once. But, I had been brewing for many years at that point. UGH! It was a long day!

Mike

We only make that in Kentucky!

-Altrez

You live in Kentucky? I don't live in Kentucky, but I am from Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky, actually. One of my favorite brews is my Kentucky Common Beer. I have yet to meet anybody, who has sampled it, who doesn't like it!

Mike

Altrez,

Don't take it the wrong way. I just want because you have been going overboard, and many have been suspecting the veracity of the thread. S, I simply tried to inject some humor into the thread. Guess I failed! Haha!

I'll go back to brewing beer!

Mike

You are fine! I know I am going a bit overboard but I love beer and all this is just amazing! Please feel free to keep posting here :)

-Altrez

You live in Kentucky? I don't live in Kentucky, but I am from Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky, actually. One of my favorite brews is my Kentucky Common Beer. I have yet to meet anybody, who has sampled it, who doesn't like it!

Mike

I am in Owensboro KY right now and from a small little town named Madisonville!

I have not tried KCB.

-Altrez

I am in Owensboro KY right now and from a small little town named Madisonville!

I have not tried KCB.

-Altrez

I know Madisonville. I once interviewed for a job at the Medical Center there. I ended up going to New England, instead.
Also have been to Owensboro. Which is quite different from Owensville!
I am from Ashland, Kentucky.

Mike

Wtf is a redneck pale ale?, ....and where can I get some?:)

I did not trademark the term but it is simple...It is a pale ale without a permanent recipe...just some parameters:

28-30 IBU's
12 SRM'ish
OG about 1.050

I make it with whatever is on hand and sounds like it will taste good. When I was in Oklahoma it was usually 50/50 Munich and two row plus a dash of C90 then bittering with whatever and Saaz for flavor and aroma (I used to order 5#'s a year when they were stupid cheap). Yeast was whatever I had as a cake from the last beer I made...often Nottingham.

Nowadays it has evolved into something more standardized now that ingredients are more readily available and since I discovered rye!

I did a double all grain brew day once. But, I had been brewing for many years at that point. UGH! It was a long day!

I've done them from time to time. If you prepare right, you can work it out such that it only adds a couple of hours to a regular brew day. Mill all the grains the night before and have the hops already weighed out. You don't have to really "clean" the mash tun and boil kettle between batches - just a good rinse is adequate. Also, it really helps to have a second burner and propane tank (assuming you brew with gas), since you can be heating the strike water for batch #2 at the same time you're heating the first runnings from batch #1. Then you mash #2 while boiling #1. By the time you're finished with batch #1, you're already done the mash for batch #2.

I've done them from time to time. If you prepare right, you can work it out such that it only adds a couple of hours to a regular brew day. Mill all the grains the night before and have the hops already weighed out. You don't have to really "clean" the mash tun and boil kettle between batches - just a good rinse is adequate. Also, it really helps to have a second burner and propane tank (assuming you brew with gas), since you can be heating the strike water for batch #2 at the same time you're heating the first runnings from batch #1. Then you mash #2 while boiling #1. By the time you're finished with batch #1, you're already done the mash for batch #2.

When I was young and foolish with a three-tier rig I would do tripple 11 gallon brew days as soon as weather turned cool enough to not need temp control in Oklahoma. Each additional session added about 75 minutes.

By the end of the day I was exhausted but as mentioned, you don't really have to clean anything in between...you just muck it out and give it a rinse so it is much more efficient time wise. I would normally light off the the HLT (prefilled the night before) while brewing morning coffee and be to strike temp by the time the grains were ground (hand crank mill). Dough in then top off the HLT to heat for sparge and the next batch of strike-temp water. Whilst fly sparging, the boil kettle would be at 3/4% burner output so that boil would commence by the time you had mucked out the mash tun and add cold water to the remaining sparge water to get down to strike temp...and so on and so forth.

75 minutes per brew was because of a one hour mash and 15 minutes cleaning between each dough in.

Hello,

I have been logging the temperature on my new fermentation chamber for about 5 days to see how well it works. I have the Temp controller set at 65 degrees with a 2 degree differential. I am using a ICT-308 as the controller.

It looks like everything is working well and that puts me one step closer to brew day!

-Altrez

TempC.jpg

Nice! I don't log my temps but I use a remote fridge/freezer thermometer that monitors temps for me. I see about the same temp changes. 63 lowest 66 highest, 5 minute compressor lockout(keeps the compressor from trying to stop/start to fast and burn up the motor) just in case. Readout sits on my desk, I have probes in both freezers, my freezer to fridge conversion(runs off solar so need max efficiency), and the fermenting fridge! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYIEDOI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I don't log my temps but I use a remote fridge/freezer thermometer that monitors temps for me. I see about the same temp changes. 63 lowest 66 highest, 5 minute compressor lockout(keeps the compressor from trying to stop/start to fast and burn up the motor) just in case. Readout sits on my desk, I have probes in both freezers, my freezer to fridge conversion(runs off solar so need max efficiency), and the fermenting fridge! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYIEDOI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hello,

Thank you for posting that link! I might look into a set for myself!

:ban:

-Altrez

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking the advice of a few people I decided to get an electric stove for my brew day. It boils water fast!

-Altrez

stove.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back