More than one item to secondary? Anyone ever used pineapple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Anyone ever used pineapple in their beer? I'm thinking of adding pineapple to the secondary for my american pale ale, but I'm looking for tips on how to go about it if it's even possible.

Also, would it be ridiculous to dry-hop at the same time?

Maybe split the beer into two separate secondary vessels. One with pineapple and the other with the hops. This way you won't mess up everything if it does not turn out and yet you'll see exactly what pineapple does. I'm not a fan so it does not sound great, but to each...

B

That's not a bad idea...is it generally not common to use multiple ingredients in one secondary? In this case, pineapple and hops?

I have not tried Pineapple, but at my LHBS, another guy brought in an amazing Mango IPA. IIRC, he dried a bunch of mango pieces, and ended up putting in 2 or 3 pounds of dried mangoes into the secondary. In combination with the "C" hops, it had a wonderful flavor and nice bitterness.

For what it's worth.

Great info, I've been wanting to make a mango IPA for a while now but could not find any info on anyone who had tried it.

B

just going to go out on a limb and say contamination. fresh fruit has all sorts of crap on it. dried is the best way to kill the stuff that will ruin your beer without ruining the fruit

I've been thinking about a Papaya Double IPA. I had some amazing Papaya in Hawaii and I thought the flavor of hops and the fruit would sit perfectly together

He told me that he bought a ton of them on sale, ended up not eating them, and drying them. According to him, he said that it was a whim.

Back