More maple ?'s Have you succeeded in making a maple beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed an oatmeal stout and used maple syrup for priming sugar (which I boiled in distilled water before adding to the bottling bucket). At first, you couldn't taste any maple at all, due to the dark chocolate & roasted notes. But after maybe 6 months, the maple started really shining as the darker malt flavors mellowed.

When I brew this beer again, I'll probably use maple extract, as that seems to be the way many people go. But I must say, with a bit of patience, the real thing was quite tasty.

I make a French Toast ale. I tried the usual method boil, secondary etc. I now use an extract(maple) from Beanilla at the bottling point. Just pour a little at a time and taste test. 1 4oz bottle made almost 3- 5 gallon batches. Stuff is strong.

Yes i did a half of bottle and ruined the beer.

Check out "Imperial Maple Pecan Brown" on Brewsmith Cloud. Cheapest Maple Syrup (dark) you can get added near end of boil. This beer has done very well in a couple regional competitions.

Has anyone used the fake maple syrup from the cereal isle, isn't it just sugar + maple flavoring? The sugar would ferment out and just leave the maple flavor right?

Has anyone used the fake maple syrup from the cereal isle, isn't it just sugar + maple flavoring? The sugar would ferment out and just leave the maple flavor right?

You mean like Aunt Jemima? Yea, that corn syrup would ferment right out, at any point during the brewing/fermenting process that you added it.

I did just brew another Maple Oatmeal stout, & this time I used Grade A maple syrup in secondary as well as for bottle conditioning. I added a pound 4-5 days into fermentation (after Krausen subsided), & the taste at bottling was AMAZING. Tons of maple flavor & a thick mouthfeel. I almost feel like I added too much! The bottles should be ready to drink this weekend, or halfway through next week. If people are interested, I'll post a review. :mug:

I use the maple flavoring that iHerb sells (I'm in Taiwan, so I have to look for good options for shipping). 1 bottle just did an 8 gallon batch of bourbon french toast porter perfectly (I think it was about 2oz). Added 5 vanilla beans' worth of seeds extracted into bourbon, and cinnamon/nutmeg extracted into bourbon. I also threw 200ml of bourbon into the boil. Tastes decadently delicious, kinda reminds me of waffle crisp. Surprisingly the bourbon comes through so little, that if I didn't know it was there, I probably would just chalk the bourbon flavor to good vanilla. After these experiences, I'd be interested to get b-grade syrup to see the difference it makes (but I won't be in a rush since the extract did so well).

I use the maple flavoring that iHerb sells (I'm in Taiwan, so I have to look for good options for shipping). 1 bottle just did an 8 gallon batch of bourbon french toast porter perfectly (I think it was about 2oz). Added 5 vanilla beans' worth of seeds extracted into bourbon, and cinnamon/nutmeg extracted into bourbon. I also threw 200ml of bourbon into the boil. Tastes decadently delicious, kinda reminds me of waffle crisp. Surprisingly the bourbon comes through so little, that if I didn't know it was there, I probably would just chalk the bourbon flavor to good vanilla. After these experiences, I'd be interested to get b-grade syrup to see the difference it makes (but I won't be in a rush since the extract did so well).

that sounds super tasty!!! But I would use Grade A syrup, as it's darker. From what I've read, it'll taste stronger/better in a beer than Grade B.

Back