More hop advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoggyafc

Reaction score
Hi Chaps (and Chappettes)

I've got a few bits and pieces left over from recipes so I thought I'd bash out a beer using the left over hops I've got.

I'm going to do an 11 litre batch and I'm going to use 2.25KG Pale malt and 112g of Carapils.

I've got the following hops: Bobek, WGV, Summer and Challenger hops.

Can anyone suggest hop quantities and addition times to make a tasty brew?

Cheers guys

Yes, you choose the IBU you want, add 50% hops for the whole boil! then the remaining hops 25% and 25% one lot at half boil the rest at three quarter boil. Choose the ones you want for aroma and add them last.

I guess it depends on how much you have of each hop variety, and as fartinmartin pointed out what you want your IBUs to be.

Do you currently use any brewing calculators? I personally like to use the Beer Recipator " http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator ".

Currently i'm putting together a low IBU IPA, which receives most of its IBUs from hop additions during the last 20 min of the boil. I got the idea from a BeerSmith podcast with Mitch Steele.

So figure out what kind of beer you want to make and go nuts.

Thanks for the help.

I'm really not sure about IBUs but have a look at this and see what you think...

Grain Bill
----------------
2.248 kg Pale Malt (95.25%)
0.112 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (4.75%)

Hop Bill
----------------
24.0 g Summer (Aus) Leaf (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.2 g/L)
12.0 g Bobek (Styrian Goldings) Leaf (3.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
12.0 g Bobek (Styrian Goldings) Leaf (3.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
7.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Wow, that is a small grain bill.

I'm used to working in lbs, but it looks like you are using about 5.2 lbs of grain. I am used to having about 10-17 lbs of grain in my mash tun for a 5 gallon batch. Is this in addition to malt extract, or am I missing something?

Are you aiming for a pale ale or an IPA with this guy?

Also, have you considered adding in about 10% of crystal malt? Maybe crystal 60 if you want to keep it on the light side?

As for your hop profile, that's fine. More or less the 60 min addition will be bittering hops and you won’t notice too much impact other than what they will do to your IUBs. Sliding you flavor and aroma hop hops further or closer to the end of your boil will do the most for affecting the non-bitter hop characteristics of your beer.

You missed that it's only an 11 liter batch.

Looks like you'll have yourself a decent pale ale there. About 40-45 IBUs from what I can tell.

Thanks for taking a look, Guys.

Would you think that they're good enough hops to use (considering the ones I've got)?

I agree with Thesemicullen, I make it about 44 IBU, they are the hops you have ( I dont know them or their condition ) so why not use them.
Happy brewin !

Its pretty easy to make a good beer out of odds and ends so long as your process is solid.

I am also not familiar with those varieties. I wonder how the bobek differs from other styrian varieties?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Hello Guys

I'm just thinking about this recipe again. I've also got a heap of elderflower, would it be worth adding that in too? If so, when would be best to add it in the boil?

Thanks for all the help.

Back