More clear beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I am just finding in up my second ale and it is cloudy.
My first beer, a pale ale I didn't use whirlfloc or moss.
My second ale I used whirlfloc at 10 min before flameout.
I even tried cold crash.
I know the color is due to the LME added to early.
What causes the cloudiness and haze?
And how do I get rid of it in my next batch?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426854870.044111.jpg

Even though your beer is formulated with LME and DME, it could still be a wheat beer. Would need the type of extract used.
Have you crash cooled the beer in the fermentor? This could also be chill haze, which will dissipate with bottle conditioning.

A fast hotbreak will help. When it's just starting to boil keep as much heat as you can without a boil over.

I found when I was doing extract (which wasn't but a couple weeks ago) I used a smaller pot and I would have to let off of the heat sometimes. Now I do BIAB and the pot is big enough to just keep the cranked heat without a boil over. Maybe that'll help make a clearer beer? I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I also found that the longer the beer sits in the keg that the clearer the beer gets.

How long has it been fermenting. It just may take some more time.

Also you are looking through a large mass of liquid. It will look a lot lighter and more clear in a glass.

Other than that, unless you are entering a brew in a contest, and the beer tastes good, why worry if it is a little cloudy?

A good hot break helps. So does a good cold break when chilling the wort. I also use half a Whirlfloc tablet 10 or 15 minutes from the end of the boil. A high flocculation yeast also helps.

Some yeasts don't flocculate as well as others.

Having a good amount of Calcium will help clarity.

Adding Irish Moss or Whirlfloc tabs haven't proven to be really effective in my experience.

Cold crashing helps speed the process, though.

Back