More Alcohol please!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msleeve_ak

Reaction score
Ok,

I am not sure that i want more alcohol in my beer, but if i do. Is it just adding more sugar? or is it more complecated than that.

thanks

msleeve_ak said:
Ok,

I am not sure that i want more alcohol in my beer, but if i do. Is it just adding more sugar? or is it more complecated than that.

thanks
this is exactly it. i sometimes make 10 gallon batches with 12 lbs of extract, sometimes 15, and sometimes 18, depending on how strong i want to make it. you can also add candy sugar to make it stronger. fruit puree also makes the brew stronger. any type of sugar will work, but those are my favorite ways to make a beer stronger.

Adding sugar or malt extract to the boil shouldn't really add sweetness, since it will be broken down into alcohol during fermentation.

Be careful what you wish for, though....you might want to steep some extra grain or modify your hop routine for it, or the alcohol is likely to overpower everything else. I learned this the hard way. I added an extra two pounds of extract to a porter recipe without modifying anything else. The stuff tastes like booze.

Sam

What about the yeast, how much is too much. will more yeast break down more of the sugar or do i have this all wrong!

msleeve_ak said:
What about the yeast, how much is too much. will more yeast break down more of the sugar or do i have this all wrong!

No. When you pitch yeast, it will continue to multiply until the environment can't support it anymore. That's why you end up with a yeast cake at the end that is several times the volume of the original amount pitched. Pitching more will just give you a faster start - that is why many people use a yeast starter.

That being said, you can buy yeast that has a higher tolerance of alcohol, therefore continues to ferment to a higher alcohol content. Champaign yeast will yield a much higher alcohol content, but will also change the characteristics of the beer. But, there has to be the sugar there for it to ferment. Once all of the sugar is used up by the yeast, you're not getting any more alcohol, no matter how much or what kind of yeast you use.

Kephren said:
No. When you pitch yeast, it will continue to multiply until the environment can't support it anymore. That's why you end up with a yeast cake at the end that is several times the volume of the original amount pitched. Pitching more will just give you a faster start - that is why many people use a yeast starter.

That being said, you can buy yeast that has a higher tolerance of alcohol, therefore continues to ferment to a higher alcohol content. Champaign yeast will yield a much higher alcohol content, but will also change the characteristics of the beer. But, there has to be the sugar there for it to ferment. Once all of the sugar is used up by the yeast, you're not getting any more alcohol, no matter how much or what kind of yeast you use.

Thanks, i always appreciate the help.

Back