Moochers, what do you do about them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klfiend

Reaction score
I love brewing, and love sharing my craft with my friends however I have run into a problem. People are always asking to come over for a beer or whatever which is fine, but there is no return of funds/help on brewdays. I have brought up the topic of donations, not mandatory of course but no one is contributing. I would just cut everyone off but then I would be drinking homebrew by myself or occasionally with my SWMBO. Any of you guys have ideas/similar experiences to share?

It's part of the deal since you brew.

Put up a tip jar, or invite people for a few beers and tell them when they get there it's brew day!

B

I would never expect my guests to pay for what I serve them at my home. However if you are talking about 12-15 people over several times a week and drinking heavily then I expect them to chip in or bring their own drink of choice. Those days are over for me though.

Oh, and to answer your question if it bothers you tell them and if they disagree tell them you decided to take a break from drinking and don't invite them back as often. Not saying stop being friends but stop being the host all the time.

Just ask them to stop by the specialty beer selection and pick you up a couple of good beers to bring next time.

I would never expect my guests to pay for what I serve them at my home. However if you are talking about 12-15 people over several times a week and drinking heavily then I expect them to chip in or bring their own drink of choice. Those days are over for me though.

+1 If people are just coming by once a month or so and tossing a few back it's unreasonable to expect them to pay you. When I'm at a friends place and I have a few beers it never occurs to me to pay for them, even though it's homebrew and there's a TLC factor involved I feel the same rules apply.

If on the other hand you've got a crew of regulars that are really working their way through your stash then you need to have a real come to Jesus type talk with them. If you're uncomfortable asking them for money then you can either ask them to bring over a sixer of micros "since I'm running low on homebrew" or ask them to "bring over some food and I'll cover the beer." Short of that you need to start entertaining less.

Build a bigger rig...I'm at 1bb

If you need the cash try asking the big offenders to pick up some ingredients for you and then not pay for it.

Other idea is to make a brew that they dont like or make a special (off flavor brew) My Dad always drank a beer called Old German it was terrible but he said at a party no one ever drank his beer....That is unless everyone was out!!!

Bottom line is you brew because you like to and its a complement to your brewing skills that your friends like your beer.

In casual conversation explain the costs associated with brewing and work in something you need and wish you could justify purchasing like another fermenter or keg or sack of grain etc. Worked for me.

It shows you that "friends" is a term that does not carry much weight. A good friend would help out, pay up or reciprocate in some other way like buying you dinner sometimes or bringing some pizza with them. I can't recall ever inviting myself over to someones house for any reason, that's odd IMO.

Get rid of the freeloaders.

Build a bigger rig...I'm at 1bb

If you need the cash try asking the big offenders to pick up some ingredients for you and then not pay for it.

Other idea is to make a brew that they dont like or make a special (off flavor brew) My Dad always drank a beer called Old German it was terrible but he said at a party no one ever drank his beer....That is unless everyone was out!!!

Bottom line is you brew because you like to and its a complement to your brewing skills that your friends like your beer.

That is funny. In the old days when 12 or so of us or more would get together every weekend (Friday-Saturday night regularly) I used to hide a few beers in the crisper drawer and it was not even at my house. Things got so bad with people drinking my beer when theirs ran out I used to buy a 12 pack to take in and another to keep in the car if we ran out. Problem was instead of making a trip to the store for more beer they would just drink yours and later the stores would all be closed.

There is a difference between being a good host and being a door mat. I would explain that the HB costs you around 1 dollar each and they take 6 weeks to make. Also explain that you like them and want to continue to have a nice "party experience" but that you can not afford to continue the way it is going.

If the tip jar remains empty and they are unwilling to help out I would cap a 12 pack of fresh outside air and serve them that!!! You can explain that is the best beer you can make with the funds they supplied...

When I'm at a friends place and I have a few beers it never occurs to me to pay for them, even though it's homebrew and there's a TLC factor involved I feel the same rules apply.

Interesting, my friends and I all have an implied BYOB policy.

Brew more beer. If I didn't have friends come over to help me out (frequently), it would take way too long to get the new kegs into the kegerators. And I have 4 taps.

My brewing outpaces my drinking, since I drink a lot of commercial stuff.

In general though, if I invite you to my home you can have whatever you want not including my wife. That's hospitality and I don't have things for myself that I am unwilling to share with people I care enough about to invite them over.

If you, unlike me, don't always have excess beer than I can understand the problem. I think increasing batch size is the most sensible answer.

Some people don't have the available funds, or extra time, to constantly brew beer for their friends to guzzle. If that's the case, then I don't see why it's wrong to ask if they can buy some ingredients, and/or help out by bringing over some commercial beer, or helping brew some batches.

The trick is asking without insulting them. Maybe stick a note on the kegerator that lists the ingredients and their cost for each batch and keep a running total. Even if your friends pitched in with some $$ to help offset the brewing costs, they are getting a great deal on some quality beer.

But if they bring over some Natty Ice, tell then to get bent.

With friends like them who needs friends!

I have a friend group that always brings beer. I had a party on Saturday and finished with more beer than I started with!

I'm also a bit of a miser with my homebrews, but that's because I don't have a whole lot of it yet. Now that I've got 9 cases in there getting ready to drink, I'll be a bit more willing to share.

The marginal cost to produce homebrew is less than commercial beer, right (well I don't think so but most people seem to think so)?

I assume that most of us accept food and beverages when we visit friends and family. Do you pay for that? I don't.

If you run in circles where it is customary to recompense for hospitality, fine, but if that were the case you wouldn't have to ask for money from you friends when they come over, right?

Asking your guests for money is awkward for a reason.

A friend would not hesitate to help out if they knew that their consumption was a real inconvenience. I don't think we are talking about the occasional stop by and have a visit here. Sounds like the OP is having multiple friends, regularly stopping by to drink free beer.

Yes I run in circles where we bring food or drinks to family and friends when we get together. We call it sharing.

If I had a friend who was on hard times, I would not hesitate to offer what I had if he wanted it. If I had friends who came over a few times a week to drink my free beer when I know they could afford to pitch in, I would start running out of beer for them.

I think a good solution (well for times when you invite more than a few people over) is to make the statement as part of the invitation, to BYOB or $5 for home brew. I think most people would be happy to drink all evening for $5, and let's face it, most people can understand that you can't just give away beer all the time. I think if just one or two people are coming over, though, this wouldn't be appropriate.

This appears to be another of those "recurring threads." It would never occur to me to charge any guest for beer......but given the number of occasions, and the number of guests that we deal with, that would never be a problem for me in any case.

Given what appears to be going on here, it's time for people to share the load- host their own get-togethers, or, failing in that, to pull their own weight by bringing their own drinks, or chip in to buy ingredients if it's homebrew they want. They buy the stuff, you brew the beer sounds like an equitable arrangement to me.

Ideally they would just pitch in to help me get ingredients. I'm a college student and while my financial situation isn't dire I don't have tons of extra funds. I love hosting and sharing my brew but people got too used to it, and there really isn't much reciprocation outside of one or two people. I'm liking the tip jar idea and will tell people that nothing can get brewed until there is money for ingredients, just trying to cover costs.

I can relate to being a college student and people mooching your homebrew. But since you're in college, I feel like asking for money for your booze is commonplace. I'll ask friends to pitch in for homebrews if there are a lot being consumed, or a large number of people doing the consuming.

1. Get everyone wasted
2. Put a tip jar out
3. Have everyone make a secret donation
4. When they leave, call the cops and report the lowest tipper as a drunk driver.

After a few rounds, you will only have good tippers left to come over.

1. Get everyone wasted
2. Put a tip jar out
3. Have everyone make a secret donation
4. When they leave, call the cops and report the lowest tipper as a drunk driver.

After a few rounds, you will only have good tippers left to come over.

Hahahahaha! That's the best solution so far! :D

i certainly agree with the masses. If you have a few people over occasionally, let them grab a few beers. When they start expecting it or running into your supply too heavily or dont provide you beers at their house, then there is something to be said.

Tip jar, a little talk, ingredient list with prices, something. It is just not right for friends to do that. That is using someone and something should be said.

1. Pay toilet

2. Invite people to bring food. It's much more socially acceptable than asking for money.

3. Develop a new recipe, a Moocher Special Extra Pale. Maybe it could become a new official style. You could be sort of famous.

i certainly agree with the masses. If you have a few people over occasionally, let them grab a few beers. When they start expecting it or running into your supply too heavily or dont provide you beers at their house, then there is something to be said.

Tip jar, a little talk, ingredient list with prices, something. It is just not right for friends to do that. That is using someone and something should be said.

I got the impression that not only were they coming over on a regular basis, but they were also inviting themselves, or at least trying to. Having the audacity to invite yourself over throws out the general rules of civility.

"Sorry the keg is empty, switching over to triple hopped Miller Lite in Vortex bottles!"

I'm wanting to devise a magnetic donation box to keep right on the kegerator. I've been keeping my eyes out for some kind of mail slot/bill box kind of thing I can attach magnets to. So far I've not found anything that seems right for the task.

I did receive $10 from a buddy last night for beer donations, though he was only drinking SA Summer Ale. I really need to do a wit again since that is what most of my friends prefer. :p

I have no problems asking my buddies to throw me a couple of bucks if they want to drink more than a pint or two. I regularly host get-togethers, especially since I started kegging, and my friends are always very generous and willing to toss me a few bucks to supplement what I pay to make beer. I figure, if I go to a party where my friends have a keg, I'm gonna throw them some cash to help cover it - likewise, if my friends are going to come over to my place where I have a keg, whether it's full of homebrew or not, they can do the same, and they have all been willing to do that.

Back